Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default USPSA Prod Div: XD9 Tactical or Glock 34

Hello all, looking for some simple opinions on a gun for USPSA Production Division. 2 guns I'm looking at are the XD9 5" Tactical, or the Glock 34. I've basically narrowed it down from a list of others, so please try to keep it between these two - I'd prefer no other gun recommendations as they aren't helping me at this point.

Here are my break downs:
    I'm slightly partial to the XDs grip over the Glock, but that being said I've shot both and neither feels uncomfortable. Cost wise, the cheapest I've been able to find each puts the Glock at about $100 more than the XD (big + to the XD). The Glocks barrel is about 0.3" longer (+ to G34). Both have readily available trigger kits for around $100 (wash). I hate the factory sights on the Glock and would have to switch those (- to G34) but do not mind the sights on the XD (+ to the XD). The Glock unloaded is a few peas over 7.0 oz lighter than the XD unloaded (+ to G34). Both have mags over 10 round capacity which is the limit for production excluding the first mag with 11 (wash) - I'll probably buy mec-gars with AFC anyway.

Cost is a big factor for me. That extra $100 I can save going with the XD will be the cost of a trigger job, and since I like the XD's sights (for now) I could have the gun finished for the same cost of the Glock without any mods. If I went with the Glock I would have to swap the trigger and the sights which will add at least another $100-200 (depending on the sights I go with) to the already $100 more expensive gun. That said there are benefits to the Glock with the weight and length advantages. The other benefit to the Glock that the XD does not have quite as much of are aftermarket parts. The Glock mags will be cheaper, and since I'll need 4-5 that will add up slightly. All in all, the glock will probably end up being about $250-$325 more expensive to have a complete set up compared to the XD.

I know both will perform very well, and some of the more advanced shooters at my local clubs (one grandmaster in production) know a lot about trigger jobs/mods with both guns... Any pros/cons to either gun that I haven't thought of in regard to USPSA prod div shooting? Thanks

--NMO4

(Pike County)

Default Re: USPSA Prod Div: XD9 Tactical or Glock 34

I don't think you can go wrong with either. I started USPSA shooting (before there was such a thing as "production division") with a G35. For Limited and Limited-10, it was limiting ;->

Once production came around, I had already started shooting IDPA with an MP40 - not because a .40 is optimal, but because I had literally 10's of thousands of cases and heads laying around. Free ammo is a pretty compelling edge. I found the MP to give something away to the XD and to be about on par with the Glock, for me anyway.

I'm going XDm for production and looking to buy another one to build an open gun. One vote for the XD platform.

(Cumberland County)

I bought the XD9 Tactical about a year ago and run about 500 rounds of all kinds of factory load ammo through it with no problems. I made the choice over the Glock because the grip just felt more natural.

Don't think you'll go wrong with either gun but XD9 is definitely a quality item.

I shoot a XD40 tactical in limited 10 and love it. I also have a XD9 tactical that i can change out the top and put it on my limited lower to make a great 3gun pistol. I choose the Xd over the glock for grip angle. I am a 1911 lover at heart and the XD feels like bastard child of glock and a 1911. I have a powder river trigger installed and its dam near as nice as my 1911 and have never felt a trigger half as good on a glock.

Due to shooting the xd's so much i even switched out my carry gun. I love the ambi mag release, allows me to drop the mag without changing my grip.

Last edited by Pagoda240; June 14th, 2011 at 07:33 PM.
    Tantric Shooting Team

(Lackawanna County)

I love my g34! It has a lighter then stock trigger right from the factory as well as extended mag and slide releases. To me I can never get past the absurdly large slide and top heaviness of the xd's. They are great pistols no doubt and either will suit you fine.

(York County)

The XD for sure. I agree with Otter the grip feels a ton better. I've used a glock alot before and didnt like it. I'm a XD guy 100%. And there is alot of aftermarket barrels around for them too.

(Cumberland County)

Wink Re: USPSA Prod Div: XD9 Tactical or Glock 34

they both are great guns, what it comes down to is what feels best in your hand and what shoots best for you. i'm making the assumption that you have tried both platforms. don't let a few dollars be the deciding factor, go with the results you get at the range.

(Chester County)

The XD slides are too heavy, and the reset on the Glock is better. Both will give a competitive edge to the Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagoda240 View Post
    I shoot a XD40 tactical in limited 10 and love it. I also have a XD9 tactical that i can change out the top and put it on my limited lower to make a great 3gun pistol. I choose the Xd over the glock for grip angle. I am a 1911 lover at heart and the XD feels like bastard child of glock and a 1911. I have a powder river trigger installed and its dam near as nice as my 1911 and have never felt a trigger half as good on a glock.

Due to shooting the xd's so much i even switched out my carry gun. I love the ambi mag release, allows me to drop the mag without changing my grip.
    Good point on the ambi mag release! I totally overlooked that. Rep to you. That will help me with my mag changes as I won't have to change my grip to drop the mag. May not seem like a lot to those that don't run USPSA, but those seconds add up!

Quote Originally Posted by fastfive0 View Post
    I love my g34! It has a lighter then stock trigger right from the factory as well as extended mag and slide releases. To me I can never get past the absurdly large slide and top heaviness of the xd's. They are great pistols no doubt and either will suit you fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    The XD slides are too heavy, and the reset on the Glock is better. Both will give a competitive edge to the Glock.
    I am partial to the slide and mag release on the XD. Either trigger will be swapped out regardless as stated in my OP.

Quote Originally Posted by FogleDW View Post
    ...I'm a XD guy 100%...
    Quote Originally Posted by red dog View Post
    they both are great guns, what it comes down to is what feels best in your hand and what shoots best for you. i'm making the assumption that you have tried both platforms. don't let a few dollars be the deciding factor, go with the results you get at the range.
    Me too. I just didn't want to discount the Glock. Its a great gun, I'm just partial to the XDs grip.

Thank you to all those that responded with good points on both guns. I believe I have made my decision.

(Berks County)

Both are great guns and have their pro's & con's as you've stated. I bought an XD9 Tactical a few months ago with the intentions of getting into competition shooting with Pagoda240. Unfortunately life got in the way and I haven't been able to do it. If you're looking for an XD9 Tactical mine has exactly 100 rounds through it (from the day I bought it, I took it right into the range and put them through it than put it back in the case where it's sat since ).

You can PM me and we can work something out. I would much rather see it go to someone who would use it as it just sits there since I carry my Glock 19 daily. I'm actually looking for a Glock 34 instead since I'm just more used to the Glock grip angle and all my G19 parts/mags will work with it saving me some money in the long run.

You can see pics of the XD in my collection thread.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast