Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Ruger MKIII purchase??

I was looking to get a .22lr pistol to do some more shooting on the cheap. I like the Ruger MKIII and I shot one the other day at my local range. Thought it was nice, but I've heard they can be PITA to disassemble and reassemble. Anyone with experience care to chime in. The one I was looking at is only gonna cost me around $200 slightly used, but still looks good. Its the 5.5" bull barrel version. Seem like a good deal?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Ruger MKIII purchase??

Quote Originally Posted by MLN View Post
    I was looking to get a .22lr pistol to do some more shooting on the cheap. I like the Ruger MKIII and I shot one the other day at my local range. Thought it was nice, but I've heard they can be PITA to disassemble and reassemble. Anyone with experience care to chime in. The one I was looking at is only gonna cost me around $200 slightly used, but still looks good. Its the 5.5" bull barrel version. Seem like a good deal?
    I've got the 22/45 model w/adjustable sights (pic below).
    It's a tack driver, as you probably discovered. Absolutely, a ton 'o fun to shoot, reliable, and will (at least mine) shoot the ultra cheap Wally World Federal 550 Value Pack ammo.

Don't be discouraged by the disassembly horror stories. First, even if it was as horrible an experience, as some say, it's still worth it. But, the process really isn't that bad. There are quite a number of videos on YouTube that are helpful, but the bottom line is this:
    There are points in the disassembly/re-assembly process when the gun needs to be (or should be) oriented a certain way (muzzle down, muzzle up, etc). There are times when you need to insert an empty mag and dry fire (yes - okay per Ruger), and remove the mag. But, though it's a series of steps you need to follow exactly, they aren't difficult steps.

The biggest issue I had was removing the barrel. Some come off easily, but with others, it seems to take a little persuasion with a non-marking rubber or nylon mallet. Again, not the end of the world, and I only do that about every third cleaning. With the bolt removed, you can do a good job of "routine" cleaning.

I picked mine up for $169, in pristine condition. I think that was an exceptionally good deal, but I've seen them new for in the $260-$275 range. Around $200 isn't bad, but they're relatively easy to find used (or used/unfired), and maybe you can do a bit better.

"I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

Good deal. Bite. Ive got the same one. Shoots very nice. The first time I took it apart I scratched my head for about 15 seconds before the lightbulb went off. Been a sinch ever since.

I feel like a lot of people are so used to the simple design of todays polymer guns being a simple frame, slide, barrel and guide rod/spring that if its any more complicated whining quickly ensues. I get enjoyment out of figuring out how a new gun works... but not as much as how a new gun shoots!

(Montgomery County)

I'm pretty good with disassembly of guns so I didn't think it was anything I couldn't handle just wanted to hear from some owners. It is def a tack driver! I was shooting tight groups at 15yrds the first time I shot it. Def more accurate with it than the P22's I have shot.

(Allegheny County)

Not that it matters, shoots like a laser, fantastic. But...

only have to phuck with the antique takedown/reassembly once or twice to say phuck it. There are many other good guns out there without having to stand on 1-foot oriented towards Neptune on the 2nd Tuesday of the 4th week in an odd-numbered month while swinging a hammer to get the pin in.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by MLN View Post
    I'm pretty good with disassembly of guns so I didn't think it was anything I couldn't handle just wanted to hear from some owners. It is def a tack driver! I was shooting tight groups at 15yrds the first time I shot it. Def more accurate with it than the P22's I have shot.
    Yeah, ya know, $200 is certainly fair, and me, being the rather impulsive/want it now kinda guy, it's fair enough that if I wanted the gun, I'd go for it. And, I agree with NoMoreOp4. I don't consider gun cleaning to be a chore. If it takes a few clicks, twists, pulls, etc, to disassemble, really, . . who cares? That process provides a few moments of "quiet time", and though it doesn't compare to shooting the gun, it's still provides a type of enjoyment of it's own.
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Montgomery County)

Yea I like the cleaning process...spent about 2 hours detail cleaning my AR last night. Drank a few beers listened to some tunes... I like that.

As far as the gun, it is at my local shop. I like to deal with the owner, and I am trading in another gun to take away some of the price so I find it as a deal that is hard to pass up. I'm def an impulse/buy it now kinda guy...made that mistake buying a Diamondback DB380 which I hate! Should have held out and picked up a Sig P238.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    Not that it matters, shoots like a laser, fantastic. But...

only have to phuck with the antique takedown/reassembly once or twice to say phuck it. There are many other good guns out there without having to stand on 1-foot oriented towards Neptune on the 2nd Tuesday of the 4th week in an odd-numbered month while swinging a hammer to get the pin in.
    I understand your feelings. There's no denying you make a valid point, as there are many people that go with another gun for that very reason. The only thing I'd add is that it (especially the pin) gets easier over time, and that considering the reputation, quality and ease of being accurate with it (all guns are more accurate than we are), I think it remains a great choice at that price point. I've got a Walther P22, which I love (a breeze to take down/clean), and I've fondled and shot a S&W 22A, which is also a great gun, and perhaps a great alternative to the MK III (though it's not "Glock easy" to take down either).

Now, that I think about it, I may even have commented here (somewhere) about the need to "do the hokey pokey" to get the MKIII apart. But, after some time with it, it really is pretty much second nature.

I suppose it comes down to whether or not a person feels they should have to jump through those "hoops" at all, and though I think it's worth it, not everyone does.

Idk, maybe its just me, but I didn't have that hard of a time with it? Only part I got frustrated with was placing the back part into the grip frame. Then I realized I was supposed to be pulling the trigger and, ta-da, it slid right in. (thats what she said)

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by NoMoreOp4 View Post
    Idk, maybe its just me, but I didn't have that hard of a time with it? Only part I got frustrated with was placing the back part into the grip frame. Then I realized I was supposed to be pulling the trigger and, ta-da, it slid right in. (thats what she said)
    LOL. Exactly my "light bulb" experience. Point the muzzle up at a 45 degree angle. Put mag in, pull trigger, drop mag, and close take-down lever. If it doesn't have the spring tension on it, I "shakey shakey", then close it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast