Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Sinking Spring/Wernersville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

Default Chatroom=bad; how about an "IM"?

So A bunch of people made very valid point as to why a chat room is a bad idea. How about some way to instant message others that are currently on the site? I sort of have a vision for something like the IM box on facebook.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

(Allegheny County)

Talking Re: Chatroom=bad; how about an "IM"?

That's what the little symbols below our 'power rankings' stands for. the "Y!" means you can IM me through my Yay-hoOoOoOoOoOo identity.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Chatroom=bad; how about an "IM"?

Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    That's what the little symbols below our 'power rankings' stands for. the "Y!" means you can IM me through my Yay-hoOoOoOoOoOo identity.
    We can send a message from the PAFOA site to the individual IM's? That is actually a great feature, but I would like to point out that, while people have those messenger accounts, they may not be always used. I have an account for most of the major messengers but don't have them all on. This would be a site only type IM.

Thank you though for pointing that out to me, I did not know that and I think it is very cool.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

Quote Originally Posted by acosenza2 View Post
    So A bunch of people made very valid point as to why a chat room is a bad idea. How about some way to instant message others that are currently on the site? I sort of have a vision for something like the IM box on facebook.
    Why not exchange IM ids with people you want to chat with, and hitting them up to chat when you see them log in to IM?

(Delaware County)

I think an IM system would definitely put a bit of a load on the server.

I agree with what FNG19 said. if you want to IM with someone, hit them up on facebook or get their IM information. We could also get an unofficial IRC chat going again.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Berks County)

All very valid points. I was just thinking of something that would be instant, which could mean you don't have their IM info. Just an idea I was throwing out there. Eh, some ideas are bad ones. Thanks for the feedback.

(Beaver County)

I'm not sure what the rules are here but if enough people are interested I have enough server space to setup an unofficial chat room. I do not have time to moderate and babysit so someone trusted that has the time would have to moderate.

One thing that worked on a site I was an Admin at were scheduled group chat times. The rest of the time the chat would be closed. Cut down on all of the crap involved and with a scheduled chat there were always enough mod's and admins.

Is there an official PAFOA Facebook group?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by bcpistolshooter View Post
    I'm not sure what the rules are here but if enough people are interested I have enough server space to setup an unofficial chat room. I do not have time to moderate and babysit so someone trusted that has the time would have to moderate.

One thing that worked on a site I was an Admin at were scheduled group chat times. The rest of the time the chat would be closed. Cut down on all of the crap involved and with a scheduled chat there were always enough mod's and admins.

Is there an official PAFOA Facebook group?
    set up a server, I'm sure people would use it. I'd love to hop in it.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
    set up a server, I'm sure people would use it. I'd love to hop in it.
    I will see if more people show interest. If there are enough I can get something working pretty fast.

(Allegheny County)

Lightbulb Re: Chatroom=bad; how about an "IM"?

Calguns.net has a chat server imbedded in their web board, but I don't know the specifics of what it is, how it works, etc. (I just build computers - software is a whole 'nother ballgame!!!). Maybe someone computer savvy could check and see how theirs works, because that's a HUGE honkin' board!!! If they can pull it off, and not crash the entire interweb, I'm sure someone in PA is smart enough to do the same for us!