Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: attitude

Default attitude

I've been on a couple of other forums where a lot of LEO's are also members so I thought I'd ask a question here too...if you currently are or once was a LEO what are your thoughts on civilians that carry concealed or openly legally? Just curious...

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: attitude

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cavalier View Post
    I've been on a couple of other forums where a lot of LEO's are also members so I thought I'd ask a question here too...if you currently are or once was a LEO what are your thoughts on civilians that carry concealed or openly legally? Just curious...
    As a former LEO, I wish more citizens carried... period. I dont care if its OC, CC, or even a rifle. More law abiding citizens visibly armed deters crime. Personally, I feel that PA's carry laws should recieve much more attention during training and refreshed much more thoroughly. To many people and LEOS learn that "gun = bad/crazy". OC, while I do it frequently, is at present, helpful to bring normalcyof gun ownership to non carriers, and most OCERS are going to know the law thoroughly... and have the patience and grace to explain it to neophytes and mistaken savantes alike.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ten*K View Post
    As a former LEO, I wish more citizens carried... period. I dont care if its OC, CC, or even a rifle. More law abiding citizens visibly armed deters crime. Personally, I feel that PA's carry laws should recieve much more attention during training and refreshed much more thoroughly. To many people and LEOS learn that "gun = bad/crazy". OC, while I do it frequently, is at present, helpful to bring normalcyof gun ownership to non carriers, and most OCERS are going to know the law thoroughly... and have the patience and grace to explain it to neophytes and mistaken savantes alike.
    awesome post !!
    -----

I've only interacted with a few cops, but the scarce few that I've talked to about this expressed similar opinions. I am friends with the police chief of the town that my district is in. We always talk about our latest guns etc... He has no problem with armed citizens at all, and expresses a very similar attitude as you do. Unfortunately for most law enforcement officers, it doesn't take very many bad eggs to spoil the whole basket for most of us. We have an inherent distrust for authority, because of the abuse that seems ever so common. I wish I had the chance to speak with more pro 2a cops, and get this bad taste out of my mouth.
    I am not a lawyer !!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ten*K View Post
    Great post & well stated ! Thanks
    Jesus is Lord !

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

Ask some Baltimore city PD, and not the officers who moved to southern PA. A friend of mine asked some that were on duty and they didn't like OC at all, and were weird about CC. They said that "there are too many guns on the streets and it will just make it harder for us if 'everyone' is carrying". Maryland is gonna have a heck of a learning curve in the future. If we get open carry, it will be as if all of metro central MD is one giant Philly. MD is so xenophobic and myopic that "they" don't even realize that the state is surrounded by shall-issue and open carry ( except that area that borders DC). Citizen carry is not seen as anything exciting anymore in those 4 border states- it is normal for the most part ( with exception of some cities who just don't get it).
    LOL, I am a woman...

Thank you for answering my question Ten*K...do other LEOs feel as you? I know I want to know the laws governing this through and through and I want to keep up on the changes to it and the changes to LEO opinions to make sure I do everything by the book...carrying a weapon is a great responsibility

jshwak I know what you mean man...I always wonder why a lot of police have attitudes, is it taught in the academy, is it a necessary psych tool? Don't get me wrong I respect LEOs and applaud them for the job they do but to quote you," a few bad eggs spoil it for the everyone", Even in the service some had 'tudes...I think this helps foster negative feelings toward them. I asked the question because I wanted an inkling to their feelings on the matter. After reading read Ten*K's answer I'll feel more at ease when I carry. But I have to tell ya', I wouldn't want their job...keep up the good work guys!

(Lehigh County)

I have active Leo friends. One is a carry advocate, doesn't care how. One is fine with carry, thinks OC is not a bright idea, but accepts it as law. Last one says he is ok with civilian carry, but he thinks there should be mandatory training. He and I also think you should have to get a license to breed, as the majority of problems come from people who's parents should never have been allowed to insert tab A into slot A.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

I used to be a Constable many Years ago. I open carry on a regular basis and support those that do. I pass out OC flyers every time the opportunity presents itself. I wish more people would carry either CC or OC.
    I still see alot of LEO's and my OC has not gone unnoticed. One more than one occasion I have had to school some of the guys, one of them a Sgt. !
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

I worked for a local PD in a civilian capacity a decade ago and am pleased to say that the general attitude was in favor of citizens carrying. In my own experiences of carrying in some form or another for 32 years now I can say I have never been given anything but respect by LEOs upon learning I was armed. By respect I mean they didn't say anything negative about my firearm and accepted that the law allows me to do what I do. A gun has never caused an issue in any contacts I have had with police.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast