Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Fayette County)

Question Sig Sauer Training Acadamy

Just curious if anyone here has ever taken any of the courses at the Sig Academy?

If so, what did you think?

Years ago, I took a MOUT (Military Operations in Urban Terrain) course at a private gun club in Colorado and really had a great experience. But that wasn't anything that Sig Sauer hosted.

Here's a list of courses that they offer for anyone else interested:

http://www.sigsaueracademy.com/Courses/

Im sure being Sig Sauer, the instructors, classes and training faculties have got to be some of the best in the country.

"One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Sig Sauer Training Acadamy

Back in the mid-90s, my wife and I both had the chance to train with Bank Miller, at that time Director of Training for the Sigarms Academy. This was during the Advanced Law Enforcement Officers Training Camp in Utah. Both of us took the class at different times.

The training that he provided was good (we both gave it a solid "B" for a rating). Since that time, they have changed things around at the Sigarms Academy from what I have heard/read. It appears that they are doing some good stuff there.

Since I stopped carrying/shooting Sigs in 2005, I haven't really looked at doing any training at Sigarms, but your thread got me to look at their curriculum again.

Some interesting stuff and since I am living on the East Coast now (moved here from the Pac NW 8 years ago), it might be fun to drive up there for a class in the future. Specially in the Fall, I would love to see that part of the country during that time of year.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by Orive 8 View Post
    Back in the mid-90s, my wife and I both had the chance to train with Bank Miller, at that time Director of Training for the Sigarms Academy. This was during the Advanced Law Enforcement Officers Training Camp in Utah. Both of us took the class at different times.

The training that he provided was good (we both gave it a solid "B" for a rating). Since that time, they have changed things around at the Sigarms Academy from what I have heard/read. It appears that they are doing some good stuff there.

Since I stopped carrying/shooting Sigs in 2005, I haven't really looked at doing any training at Sigarms, but your thread got me to look at their curriculum again.

Some interesting stuff and since I am living on the East Coast now (moved here from the Pac NW 8 years ago), it might be fun to drive up there for a class in the future. Specially in the Fall, I would love to see that part of the country during that time of year.

Thanks for the post.

I was also thinking about doing it in the fall.

Here's the one I would like to take:

http://www.sigsaueracademy.com/Cours...x?CourseID=121

Close Quarter Pistol Operator

Duration: 1 day / 8 hours

Overview

Principles of Close Quarters Engagements
    Point vs. Precision Shooting
    Bent Elbow Shooting
    Strike and Shoot Techniques
    The Contact Shot
    Dealing with Multiple Threats Up Close

Notes
    Estimated round count: 300 rounds

For Epping, NH courses, non-toxic, non-jacketed FRANGIBLE pistol ammunition may be required. Ammunition is available for purchase at the Epping facility only. Call for details.

Equipment List:

Pistol or revolver in one of the following calibers: .380, 9MM, .357SIG, ,38SPL, .357 Magnum, .40S&W, or .45ACP (no other calibers allowed)
    3 magazines or 4 speedloaders/ moon clips/ speed strips minimum
    Belt mounted, dominant side concealment holster
    Magazine Pouches
    Sturdy Belt at least 1.5” wide
    Concealment jacket or vest (optional)
    Footwear suitable for rapid movement and turning
    Casual, comfortable civilian clothing suitable for training in any weather (unless training in duty uniform)
    Hydration system
    Sunscreen and bugspray
    Hat with a brim
    Wraparound eyewear, polycarbonate lenses or non-shattering prescription glasses
    Earmuffs and earplugs
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Allegheny County)

I also had a chance to train with Bank Miller some years ago in a CQ course and and Sig Protectors course..Bank was and still is an awesome instructor and the Sig courses are outstanding..
    P.M. Protective Enterprises LLC.

(Allegheny County)

you do know you have some of the top instructors in the world locally right here in Pittsburgh doing classes, right ?

(Allegheny County)

ShawnL. "you do know you have some of the top instructors in the world locally right here in Pittsburgh doing classes, right ?"

Yeah, there have been some good classes/instructors coming out to the Pittsburgh area during the last couple of years.

But for me and my wife, after 25 years of training (with over 30+ courses under our belts) sometimes it's not just about who we are training with anymore, sometimes its where we are training at.

Sometimes the facility, or part of the country that we are going to train at, has as much to do with who/where we train with or at. For us, travelling to take a class has never been a problem - for many years, our vacations centered on training classes.

We try to look at the whole picture when we make a determination of what class we want to take. And for me specifically, the classes that I look to take now, are different than the ones that I looked to take when I was an active LEO.

Last year I took four classes, two in the Pittsburgh area, one in Ohio, and one in Allentown.

I am always on the search for a possible next class!

Otto
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Orive 8 View Post
    ShawnL. "you do know you have some of the top instructors in the world locally right here in Pittsburgh doing classes, right ?"

Yeah, there have been some good classes/instructors coming out to the Pittsburgh area during the last couple of years.

But for me and my wife, after 25 years of training (with over 30+ courses under our belts) sometimes it's not just about who we are training with anymore, sometimes its where we are training at.

Sometimes the facility, or part of the country that we are going to train at, has as much to do with who/where we train with or at. For us, travelling to take a class has never been a problem - for many years, our vacations centered on training classes.

We try to look at the whole picture when we make a determination of what class we want to take. And for me specifically, the classes that I look to take now, are different than the ones that I looked to take when I was an active LEO.

Last year I took four classes, two in the Pittsburgh area, one in Ohio, and one in Allentown.

I am always on the search for a possible next class!

Otto
    I hear ya !
    Im taking my 2nd trip to the USTC this year coming up soon, and will prob be in Virginia and back to USTC at least once more before the years out in addtion to the 4 local classes Im in

I was speaking more to Riccochette , who as far as I know besides the MOUT he just now mentioned doesnt have any prior formal training.

(Northampton County)

I have taken Close Quarters Pistol, Advanced Concealed Carry, Low Light / No Light and shot some steel at the Eping facility.

I also had the opportunity to run one of the instructor's STI Grand Master on the steel course as well as put a few rounds through a Blaser in .338LM while I was there.

A friend of mine has also done the Bullets on Vehicles, EP, CQ long gun and trident courses there and raves about them.

They get a decent rate at the local hotels of around $80 a night.

Their prices on frangible ammo are more than fair, even though you're captive. I tried to find cheaper ammo online prior to going, but the prices on site were still the best. Don't get me wrong - my ammo bill was still over $600, but it was totally worth it.

The facilities and instructors are top notch and it's a beautiful area to train. You'll be to tired at the end of the dyay to do much sight seeing, but if you can swing it, stay a few extra days and check out Portsmouth, NH and Kittery, ME.
    Complete equality isn't compatible with democracy, but it is agreeable to totalitarianism. After all the only way to ensure the equality of the slothful, the inept and the immoral is to suppress everyone else. - Iain Benson

i took 103, suppose to be an intermediate class. class started at 830, fired 1st shot at 1030, by lunch break i didn't fired a mag. we shot shot 300rds by the end of class but it moved really slow, there were at least 1 guy that never fired a semi auto.

i complained about it was offered to retake that class if i wanted to.

ammo wasn't being sold to for revenue. infact it was on the honor system. sig let you used any of their gun and the instructors where cool but a little too PC. overall i wasn't happy. I complained to the instructors and shot sig an email about the screen process.

will i go back, probably.

you probably won't run into this problem with the more advance classes

I flew into manchester, 69.00 on southwest. rented a car there (prebooked) for about $10.00 a day.

(Montgomery County)

I enjoyed all the classes I have taken at the Sig Academy. Got to network with some great folks. I always fly into Boston and rent a car so I can see the local landmarks and enjoy some great New England seafood. Have a great time!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast