Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Converting a shotgun...

SO I have a single shot 20 gauge, and I have had some ideas that I have been mulling over.

If I wanted to shorten it to a SBS, would it be considered an SBS or an AOW?
    I want to chop down the barrel to around 12-14 inches and chop down the stock to a pistol grip.

I am thinking this may be considered an SBS only because it came with a buttstock not a pistol grip. What hoops would I need to jump through?
    Or would I be better off getting a super-shorty?

I was going to post it in the nfa but I figured since it would be mostly DIY it would go here.
    <-Click For My Youtube [Don't waive your rights with your flags. -Sage Francis]

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Converting a shotgun...

If you cut the barrel shorter than 18.5 inches you will need to get a $200.00tax stamp.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    If you cut the barrel shorter than 18.5 inches you will need to get a $200.00tax stamp.
    emm, figured that...
    Guess ill just go with a super-shorty, transfers with a 5$ Stamp, as it is an AOW

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by NuclearSociety View Post
    SO I have a single shot 20 gauge, and I have had some ideas that I have been mulling over.

If I wanted to shorten it to a SBS, would it be considered an SBS or an AOW?
    I want to chop down the barrel to around 12-14 inches and chop down the stock to a pistol grip.

I am thinking this may be considered an SBS only because it came with a buttstock not a pistol grip. What hoops would I need to jump through?
    Or would I be better off getting a super-shorty?

I was going to post it in the nfa but I figured since it would be mostly DIY it would go here.
    Some single shots can end up being a SBS even if you have a barrel length of 20 inches. The overall length must be considered too, which if it is under 26" it becomes an NFA device.

If it has ever had a shoulderstock on it - it cannot be an AOW.

Making of any NFA device is $200.

With the Serbu, you will pay $5 for the transfer - but you will also pay about $600-$700 for the gun. With the single shot you have on hand, all you'd pay is another $200.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post

If it has ever had a shoulderstock on it - it cannot be an AOW.
    not so, there are AOWs with shoulder stocks
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Luzerne County)

It seems to me that there are a few things to consider when trying to decide to SBR or SBS a firearm.

What is the value of the gun to be converted? I myself would not do it with a gun that is a $100.00 beater.

What will this accomplish? Sure it would be cool. But now what do I do with it.

Resale value. Can you recoup what you have put into the gun? Will there be anyone else who think it is cool enough to get a tax stamp?

This is a few things that come to mind
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    not so, there are AOWs with shoulder stocks
    Oh? Got a couple examples?
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Franklin County)

im interested in that statement too

(Cumberland County)

Talking Re: Converting a shotgun...

go the super shorty route, i love mine. i put a houge pistol grip on it and the recoil is quite manageable. the new pdx defense loads are a bit intimidating the first time you use them but the pattern on target is amazing. one big hole in the middle with three smaller holes around it. i was plesantly surprised at how well this gun instinct points out to 25 yds. oo buck also works well. try bear paw arms if you are shopping he keeps them in stock and his pricing is better than most. i also recomend the holster it beats the heck out of hand carrying.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by red dog View Post
    go the super shorty route, i love mine. i put a houge pistol grip on it and the recoil is quite manageable. the new pdx defense loads are a bit intimidating the first time you use them but the pattern on target is amazing. one big hole in the middle with three smaller holes around it. i was plesantly surprised at how well this gun instinct points out to 25 yds. oo buck also works well. try bear paw arms if you are shopping he keeps them in stock and his pricing is better than most. i also recomend the holster it beats the heck out of hand carrying.
    Yeah I am thinking of getting the Remington 870 version so I can get a knoxx recoil reducing pistol grip aka breachers grip

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast