Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Dauphin County)

Default SBR question for ACR with interchangeable barrels.

How are ACR purchases handled since the weapon has interchangeable barrels (10.5", 14.5", 16.5", 18"). Is each barrel serialized?

If not, one buys the ACR with a 16.5" or 18" barrel this would be a standard long gun sale. How does one go about getting the shorter barrel(s) and doing the paper work?

If the ACR is purchased with 14.5" barrel as SBR, can one simply buy the 10.5" barrel and swap it or is there more paper work?
    NRA Life Member. OC is comfy!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: SBR question for ACR with interchangeable barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Bullock View Post
    How are ACR purchases handled since the weapon has interchangeable barrels (10.5", 14.5", 16.5", 18"). Is each barrel serialized?

If not, one buys the ACR with a 16.5" or 18" barrel this would be a standard long gun sale. How does one go about getting the shorter barrel(s) and doing the paper work?

If the ACR is purchased with 14.5" barrel as SBR, can one simply buy the 10.5" barrel and swap it or is there more paper work?
    I beleive they are only available with a 16" barrel right now. You would have to buy one and SBR it yourself, either get the barrel cut or wait til Bushmaster has shorter barrels available.

I just bought an ACR and my plans are to do a SBR in 10.5", by the time I'm ready the barrels should be available.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    I beleive they are only available with a 16" barrel right now. You would have to buy one and SBR it yourself, either get the barrel cut or wait til Bushmaster has shorter barrels available.

I just bought an ACR and my plans are to do a SBR in 10.5", by the time I'm ready the barrels should be available.
    The process question still remains. How will the SBR issue be handled on a platform where you can change barrels easily and should have a choice of multiple barrel lengths which two are SBR material after you purchase the non-SBR rifle 16.5 or 18 inch version. And once you have an SBR will the 10.5 and 14.5 need separate paperwork?

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Bullock View Post
    The process question still remains. How will the SBR issue be handled on a platform where you can change barrels easily and should have a choice of multiple barrel lengths which two are SBR material after you purchase the non-SBR rifle 16.5 or 18 inch version. And once you have an SBR will the 10.5 and 14.5 need separate paperwork?
    If you want a barrel shorter than 16" on your rifle, engrave it and register it as SBR. Then put whatever barrel you want on it as your mood changes each day during the week. Most people say to keep a barrel/upper of the registered length because if you don't have it then it's probably a permanent change that has not been recorded. I don't do SBRs so you'll have to look into that yourself.

As said, just register it as an SBR and do all the barrel switching you want.

The barrels aren't serialized. The serial numbered receiver is the gun, that's the only thing that gets registered. You can switch out to different length barrels all you want, though as said you should have the parts available to go back to the originally registered length. However, if you would want to get rid of a certain length barrel that you registered it as, I believe you can have the registered length changed if you really wanted to. Don't know if it's necessary though.

I have an AR registered as having a 10.5" barrel. But I can switch to uppers with barrels of other lengths.

(Dauphin County)

Thanks for the responses.