Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Laws regarding person to person firearms purchases.

Forgive me if this has been answered but I can't seem to find reliable information on the legal issues regarding gun purchases.

I'm looking to possibly buy a gun or guns from another non-dealer PA resident. I really don't know the history of the guns. What laws will apply when purchasing from another private individual? I assume the laws for long guns and handguns are different. Do they need to be registered? Do I (or can I?) do a check to insure they aren't stolen? If you're unable to trace the history, can I be held legally responsible if they do turn out to be stolen? How about the purchase of ammunition?

Also, I moved to PA and brought two guns with me, one handgun, one shotgun. The handgun I bought from another individual and isn't registered to my knowledge. Do I need to register it? I purchased the shotgun at a sporting goods store and can't remember the forms I filled out but I assume it's registered in my name. Lastly, I have a hand me down family shotgun from the 1930s. Do I need to do anything with it legally?

Any link to the laws regarding any of these questions would be helpful. I do not have a LTCF at the moment but I plan on getting one.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Laws regarding person to person firearms purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by palib View Post

Also, I moved to PA and brought two guns with me, one handgun, one shotgun. The handgun I bought from another individual and isn't registered to my knowledge. Do I need to register it? I purchased the shotgun at a sporting goods store and can't remember the forms I filled out but I assume it's registered in my name. Lastly, I have a hand me down family shotgun from the 1930s. Do I need to do anything with it legally?
    If you are a Legal resident of PA , over 21 , and can pass a Federal "NICS"
    check ( like when you buy a shotgun at a store )you may possess any longgun or handgun you obtained legally. You don't have to do any paperwork.

In order to CARRY a handgun in PA you will need to get a license.

Here is all the Legal Stuff...........

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by palib View Post
    Forgive me if this has been answered but I can't seem to find reliable information on the legal issues regarding gun purchases.

I'm looking to possibly buy a gun or guns from another non-dealer PA resident. I really don't know the history of the guns. What laws will apply when purchasing from another private individual? I assume the laws for long guns and handguns are different. Do they need to be registered? Do I (or can I?) do a check to insure they aren't stolen? If you're unable to trace the history, can I be held legally responsible if they do turn out to be stolen? How about the purchase of ammunition?

Any link to the laws regarding any of these questions would be helpful. I do not have a LTCF at the moment but I plan on getting one.
    Only 5 states have gun registration - PA isn't one of them. Whatever guns you brought with you to PA you don't need to do anything with. Transfers of handguns must be done at a FFL or a sheriff. The transfer is recorded and a background check is performed, there is an exemption for transfers between spouses, parent/child, grandparent/grandchild. Long guns can be transferred privately without any paperwork.

The federal 4473 form that everyone fills out when they a buy a gun from a FFL is not a registration form. It is a record of sale form that only the FFL keeps. In PA though, handguns have another form that gets sent to the State Police. The PSP then records the transfer.

There is no means to find out whether a gun is stolen or not. Don't buy from shady characters. If you had knowledge that the gun was stolen you could get into trouble. But if you didn't have knowledge of the fact, you should be ok.

Ammo follows the federal rule: must be 21 to buy ammo for a handgun, must be 18 to buy ammo for a long gun.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAS&W View Post
    If you are a Legal resident of PA , over 21 , and can pass a Federal "NICS"
    check ( like when you buy a shotgun at a store )you may possess any longgun or handgun you obtained legally. You don't have to do any paperwork.

In order to CARRY a handgun in PA you will need to get a license.

Here is all the Legal Stuff...........

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf

18 is the legal age of possession in PA. You need only be 21 to transfer a handgun from or through a FFL.

In order to carry concealed, or in a vehicle, or openly or concealed in a City of the First Class(Philly), or during an emergency - you need a license. Open carrying on foot outside Philly, and absent any declared emergency, doesn't require a license.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Delaware County)

Seems your questions have been pretty much answered. Welcome to the forum and I suggest you look around at the stickies. You can do a search for any more questions you may have. This forum is a great source of gun information. It is probably THE best place to look for info on laws that pertain to guns in Pa. I say dive in and have fun.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Excellent! Exactly what I was looking for. Turns out I just wasn't looking in the right place. This forum was a great find for a new PA resident. Keep up the good work and thanks for the help.