Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Competitive Shooting in Berks

A while back I was interested in getting into competitive shooting. I took a ride out to The Handgunner and picked up a Smith & Wesson M&P and spoke to Dean about IPSC shooting at Topton. Unfortunately, I was unable to make it to a match and life got busy, wound up getting laid off for a while, and giving competitive shooting a try was put on the back burner.

Now that life has settled down a bit, I'd like to get out and give the sport a try. I've been looking around and it looks like Topton may be the only option for me being in the Reading area (and the club seems to bounce around from Pistil to 3 Gun depending on the month).

Are there any other clubs in the area that have open to the public shoots, that would be new shooter friendly? I have a couple of "gun guy" friends but none of them seem to have an interest in competitive shooting. Is there anyone on the forum that would be willing to show me the ropes?

I'm a member at both MASA and Daniel Boone, if anyone is a member of those clubs and would like to get together for some informal shooting, I'd be up for that as well.

Thanks

Smile Re: Competitive Shooting in Berks

You might wanna check the competitions section of the site. there are a few out west of us ..schaefferstown etc. I too would like to get into IDPA but havent had the cash or BALLS to start.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Competitive Shooting in Berks

I was poking around in the competition area, which lead me to the IDPA Club Listing. The only club that I recognized was Lower Providence in the Oaks area. It isn't exactly close, but I think I'm going to try and take a ride out to watch one of the upcoming matches.

I'll have to check that date out maybe i will balls up and go with a couple leo friends.

Manheim Tactical shoot

http://www.manheimsportsmansassoc.or...ost/index.html

York USPSA

http://www.yorkpistol.blogspot.com/

Lower Providence USPSA

http://www.lowerprovidencerodandgunc.../pistol/uspsa/

and a great 3gun match

http://www.heidelbergsportsmensassoc...ol%20Flyer.htm

There a couple guys from the area that try to shoot at least 2 events a month...
    Tantric Shooting Team

(Berks County)

Thanks for the information. Never having done any sort of action shooting, this is all both confusing and intimidating. While browsing the York USPSA Website, I came across a fantastic video series breaking down what new shooters can expect at the club (http://yorkpistol.blogspot.com/2009/...our-uspsa.html).

I don't know if it was the inviting nature of the videos, but I'm most interested in visiting York. Unfortunately, it is the farthest drive (66 miles at aprox 1hr 15mins).

When I spoke with Dean at The Handgunner, I liked everything he told me about the sport and the club. Being that Topton is the closest, by far, at about 25 minutes away, I'd really like to get to the club and give them a try. Their schedule has some other stuff going on, but I think July is open for an IPSC match. At this point in time my schedule is wide open, so I may try to get down to the club.

Lower Providence is about 45 minutes away but I'm familiar with the area and don't mind the drive (I used to work in Roysersford). I've got a packed schedule this month but I think I can get away on the day of the match to watch.

Manheim is very appealing with the low cost but I'm not sure exactly what the Tactical Shoot is.

On a side note, I see Stoney Creek in your signature line. I'm not far at all from the shop, do they conduct any events in their indoor range that are open to the public? I'm not a member and the last person I spoke to about the store mentioned membership is full at the moment.

Speaking of indoor ranges, does French Creek Outfitters do anything at thier range that I should look into?

Thanks for all the info!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by wwhite72082 View Post
    Thanks for the information. Never having done any sort of action shooting, this is all both confusing and intimidating. While browsing the York USPSA Website, I came across a fantastic video series breaking down what new shooters can expect at the club (http://yorkpistol.blogspot.com/2009/...our-uspsa.html).

I don't know if it was the inviting nature of the videos, but I'm most interested in visiting York. Unfortunately, it is the farthest drive (66 miles at aprox 1hr 15mins).

When I spoke with Dean at The Handgunner, I liked everything he told me about the sport and the club. Being that Topton is the closest, by far, at about 25 minutes away, I'd really like to get to the club and give them a try. Their schedule has some other stuff going on, but I think July is open for an IPSC match. At this point in time my schedule is wide open, so I may try to get down to the club.

Lower Providence is about 45 minutes away but I'm familiar with the area and don't mind the drive (I used to work in Roysersford). I've got a packed schedule this month but I think I can get away on the day of the match to watch.

Manheim is very appealing with the low cost but I'm not sure exactly what the Tactical Shoot is.

On a side note, I see Stoney Creek in your signature line. I'm not far at all from the shop, do they conduct any events in their indoor range that are open to the public? I'm not a member and the last person I spoke to about the store mentioned membership is full at the moment.

Speaking of indoor ranges, does French Creek Outfitters do anything at thier range that I should look into?

Thanks for all the info!
    Last I heard SCO was tossing around the idea of comp shoots, no details were ever made privi to me. My guess is it would start as a members/member guest only thing.

Thanks for the information. Never having done any sort of action shooting, this is all both confusing and intimidating. While browsing the York USPSA Website, I came across a fantastic video series breaking down what new shooters can expect at the club (http://yorkpistol.blogspot.com/2009/...our-uspsa.html

Check out York the actually have fun shoot as well as the USPSA shoots.

Very good match right off the oaks exit.

Tactical shoot is just there name for a action pistol shoot. Conist of 4 stages of fire 2 indoors and 2 outdoors. All that is required is pistol, 2 magazines, mag pouch ,holster and of course eyes an ears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GAjA1gmyOI

Stony Creek is open to new membership but you must have a LTCF and Driver Licenses
    Tantric Shooting Team

Oley Fish and Game near Reading (just north of Daniel Boone) just had a carbine match and I can also say (because I hosted it, and will host more) that two gun (carbine/sidearm) matches, as well as pistol only matches will be in the works too on a monthly or near monthly basis.

The matches will be casual competitions and friendly to all including to newcomers. The next match will also have a designated newcomer group that will take some of the intimidation factor out of the equation for anyone interested.

If no one else offers, I would also be happy to go meet up sometime to show you what to expect at the various shoots or competitions. Maybe even set up a few targets similar to what you would see at different events.
    Last edited by john doe; June 13th, 2011 at 02:50 AM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by john doe View Post
    Oley Fish and Game near Reading (just north of Daniel Boone) just had a carbine match and I can also say (because I hosted it, and will host more) that two gun (carbine/sidearm) matches, as well as pistol only matches will be in the works too on a monthly or near monthly basis.

The matches will be casual competitions and friendly to all including to newcomers. The next match will also have a designated newcomer group that will take some of the intimidation factor out of the equation for anyone interested.

If no one else offers, I would also be happy to go meet up sometime to show you what to expect at the various shoots or competitions. Maybe even set up a few targets similar to what you would see at different events.
    I don't know where Oley Fish and Game is but I would imagine it is only a few minutes away from me (I'm in a development off of Rt. 12, not far from the old Crab Barn). Having a place to go which is that close would be great.

I appreciate the offer to get together, If we can work something out I'd love to do it.

Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast