Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Indiana County)

Default Re: I hate my 870! HELP!

I had the same problem with my Rem 887 Nitro Mag Tactical, turns out that the piece that would hold the shells in the tube was bent up to far and it had trouble loading and especially unloading I could rack it all day and it would never pull the rounds out. Once I bent that down it became my favorite shotgun...

(Beaver County)

I tried rolling the tube and it didn't wobble or anything so it looks straight. I have a thought . . . In Magpul's Art of the Dynamic Shotgun they teach you an ammo transition technique for the 870. You open the action half way with a round chambered, use your thumb to reseat the shell in the tube and then open the action and load a slug. The point? Reseating that shell is usually a lot more difficult than it should be. I have to apply a lot of pressure to the shell to get it to back into the tube so maybe the problem is the opening of the magazine tube? Anyone who has an 870 that works, reach into the bottom of your magazine tube and feel it. Mine has a kind of a lip on both the top and bottom of the tube opening. Should it be that way or is it supposed to be smooth on the bottom? I never checked this on my other 870s when I had them but my Benelli Nova which has never had a single issue loading, feeding or ejecting is smooth on the bottom and it catches the follower with the lip at the top of the tube. Maybe it's just a coincidence that the problem always occurs on the fifth round and it has nothing to do with the magazine tube. Maybe it's happening because the spring starts to stiffen up at that point and the shells don't pass over it as easily. I could be completely wrong but I'm out of ideas so I'm trying anything now. I'm off tomorrow with no plans so I'm about to spend my day smoothing out the opening of the magazine tube . . .

Quote Originally Posted by KDE870 View Post
    Anyone who has an 870 that works, reach into the bottom of your magazine tube and feel it. Mine has a kind of a lip on both the top and bottom of the tube opening. Should it be that way or is it supposed to be smooth on the bottom? I never checked this on my other 870s when I had them but my Benelli Nova which has never had a single issue loading, feeding or ejecting is smooth on the bottom and it catches the follower with the lip at the top of the tube.
    Just checked mine, there is a machined lip around the entire tube entrance that appears to be there to stop the follower when devoid of shells.

(Beaver County)

Default I've done it!

OK, I think the problem is solved. I ran through a few reloading drills this morning (load all six shells and cycle them out seven times over) and everything went well. This is kind of hows it's gone as long as I've had the gun though. I take the extension apart, I take the gun apart, it works for a while and then out of nowhere once I start to trust it again that fifth round will stick while I'm trying to reload. You know what I think it was though? Soccerbum87 had mentioned bending the shell latch and I did notice that it was sticking out too far. I corrected that and now everything runs fine the last few days. Hopefully this time for good because I never tried that before. Considering that I've got about $1300 invested in my 870, I'd really like it to keep working going forward . . . Thanks for the input!

(Pike County)

Glad to hear it seems to have worked out well. But if ya really hate it that much.... ill dispose of that nice looking clunker for ya...

It has a nice balance of mods to it, looks good, you did good..

Now I'm curious if mine has any issue...Bought it and still have not fired it , have it 3 weeks now.

Snert

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12