Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Heritage Revolvers

Are Heritage revolvers any good? They look an awful lot like old Harrington and Richardson designs. Are they indeed based on old H & R designs? I've thought about buying one when I saw them at a gun show and then thought the price was too good to be true.

I have also heard Heritage uses zinc alloy and plastic, (triggers, ejector rods) in place of parts that are steel on H & R revolvers.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Heritage Revolvers

They aren't even close to the old H&R designs. They are patterned after the Colt 1873, but just smaller and modernized.

I've heard good and bad about them. The ones I've molested in gun shops had cylinder gaps that you could fit a credit card in - excessive. But I've heard they go BANG when you pull the trigger.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lancaster County)

I have a Rough Rider 22lr/22mag and besides going bang every time it also puts holes in whatever I am aiming at. It may have been the best gun for its price I have ever bought.

(Montgomery County)

I have had my heritage rough rider .22lr/.22mag for about a year now and have put hundreds of rounds through it. Accurate and goes bang every time. It is not up to the same standards of say the Ruger Bearcat, but for a fraction of the price they are definitely worth it.

(Monroe County)

THe Rough rider kit is very nice, comes with 2 cylinders in a nice cardboard box, mine is very nicely blued and well made made, very well machined and is fitted with nicely made uncheckered walnut grips, the only problem i noticed is that the .22 mag is more accurate in it than the .22 lr, i am not a big fan of SA but i like it, i think i paid $179.00 LNIB at a gun store i frequent .

I wopuld say that they are not bad, at least the rough riders.

(York County)

The Heritage guns come in two versions: zinc alloy frame and steel frame. The steel frame guns cost a bit more. I've noticed that the finish on the alloy frame guns tend to wear and look cheesy in short order.

I had a Heritage with steel frame in .32 mag/.32 long.
    Good points:
    nice trigger and hammer very smooth. It also shot rather well.
    Bad points:
    Cheaply fitted parts, barely finished metal castings and every now and then the d****d thing would lock up when put on safety notch. You'd have to pull the hammer back slightly to get it to move forward to its resting position, and then it would unlock and act normally again (until the next time).

In its own way I liked it. However I sold mine for a Cimmeron Lightning in .38 Special and got a much nicer gun for my Cowboy Action shooting side arm.

(Lackawanna County)

I had one and like a fool traded it away,they are a fun gun to shoot and being that the load/unload time is longer than a pistol or a revolver with a swing out cylinder a box of ammo lasts longer when out shooting.

The other day I was at my toy store and will be buying another HRR in a few weeks and if you go to--gunslinger forums.com--you can find everything you ever wanted to know about them.
    Government 99 and 44/100 % pure bullshit.

(Westmoreland County)

I have the .22LR/.22 mag combo. As someone else posted, it is available in a steel frame version. This is because there are at least 4 or 5 states that prohibit alloy frame guns to be sold there.

It is a really fun plinker, and for the price I paid, about $175 NIB, it has performed perfectly with a couple thousand rounds. Except for a squib round that was the ammo's fault.
    I found it to be a great instructional gun for novice shooters.
    LUKE 11:21 == Proverbs 29:2 = Proverbs 25:28