Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default open carry GETTYSBURG

Family and I are traveling to Gettysburg next week for vacation. Wife and I both hold SC concealed weapons permits. Through research, I understand we can both open carry in Pa. What are the law enforcement views on open carry in Adams county? Are there any open carry friendly restaurants in the Gettysburg area?

(Adams County)

Default Re: open carry GETTYSBURG

Quote Originally Posted by bed92186 View Post
    Family and I are traveling to Gettysburg next week for vacation. Wife and I both hold SC concealed weapons permits. Through research, I understand we can both open carry in Pa. What are the law enforcement views on open carry in Adams county? Are there any open carry friendly restaurants in the Gettysburg area?
    You cannot carry in federal buildings, and signs are posted. You can drive & walk around the battlefield with a firearm, but you can't carry one inside the visitor center or any of the other park museums.

I don't OC, and haven't seen anyone carrying anything except Civil war style rifles...while dressed in uniform. I see a lot of that, actually.

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by camper View Post
    I don't OC, and haven't seen anyone carrying anything except Civil war style rifles...while dressed in uniform. I see a lot of that, actually.
    When they have WWII weekend you will see a LOT of people in WWII uniforms (and period dress for women) open carrying Garands, M1 Carbines, Tommy Guns, 1911s, Lugers, MP40s, Mosin Nagants, etc.
    Most of the activity on those weekends centers on the Eisenhower estate (which is a national historic sight- take the tour of it when you go).
    That is my favorite weekend to go to Gettysburg

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by oblivionboyj View Post
    When they have WWII weekend you will see a LOT of people in WWII uniforms (and period dress for women) open carrying Garands, M1 Carbines, Tommy Guns, 1911s, Lugers, MP40s, Mosin Nagants, etc.
    Most of the activity on those weekends centers on the Eisenhower estate (which is a national historic sight- take the tour of it when you go).
    That is my favorite weekend to go to Gettysburg
    It's getting warmer, I'm seeing these people everywhere. Especially on weekends. I hear they do it year round though. I missed WW2 weekend this year as we were out of town. I've been to Eisenhower and I love it. Next year we're not missing WW2 weekend though, I'm more interested in that than the civil war stuff.

There's always people walking around town in full period garb. I don't know how they do it in 90 degree weather. Honestly, I never got the 'dressing up' thing...even at the Renaissance fair.

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by camper View Post
    It's getting warmer, I'm seeing these people everywhere. Especially on weekends. I hear they do it year round though. I missed WW2 weekend this year as we were out of town. I've been to Eisenhower and I love it. Next year we're not missing WW2 weekend though, I'm more interested in that than the civil war stuff.

There's always people walking around town in full period garb. I don't know how they do it in 90 degree weather. Honestly, I never got the 'dressing up' thing...even at the Renaissance fair.

camper
    Here is a link to the actual WWII weekend this year...
    http://www.gettysburg.travel/visitor...p?event_id=629
    I am sure we will be there again this year.
    We had SO much fun last year.
    Hopefully we will just rent a campsite for the weekend and stay in our pop up camper.

I love the eisenhower house.
    My wife and I both wish we could live there.
    It is so 50's cool!
    It also surprised us how modest it really is for a presidents house.
    Not really all that showy for the stature of its occupents.
    I guess it is like anyones house, it refelects the ownwers charater

I also love the part of the tour where they talk about the Eisenhowers and their TV.
    Man were they adicted to that thing. LOL

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by bed92186 View Post

I can't remember the last time I heard about a negative encounter in the area. I've been OCing all around Adams/York/Lancaster counties for 2 1/2 years without a single negative encounter with anyone.

Also, about a dozen of us pulled an OC trip to the Gettysburg Battlefields back when it became legal, walked all over outside, all day, no problems.

I'm sure you'll be fine. Seriously. Enjoy your stay.

Coincidentally, my son is bringing his family up from Beaufort next weekend for Father's Day. I hope you have a safe trip and enjoy your stay in PA. It's really nice here this time of year, and I think you'll find the nights to be rather cool.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Adams County)

As far as restaurants, I like Appallachian Brewing Company. I've OCed there many times and nothing was ever said. It's one of the reasons I go there so often, that and the beer.
    I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy. Hippie and 3%er.