Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default What to get next? FNH? 1911? etc.

My primary obsession as of late is with the FNH FNP 45 Tactical. I've had my hands on the normal FNP 45 and I liked it. I'm not flat out floored in love with the safety position, but outside of that I do like the pistol.

Primary reasoning for want? It's a packed gun.
    Milled slide for a micro RDS
    Suppressor height night sights
    Threaded barrel
    rail
    15rds of .45acp in a non-huge grip
    It's accuracy

Everything I buy serves some kind of role, or fits into some utilitarian type of need. I have rifles and carry pistols, Glocks, AR's, AK's, HD shotgun... my bases are pretty covered. This fits into the - can't bring a rifle, but I want more gun than a typical carry pistol type of thing.

I don't much get into the tacticool crap on firearms but I thought it might be neat to put a RDS on a pistol, as much as I like them on rifles. Maybe a light? IDK it's something to fool around with. If I don't like it like that, I can always put it back to "normal" and just have a very high cap .45.

Option #2
    Is I buy the "normal" FNP 45 AND a cheaper 1911 and tweak it over time.
    So let's diverge into some 1911 conversation for a moment.

Things I've considered so far.
    Cheap 1911.
    ATI - FX45 - It's their GI model, the slightly smaller one.
    Reviews I've read thus far seem ok. I know it's not a great gun.
    RIA - I'm sure I can get my hands on one of those for $500<. If not, then...
    Springfield - I liked their operator I saw with the contiguous rail. Well, it certainly caught my eye but any of their GI or equiv models would probably suffice without getting into anything crazy.
    I've heard Taurus makes a decent 1911. Although I pretty much refuse to buy a Taurus anything after the last attempt at owning anything they make. If you guys think I an get a better gun from them for the money vs some of the other options, I'll hear you out.
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; June 16th, 2011 at 01:53 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: What to get next? FNH? 1911? etc.

Can a guy get some input on some 1911's?

Jeez, half you guys would crawl over your dying mother to your 1911 to wipe a spec of dirt from it before you dialed 911 for her.

The more I kick this around and read about the FNP... well, the more I can't make up my fucking mind!

The more I look at 1911's because I can't make up my mind... the more I want one! But, I still refuse to drop a grand on one. The ONLY reason I even considered the $1000 FNP 45 Tac is because it comes with everything but the kitchen sink. A bunch of mags, big capacity, RDS mount, threaded barrel, rail... that motivated me. Now that I'm sitting on the coin - the more I think about it, the more reluctant I am to uh, pull the trigger.

Everything I read on the RIA 1911's is good. I'm considering their tactical.
    I hate two tone guns, and bright finishes but their two tone is... making me want it.

This is where I know I have officially thought about this FAR too much and have indeed lost my mind. Come on guys... some input please?

(Montgomery County)

You can't go wrong with a RIA 1911. I have the two-tone tactical, and love it. I also had an FNP-45. Great gun in every way, but it saw more safe time than anything else. The person I sold it to, has since traded it for the FNP-45 Tactical, and loves it. I fired it, and it's, as expected, the FNP-45, but with the extras. Personally, I don't see the FNP-45 Tactical being worth nearly twice the price of the FNP-45 (I paid $499 for mine new, and I believe the Tactical is around $949).

If it were me, I'd buy the RIA, and put the FNP off for the moment.

Or:

Look for both a RIA two-tone tactical, and an FNP-45 used, and come in at a combined price lower than a new FNP-45 tactical.

I'd pretty much suggest any combination other than one that includes a new FNP-45 Tactical, simply because again, IMO, I just don't see the value there.

Not sure if that's any help at all, but, at least it'll give you more to kick around. :-)
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Cumberland County)

Lol, didn't see.this thread the first time.

I've had the opportunity to shoot a regular FNP 45 another member has. It was friggin sweet. All that ammo, and really easy to point and control. Recoil was super light too. Although the other options on the tactical are slick, what are you really going to use? Just the ability to mount a RDS? Doesn't seem worth the extra cash to me.
    The non tactical model can be had in FDE, fwiw.

Either way, good luck finding off the shelf holsters.

I say get 2 guns. More is better.

I guess my thing about having a RDS on a pistol is what are you using it for? Is it a dedicated game gun? Carry gun? Nightstand gun? This leads to a whole other discussion about the merits of battery powered optics on a combat pistol, but we won't go there now.
    What I'm trying to say is, if you really want a RDS on a pistol wouldn't you rather have it on a gun that has a purpose? This one doesn't really seem to, and I'm not saying that it needs to.
    I am all for a red dot on a pistol. Hell, if I had unlimited funds I'd have the slide on my K40 Covert milled and put a Trijicon RMR on it.
    Last edited by rwb1500; June 16th, 2011 at 02:55 AM.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Allegheny County)

I really appreciate your opinion considering you have both guns I was looking at. Doesn't get much better than that.

I really wanted to play around with a RDS on the tactical. I even considered getting the competition at a savings of $100 or two because it has the same milled slide without the threaded barrel I'll likely never use - and from what I've read is more of a PITA with the ever loosening thread protector. But you can't get it in FDE, and that was a big draw for me. I also don't see the point in buying the USG and wishing I bought the tactical. For $400 more I could have just got what I wanted... and been done with it.

Maybe I will just buy the 1911 to fill my immediate craving for something .45. And ponder the FN for a while longer.

I found the RIA Tactical for $4XX. Looks like a nice gun. For roughly $100 more I found this.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/47918

Now I have had a BAAAAAAD experience with Taurus... but I've heard their 1911's aren't bad. And I know the feature list accompanying the pistol in the ad may be taking some liberties... but it's still... well... comprehensive...

Thoughts?

And I'll expand on the FNP 45. It's just to expand the pistols currently here. Carry guns are covered, I got rifles down, shotgun... I don't *need* anything at this point. I wouldn't be building 7.62x25mm AR pistols if I hadn't covered my bases already. But even that filled my faux sub gun slot pretty well in the end anyway. Better than any mac, uzi, or other neutered sub gun could anyway. The FNP 45 Tactical is the - can't bring a rifle, but want to bring as much gun as you can - gun. And I don't think anything beats 15+1 of .45acp for that job. The ability to drop an RMR on it just closes that gap even further. And a light or laser. AND comes with night sights that co-witness with said RDS. I know it's big. But I have handled the USG already and it's not that big considering how much "gun" it is. "carry" carry it? Hell no. SHTF OWB combat holster? Yes. Range shooting? Yes. Ultimate night stand gun? It just might be...

If you could buy bare slides from FNH - say for the tactical or even the comp... I would just buy the USG and the 1911 right now and call it good. And when I came into more funds down the line I would buy the slide from them, drop on a RDS and be perfectly happy.
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; June 16th, 2011 at 03:22 AM.

(Elk County)

If you have the $$$ and are reluctant to spend it on the FNH, then your subconscious is screaming at you. The FNH is a lot of gun for the $$$, but it's a lot of $$$. $1000 essentially for an RDS? I'd be squirming on my hemorrhoids too.

The pistol that fits the FNH bill to an extent in my battery is the 4" XD-45ACP "Service" model with the conventional 1911-type ambi safety. Not exactly apples and apples, but it was half the cost of an FNH, it's light on the hip, accurate, and it offers 13+1 capacity and a rail. I do NOT abide optics on pistols, so the XD worked for me.

I'm also a big 1911 fan, since 1965. Maintained hundreds of them while a Marine armorer in the 70s and early 80s. I have Colts, a couple Norincos, one Springer MC, and two RIAs at the moment. I did own three Springer "Milspec" models and one "Loaded" SS model and all of them needed trigger work and extractor tuning. That is not an indictment of Springfield products, it is just my own experience.

The RIA is a tremendous value in a 1911. My first one is a 5" 1911A1 clone in 45ACP, bought used for $290 OTD. The second one is a twin, except in 9mm and I bought it new early into 2011. Both have been 100% solid, reliable performers and the amazing thing is that both guns were spot-on regulated at 25 yds with "ball" ammo in their respective chamberings. Time and again I've busted claybirds sitting on edge on the 25 yd berm, or chased cubes of oak 4x4 around the range betw. 20 and 40 yds with both the 45 and the 9mm RIAs.

The RIAs are also very well fitted, or "tight." I think this contributes to the accuracy, in conjunction with the excellent trigger pulls. The extractor in the 45 needed a slight tweak to stop empties from hitting the top of my head, but that was an easy, obvious fix.

The 1911 isn't all things to everyone, but it's sorta like the AR - it's morphed from a handgun to a "platform," and after a person acquires their first 1911 and gains experience, very often it takes them further into 1911 Land, opening new horizons as it were. And what better way to celebrate 100 years of J M Browning genius in handgun design than with the purchase of a 1911.

Taurus is here and there for consistency of manufacture. I had the same experience with Springfield Armory to an extent. No show-stoppers, but the Springers were disappointing -- untuned extractors and creepy trigger pulls all over the map. One Milspec's trigger gauged over 9 lbs on my Lyman electronic TP scale. That's not acceptable. Another had a badly mis-shapen "triple finger" sear spring. That's not poor quality control, it's poor manufacturing assembly process control. The Springfields worked, and were reliable, but needed more "touching up" than I thought reasonable.

IIWM, I'd go the "two guns for the money" route. And the first gun purchased would be a 1911, because you don't already own one. And I'd make it a RIA.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

I've wanted a 1911 for years & finally bit the bullet & bought a SA Range Officer a couple months ago. It's a great gun IMO. It has the natural pointability of all 1911's & with only about 1000 rounds thru it, shooting at paper & steel, I shoot it more accurately than any of my Sigs or Glocks. A 1911 is a useful, reliable & fun addition to any gun collection.

As much as I love my Springer, I'm not one of those who believes that advancements in handgun technology ended 100 years ago. Even though the 1911 has been readopted by some elite combat units, (MARSOC, to name one), IF I ever had to make a choice of which gun to use as a backup to my long gun in a SHTF or tactical situation, the Glock 21 would be strapped to my leg when I go out the door.

If you want a 1911, you may as well go out & buy one now, because that obsession is not going to go away until you do. My vote goes to Springfield Armory.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    I really appreciate your opinion considering you have both guns I was looking at. Doesn't get much better than that.

I really wanted to play around with a RDS on the tactical. I even considered getting the competition at a savings of $100 or two because it has the same milled slide without the threaded barrel I'll likely never use - and from what I've read is more of a PITA with the ever loosening thread protector. But you can't get it in FDE, and that was a big draw for me. I also don't see the point in buying the USG and wishing I bought the tactical. For $400 more I could have just got what I wanted... and been done with it.

Maybe I will just buy the 1911 to fill my immediate craving for something .45. And ponder the FN for a while longer.

I found the RIA Tactical for $4XX. Looks like a nice gun. For roughly $100 more I found this.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/47918

Now I have had a BAAAAAAD experience with Taurus... but I've heard their 1911's aren't bad. And I know the feature list accompanying the pistol in the ad may be taking some liberties... but it's still... well... comprehensive...

Thoughts?

And I'll expand on the FNP 45. It's just to expand the pistols currently here. Carry guns are covered, I got rifles down, shotgun... I don't *need* anything at this point. I wouldn't be building 7.62x25mm AR pistols if I hadn't covered my bases already. But even that filled my faux sub gun slot pretty well in the end anyway. Better than any mac, uzi, or other neutered sub gun could anyway. The FNP 45 Tactical is the - can't bring a rifle, but want to bring as much gun as you can - gun. And I don't think anything beats 15+1 of .45acp for that job. The ability to drop an RMR on it just closes that gap even further. And a light or laser. AND comes with night sights that co-witness with said RDS. I know it's big. But I have handled the USG already and it's not that big considering how much "gun" it is. "carry" carry it? Hell no. SHTF OWB combat holster? Yes. Range shooting? Yes. Ultimate night stand gun? It just might be...

If you could buy bare slides from FNH - say for the tactical or even the comp... I would just buy the USG and the 1911 right now and call it good. And when I came into more funds down the line I would buy the slide from them, drop on a RDS and be perfectly happy.
    Buy the FN.

(Montgomery County)

I bought a Taurus PT940 (used) about a month ago, and guess what? It's a great gun. But, I was willing to roll the dice on it because it was used, in nice shape, and inexpensive ($259). Despite my favorable outcome, and the good stories I hear from other folks (particularly associated with the PT1911), I'd wouldn't buy one unless I could find it used/cheap. There are just too many other 1911s out there, that have a great reputation, for near the same amount of money.

Based on my experience, I wouldn't hesistate to go with a RIA, or a Springfield Armory 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    That sounds like a plan.
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    I've wanted a 1911 for years & finally bit the bullet & bought a SA Range Officer a couple months ago.

As much as I love my Springer, I'm not one of those who believes that advancements in handgun technology ended 100 years ago. Even though the 1911 has been readopted by some elite combat units, (MARSOC, to name one), IF I ever had to make a choice of which gun to use as a backup to my long gun in a SHTF or tactical situation, the Glock 21 would be strapped to my leg when I go out the door.

If you want a 1911, you may as well go out & buy one now, because that obsession is not going to go away until you do. My vote goes to Springfield Armory.
    This is in line with how I'm looking at the 1911. I like it, I want one. But the FN is everything 100 years have improved on the concept of a .45 combat gun. It's why if I do squeeze one in, it's not going to be a Kimber, or a $700+ $ 1911. It doesn't serve a practical place for me due to it's size and weight. At 32oz, the FN is akin to an aluminum framed 1911, holds more ammo, etc etc. All that aside, I still want a 1911. The craving isn't going away.

Noah I was really digging the Taurus despite it being a little more. I liked the weight savings, and considered probably dumping their hammer and safety. (factored it in) Same thing in my brain with the fn. I don't need or want ambi shit. I'm not left handed. Chances are those levers would get reduced via dremel anyway.

You would take the RIA tactical over it in your opinion?

Again, thank you guys for your valued opinions.

My experience with Taurus was bad. New gun, broke in my hand less than 100rds later. Jammed incessantly up to the point it quit. And was horribly innaccurate. (TCP) I said never again. But, a lot of people say the 1911s aren't bad. Trying to keep an open mind. Hard though.
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; June 16th, 2011 at 12:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast