Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Threaded View

(Allegheny County)

Default What to get next? FNH? 1911? etc.

My primary obsession as of late is with the FNH FNP 45 Tactical. I've had my hands on the normal FNP 45 and I liked it. I'm not flat out floored in love with the safety position, but outside of that I do like the pistol.

Primary reasoning for want? It's a packed gun.
    Milled slide for a micro RDS
    Suppressor height night sights
    Threaded barrel
    rail
    15rds of .45acp in a non-huge grip
    It's accuracy

Everything I buy serves some kind of role, or fits into some utilitarian type of need. I have rifles and carry pistols, Glocks, AR's, AK's, HD shotgun... my bases are pretty covered. This fits into the - can't bring a rifle, but I want more gun than a typical carry pistol type of thing.

I don't much get into the tacticool crap on firearms but I thought it might be neat to put a RDS on a pistol, as much as I like them on rifles. Maybe a light? IDK it's something to fool around with. If I don't like it like that, I can always put it back to "normal" and just have a very high cap .45.

Option #2
    Is I buy the "normal" FNP 45 AND a cheaper 1911 and tweak it over time.
    So let's diverge into some 1911 conversation for a moment.

Things I've considered so far.
    Cheap 1911.
    ATI - FX45 - It's their GI model, the slightly smaller one.
    Reviews I've read thus far seem ok. I know it's not a great gun.
    RIA - I'm sure I can get my hands on one of those for $500<. If not, then...
    Springfield - I liked their operator I saw with the contiguous rail. Well, it certainly caught my eye but any of their GI or equiv models would probably suffice without getting into anything crazy.
    I've heard Taurus makes a decent 1911. Although I pretty much refuse to buy a Taurus anything after the last attempt at owning anything they make. If you guys think I an get a better gun from them for the money vs some of the other options, I'll hear you out.
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; June 16th, 2011 at 01:53 AM.