Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Elk County)

Default Re: What to get next? FNH? 1911? etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    . . . I was really digging the Taurus despite it being a little more. I liked the weight savings, and considered probably dumping their hammer and safety. (factored it in) Same thing in my brain with the fn. I don't need or want ambi shit. I'm not left handed. Chances are those levers would get reduced via dremel anyway.

You would take the RIA tactical over (the Taurus) in your opinion?

My experience with Taurus was bad. New gun, broke in my hand less than 100rds later. Jammed incessantly up to the point it quit. And was horribly innaccurate. (TCP) I said never again. But, a lot of people say the 1911s aren't bad. Trying to keep an open mind. Hard though.
    I would. I've owned Taurus 92s that were very good. I had a PT945 that was a flaming POS. I had a Taurus Thunderbolt rifle that was a POS. I had a Taurus Gaucho Single Action that was a POS. I am NOT saying ALL Taurus products are bad. I am saying that Taurus' process control is inconsistent, and thus so is the product. If I want to take a chance, I'll buy a lottery ticket.

Therefore, yes, I would absolutely choose the RIA Tactical over the comparable Taurus version, because I personally own two RIAs and have handled and fired those belonging to others and have had the same positive experience with them. Lots of PAFOA members echo this about the RIA. If you go to M1911.org, there's an RIA subforum and you can see that the importer has stood behind the few guns with which owners have had problems, and have taken care of those problems straightaway. The overwhelming "corporate" experience of RIA owners has been consistent, and consistently positive.

JMO,

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Allegheny County)

Ok. Since you have two RIAs and you happen to have been an armorer for decades... How is part interchange on the RIAs? Like if I ever wanted to fool with it? (I do certainly like to tinker)

Anyone have any experience with the ATI 1911's?
    The little Titan caught my eye too. Or is maybe the smaller 1911's of lesser brands maybe not such a good idea considering they are more naturally finicky, and it would be a "first" 1911?

I'm trying to figure out what is different about it and the RIA (small one) exactly.

The lady of the house about stomped her feet and threw a tantrum when I didn't drop the coin on the Kimber Ultra II at the fun shop. I just wasn't coughing up $850 on that thing on a whim. However... it would be a way to get a 1911, and appease the woman if I can turn say a titan or mini RIA into that Ultra II for her over time.
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; June 16th, 2011 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    It doesn't serve a practical place for me due to it's size and weight. At 32oz, the FN is akin to an aluminum framed 1911, holds more ammo, etc etc.....big snip.......... All that aside, I still want a 1911. The craving isn't going away.
    Don't let the size & weight of the 1911 fool you. They are remarkably easy to carry or conceal. I carry mine frequently in a plain old Comp-Tac, with a good belt & I hardly notice the weight. A loose black t-shirt covers it all. They're slim, so they ride closer to the body, making them seem lighter than they actually are.

Trust me. WHEN you get one, you're gonna' wanna' carry it.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Lawrence County)

The Taurus 1911's are fine. Other models....not always so much.

Regardless, if you get a 1911 and it has any sort of trouble, bring it to me and I'll make it run. Ultra or not.

Lycanyoucannowsleepatnightthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(York County)

I vote FNP45 Tactical. It's a modern day HK Mark 23 pretty much. Of course making full use of it's accessories by adding a red dot sight and a suppressor would be costly. I've always thought it would be awkward to have those features and not use them, and if you aren't, then I'd say get a nice mid range 1911 like a used TRP or something.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    Don't let the size & weight of the 1911 fool you. They are remarkably easy to carry or conceal. I carry mine frequently in a plain old Comp-Tac, with a good belt & I hardly notice the weight. A loose black t-shirt covers it all. They're slim, so they ride closer to the body, making them seem lighter than they actually are.

Trust me. WHEN you get one, you're gonna' wanna' carry it.
    I'm not built to carry a steel 1911. I have enough trouble with a G26, and usually just pocket carry the LCP. This is not for carry, nor am I kidding myself. The 1911 thing is purely because I really do like them, and it's more of a 'want' than a practical thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    The Taurus 1911's are fine. Other models....not always so much.

Regardless, if you get a 1911 and it has any sort of trouble, bring it to me and I'll make it run. Ultra or not.

Lycanyoucannowsleepatnightthrope
    As always, you sir, are one of the shining reasons PAFOA rocks. I do appreciate your willingness to help.

Quote Originally Posted by 24/7dude View Post
    I vote FNP45 Tactical. It's a modern day HK Mark 23 pretty much. Of course making full use of it's accessories by adding a red dot sight and a suppressor would be costly. I've always thought it would be awkward to have those features and not use them, and if you aren't, then I'd say get a nice mid range 1911 like a used TRP or something.
    Yup. Not worried about the suppressor so much as the red dot. That's the hardest part of buying the "normal" FNP-45 for me. Giving up that option.

I went to the fun store today and poked around every option being discussed. They had everything there. (No FNP tactical, but 2 FNP 45's, one new, one used.) They were also slow, and I got the chance to go through a dozen or so 1911's. The Taurus's, the RIA's, a sig, ATI's titan, and the stand out, the Remington R1. The Sig was a 4" alloy and SS gun I think because it felt a lb lighter than the steel guns. At $950 it was out of my price range, but - it was so nice in the hand! The Remington R1 was the OD model, and I have to say blew me away. I like the normal safety. Not like the standard grip safety, or the grips... they were so thick it felt like a double stack. The trigger was downright awesome however. At $700, it was a bit spendy for my budget 1911 concept, but - I think it's the one I'd pick of all of them. The Taurus triggers are OK at best. The RIA's were slightly better, but the ambi safety on the tactical RIA's fucking suck. The fit and finish on the Taurus's were better than the RIA's too. And I like the grooved front and rear strap on the PT1911's. The ATI titan had a great trigger, fit and finish were blingy SS, and not for me. But they make a blued model and I like this little guy. The overall feel of the gun was good.

After tire kicking whatever else they wanted to show me I moved back on task and grabbed the new FNP 45. Yup. Big fan of this gun. It's a little big, little blocky, but I really like it. Trigger was in line with the "better" not best 1911's there, and offers a lot of versatility for the dollar. Then they remembered they had a used one. A hundred or so rounds makes a difference. The fit of the slide was just as tight as the new one, but smoother when racked. The trigger, smoother yet, and felt just a little lighter than the new gun. It was still NIB looking so it must have only been 100 or so rounds through it. And that was kinda that for me.

I'm buying the FNP-45. Probably the tactical. (If I could just get that damned milled slide for a normal USG!) I have a PSL in the classifieds. If it sells - I'll probably pick up the R1, and the titan too.

I guess when in doubt... buy them all?

(Lawrence County)

Just know that most 1911's are a $10 spring change away from a 3lb trigger....as long as the trigger group isn't "creepy".

You can have a 2lb trigger for about $150.

Lycanaddnewthumbsafetyatsametimethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Allegheny County)

Good to know. There's a lot I don't know about 1911's so every bit of info I can squeeze out of you guys helps.

(Fayette County)

Go with the FN.

Dont get me wrong I do like 1911's. But for a carry weapon the FN just has more to offer IMHO.

Plus you get a magazine capacity of 14 rounds and its still in .45 caliber.

I haven't shot the FN 45 yet, but at the NRA convention I did handle one and dried fired it numerous times.

I gotta say, i fell in love with that weapon. The trigger is absolutely beautiful on it.

Id like to get one after my next pistol purchase.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Allegheny County)

Ok. So...

I found the tactical in black for $950. The fde... Uh... Yeah. No luck finding one of those for $950. Anyone have a lead on one <$1000? Prefer not in PA. Tax is a bitch on a $1k gun. Much rather pay shipping and a $25 transfer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12