Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Find/Flavor of the Week: Beretta 92FS P/S w/Trijicon

Of all the guns that have passed through my hands, somehow, I missed getting a Beretta 92FS. It just doesn't seem right not to own one, but I've pretty much given up buying guns new. Found this one used ($369), which (determined by a lookup on Beretta Support) is a:

Model: J92F631 9MM 3-15 RDS TRITIUM P/S Manufacture Year: 2000

Very pleased with it. It appears to have been very well cared for, and came with a total of 4 magazines (3 Beretta, 1 after-market). There's just a bit of "draw wear" around the based of the grip (near the mag well - both sides), but otherwise, not bad for an 11 year old gun.

"I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Warren County)

Thumbs up Re: Find/Flavor of the Week: Beretta 92FS P/S w/Trijicon

Nice pick up, a Beretta like this is on my short list. Just moved to the #1 slot as I just picked up a Glock 17. Good luck with it!
    Tim , USAF Ret.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Find/Flavor of the Week: Beretta 92FS P/S w/Trijicon

Quote Originally Posted by chez323 View Post
    Nice pick up, a Beretta like this is on my short list. Just moved to the #1 slot as I just picked up a Glock 17. Good luck with it!
    Thanks. I really like the G17, and I'm sure I'll eventually pick one up to replace the one I once had. Enjoy it! That's the problem with the "short list". It's short, but yet somehow, it never ends.
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Warren County)

Thumbs up Re: Find/Flavor of the Week: Beretta 92FS P/S w/Trijicon

my list will only end with my passing. LOL
    Tim , USAF Ret.

(Elk County)

Marks:

Congratulations on a nice find.

If that gun's 10-11 years old, then somebody replaced the sights last year -- the Trijicons are dated "10" for 2010. That usually doesn't happen on police trades.

I'm kinda thinking the gun's only a year+ old, a 2010 model.

It will likely have the plastic trigger and plastic guide rod, but not to worry those parts have proven to be reliable.

Best,

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Marks:

Congratulations on a nice find.

If that gun's 10-11 years old, then somebody replaced the sights last year -- the Trijicons are dated "10" for 2010. That usually doesn't happen on police trades.

I'm kinda thinking the gun's only a year+ old, a 2010 model.

It will likely have the plastic trigger and plastic guide rod, but not to worry those parts have proven to be reliable.

Best,

Noah
    Thanks Noah. I can't find the serial in any Beretta date range category, other than the 2000-2005 lookup (screen cap below, in which actual number has been re-touched), so either their lookup is wrong, which could be, or in fact, someone did replace the sights (they are nice and bright).

Also, the gun does have a metal guide rod and trigger, though I believe the Police Special model uses metal for those parts even in more modern years. Not sure though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Elk County)

I am probably wrong to make the claim on the plastic parts in your gun, because the particular Police Special run from which you gun came could have been ordered with the metal bits.

However, I don't think Beretta was making the 92FS with the tapered dust cover in 2000. Now I may be wrong about that, too, but it's only been the last five or six years that I've seen tapered dust covers like that on yours on new 92FS pistols. But that might be that I started paying attention at that time.

The simplest explanation is most often the correct one -- the Trijicon markings are from 2010, and I'm betting the pistol is, too. I can foresee a 1.5 year old gun being part of a department upgrade, particularly if that weapon was the final year of a multi-year contract, and the weapon was issued maybe 12-18 months before the department traded up again because they had "use it or lose it" money for toys in the budget.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Montgomery County)

<snip>

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    The simplest explanation is most often the correct one -- the Trijicon markings are from 2010, and I'm betting the pistol is, too. I can foresee a 1.5 year old gun being part of a department upgrade, particularly if that weapon was the final year of a multi-year contract, and the weapon was issued maybe 12-18 months before the department traded up again because they had "use it or lose it" money for toys in the budget.

Noah
    I'm sure you're correct. Everything you stated makes sense, and those sight markings aren't likely to be wrong, or to have been changed. So, yes again, thanks! It was a gun in impressive condition when I thought it was 11 years old, but I'm just as happy to know it's much newer.

When ever you can pick up a nice 92sf in that shape for that kind of money you have made a good deal. I have 6 total and still looking for a deal like that in SS and maybe shorter barrel but I'd take SS full size if the price was right.
    A good 92sf is not hard to find if I find one in SS its mines. Great find.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    When ever you can pick up a nice 92sf in that shape for that kind of money you have made a good deal. I have 6 total and still looking for a deal like that in SS and maybe shorter barrel but I'd take SS full size if the price was right.
    A good 92sf is not hard to find if I find one in SS its mines. Great find.
    Thanks very much. I too now want to find one is SS, though of course, the first one up is yours. It's a sweet shooting gun, and well, everything I've heard them to be. I'm still not sure why I never picked one up much sooner. Kinda like the HKs in that sense. That's the only other prominent brand I've never owned. I got some buying to do!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast