Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Beaver County)

Default Calling old 1911 experts... pistol ID

Any of you gurus able to help me out with this gun? This came back from the UK after the war with my uncle and has been protecting the family since then. I got the best pics I could manage of the important parts I hope.

Any info appreciated.

http://users.zoominternet.net/~pytho...911_marks1.jpg
    http://users.zoominternet.net/~pytho...911_marks2.jpg
    http://users.zoominternet.net/~pytho...911_marks3.jpg
    http://users.zoominternet.net/~pytho...911_marks4.jpg

(Fayette County)

Default Re: Calling old 1911 experts... pistol ID

Didnt Weatherby make 1911's during WWII?
    Im thinking thats what the WB stands for, but I am not a 1911 expert by any means.

ETA: And I think they gave many to the Canadian army which would explain the crown stamp.
    Last edited by Ricochet; June 8th, 2011 at 09:46 PM.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Allegheny County)

WB is Waldemar S. Broberg who was the ordnance inspector at the time (1942). I'd say that's a 1942 lend lease Colt. Don't have my books in front of me but I think the "not english make" stamp was put on when it was released for export out of the country after the war. Nice piece.

(Westmoreland County)

Your pistol is a US 1911A1 lend-lease. I'm not sure who made it as you didn't do pictures of the slide. The WB is the inspection mark of Col. Waldmar Brodberg, the US inspector at that time. The little crowns are the original british military proofs. The crossed lances are a later british proof. The "Not English Make" marking was applied to many arms when they were sold out of UK government service. I might have missed something in your pictures. If you want do some of the slide. The manufactuer should be on there. Also if I had the first 5 digits of the SN I could tell you the year it was made. I hope this helps some.

(Beaver County)

Gotta love people knowin' stuff. That's why this board is great. As for the slide, I left that one out because it is the typical Colt markings. I'll add that one when I get home tonight. Pretty sure the SN was 6 digits and started with 76... again will have to check tonight.

Not sure how many of the parts are original... the barrel bushing looks like it is blued but I didn't take it off to be sure. And the barrel might be a replacement, but now that I typed that I recall having a beat up barrel and bushing in my bag_of_tricks for the last 20 years or so. Betting them's the real deal parts.

Curious what this gun would be worth. Thanks for the help so far, I'll throw up some more pics tonight.

Looks like that gun is probably a 1911A1 from 1942: [1942 756734-793657 Colt 36924] The trigger is definitely the 1911A1 from the pics on that Colt site.

** Well dur, the damn slide is STAMPED 1911A1. Tard moment.
    Last edited by Python73; June 9th, 2011 at 07:02 AM. Reason: digging on Colt site / second edit for retardation

(Allegheny County)

Take the firing pin retainer plate off on the slide and there should be a serial number stamped there too. If that serial matches the frame, the gun is worth more. Then take off a grip and note what the backs look like; early Colts will have hollow grips with no reinforcing ribs. Pictures of all the components and the markings - including on the barrel lugs - will help verify if they're original.

A mint 1942 Colt can be worth $2,000-2,200 or more with matching numbers and all correct pats. Lend lease guns are typically worth less to purists, plus the finish on yours seems to be quite worn. And if parts have been changed that dings it a bit more.

Here's a great site about 1911A1s:

http://www.coolgunsite.com/

If you go to the "1911 Gallery" and scroll down to 1944 you'll see a lend lease gun; there's good information if you click that picture.

(Beaver County)

Here's the Colt info on the slide. Nothing you wouldn't expect to see.

http://users.zoominternet.net/~pytho...1911_slide.jpg

The SN is in that range I posted. Not sure how to remove the firing pin block, might effort that later this weekend.
    Last edited by Python73; June 9th, 2011 at 05:01 PM. Reason: bad link

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Python73 View Post
    The SN is in that range I posted. Not sure how to remove the firing pin block, might effort that later this weekend.
    Looks like the finish is all but gone. Still, it's a nice heirloom to have.

With the tip of a pen push and hold in the firing pin and then the plate will slide right off. The plate sits in grooves and it only comes out one way. The firing pin is really the only thing keeping it in place with the pressure of the firing pin spring pushing the plate against the grooves.

Quote Originally Posted by Python73 View Post
    Here's the Colt info on the slide. Nothing you wouldn't expect to see.
    http://users.zoominternet.net/~pytho...1911_slide.jpg

A 1911A1 produced during WWII is very collectible nowadays.

If it is all original GI parts, (no major postwar commercial parts ) in good
    shooting condition and does not have significant dings its value starts at
    close to $1000

It would be worth spending money on getting any NON USGI parts replaced with originals.