Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Erie County)

Default Lithium Batteries Banned From Checked Bags

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=205206086

The international rule is intended to lessen the risk of lithium battery fires on airplanes.

Starting Jan. 1, airline passengers will no longer be allowed to pack loose lithium batteries in checked luggage, the U.S. Transportation Department's Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration warned late last week.

Instead, passengers will be required to take loose batteries with them in carry-on baggage, packed in plastic bags. The new regulation, which will go into effect in order to lessen the risk of lithium battery fires, won't apply to lithium batteries that are already installed in electronic devices, such as laptops, cell phones, and cameras. Those can be checked in.

Additionally, only two spare rechargeable lithium batteries will be allowed on airplanes per passenger in carry-on bags.

The international rule will become U.S. law on Tuesday.

"Doing something as simple as keeping a spare battery in its original retail packaging or a plastic zip-lock bag will prevent unintentional short-circuiting and fires," said Krista Edwards, deputy administrator of the PHMSA, in a statement.

The administration is treating lithium batteries as hazardous materials since they're known for overheating and catching fire in some conditions. Tests conducted by the Federal Aviation Administration show that aircraft cargo fire suppression systems on airplanes are incapable of containing fires caused by nonrechargeable lithium batteries packaged in bulk quantities.

A small fire source is enough to ignite a lithium battery. The outer plastic coating can melt easily and fuse neighboring batteries together to increase the intensity of the fire, according to a June 2004 report published by the Office of Aviation Research.

In a situation where a lithium battery ignites in carry-on baggage, flight crews can better monitor the fire since they have access to fire extinguishers.

There have been several instances in the past year that have raised red flags about lithium batteries.

In October, a resident of Douglasville, Ga., claimed that his Apple iPod nano caught fire in his pocket. The iPod nano uses a lithium ion battery, which packs higher power density than a nickel-based battery.

Toshiba in June reported that a Sony lithium battery was responsible for a notebook computer bursting into flames. Since August 2006, Apple, Dell (Dell), Lenovo, and Toshiba have recalled lithium batteries used in notebook computers manufactured by Sony.
    It looks like this only applies to rechargeable. I sure hope so, if not this could be a pain for all those that have many gun related products that use 3V lithium batteries.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Lithium Batteries Banned From Checked Bags

apparently they are attributing a fire in an airplane cargo hold that happened in philly to a loose or multiple loose lithium Ion batteries. I don't believe it has been identified as the definitive cause but it's just fuel to the fire for them in this issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaII5 View Post
    http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=205206086

It looks like this only applies to rechargeable. I sure hope so, if not this could be a pain for all those that have many gun related products that use 3V lithium batteries.
    I think it looks like it's intended to cover all lithium batteries depending on their packaging, or lack thereof.

Tests conducted by the Federal Aviation Administration show that aircraft cargo fire suppression systems on airplanes are incapable of containing fires caused by nonrechargeable lithium batteries packaged in bulk quantities.

(Allegheny County)

Next they will be banning 2 sticks just in case the accidentally rub together

Hawk,
    Toujours prêt

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Next they will be banning 2 sticks just in case the accidentally rub together

Hawk,
    Be careful, you don't want to be giving them any more bright ideas.

(Westmoreland County)

Man, I think it is easier to travel with next to nothing! First stop when you land is Wal-Mart! Buy what you need and go from there! LOL

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Lebanon County)

I see a marketing opportunity here for someone who can quickly and effectively develop, market, produce, and deliver an acceptable line of "wallets" or "holsters" to carry extra lithium batteries on ones person while traveling. Instead of ridiculing the situation, someone will surely be able to capitalize on it.
    I wish I was the one who had that ability, but alas, I only have thoughts that I don't follow up on.