Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Richland Township (Bucks County) PA, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)

Cool XDM Inside Info :-) Interchangability/Increased compact mag capacity

Okay,

I've figured out a few things I thought might be prudent to share with other XDM owners/enthusiasts here on the forum.

I currently own an XDM .40 with the 3.8 barrel, and an XDM 9mm compact.
    These would be my fifth and sixth XDM models, respectively.

The frames/slides ARE interchangeable. Springfield would not comment on this either way, obviously as it would stop enthusiasts from purchasing both models.

What I mean, specifically is that I can take the compact frame off the 9mm, swipe out the slide from the .40 (Both 3.8 models, mind you) and they fire flawlessly. As well, the 9mm slide functions flawlessly on the full size grip. The 9mm compact mags will hold, feed and function with 11 rounds of .40, they will just not show you correct capacity on the face

I have NOT tried this with the 4.5 models (I do not own one currently as i found the accuracy difference to be minute and the recoil difference to be significant - the 3.8 slide uses a double recoil spring VS. the 4.5's guide rod with single spring.) so if anyone owns a 4.5 I would be interested to find out if THAT slide will fire on the 3.8 compact frame.

OH, also. The 9mm compact ships with a 19 round mag and a 13 round mag. The 13 round mag will actually hold 14 rounds. I have NOT found 13 round mag that didn't function perfectly with 14 rounds, however I can not lay any claims to how that will affect magazine life span.

Just some tidbits I thought would save people some mo-nay.

NOTE: I would recommend not mentioning changing slides/frames to suit your leisure should you ever have to send a gun back to Springfield.

Hope this helped somebody!

Rob
    "More is lost through indecision than wrong decision"

Default Re: XDM Inside Info :-) Interchangability/Increased compact mag capacity

I once did the same thing with a S&W 6906 i owned. I put the compact slide on a full grip 5903 frame to come up with a unique pistol in a configuration that S&W never offered.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: XDM Inside Info :-) Interchangability/Increased compact mag capacity

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    I once did the same thing with a S&W 6906 i owned. I put the compact slide on a full grip 5903 frame to come up with a unique pistol in a configuration that S&W never offered.
    Thinking outside the box is good, but my fear (and I imagine the fear of others who probably thought to try this) was that it would damage the weapons. I've fired 200+ rounds through each configuration with 0 problems.. It felt selfish to not share with others who perhaps thought it would work but had too much good sense to give it a try lol

(Bedford County)

Yes I have already done this with my dads compact and my fullsize xdm. I love how the compact frame and a full 4.5 barrel feels!

(Jefferson County)

Did you get a feel for the spring compression rate for the .40S&W versus the 9mm? One may have a lessor rate than the other, like 18lbs versus 20lbs. Using the hotter cartridge with the lessor spring could cause damage. Spring rate is often overlooked on conversions.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Did you get a feel for the spring compression rate for the .40S&W versus the 9mm? One may have a lessor rate than the other, like 18lbs versus 20lbs. Using the hotter cartridge with the lessor spring could cause damage. Spring rate is often overlooked on conversions.
    Very true with barrel conversions..

However, this shouldn't hold true when switching entire slides, should it? As each is firing the round designed for it, it is simply two frames that are identical in function.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by pennsylvaniaboy View Post
    Yes I have already done this with my dads compact and my fullsize xdm. I love how the compact frame and a full 4.5 barrel feels!
    So you've successfully switched a 4.5 slide with a 3.8 and its operated without error? Are they both the same caliber ? 9/40? Thanks!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by RHGregory3 View Post
    Very true with barrel conversions..

However, this shouldn't hold true when switching entire slides, should it? As each is firing the round designed for it, it is simply two frames that are identical in function.
    If you switch entire slides, barrel and spring included it wouldn't be a problem.

I may not have fully understood what was transpiring in my original post, just assuming a total mix-up of parts.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!