Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default New HK P30 (and user) Problems

Approximately five months ago i bought my first pistol, a P30 LEM in 9mm. In the time since the firearm has had a spotty track record, some range sessions the gun will not jam at all and others the thing will have a jam / FTF / stovepipe every second or third round. I have had other more experienced shooters fire the weapon and generate similar results. I finally got fed up and took the gun back to the dealer / range where I bought it and asked them to take a look at it. After about 10 min. the guy comes out with the pistol and puts two mags through it without incident, telling me that the gun is fine. I have lurked several internet forums and have read a few threads about P30s shipping with a stiff main spring and requiring a replacement or requiring a break-in with heavier grain (124g or 147g) ammunition (I did put approximately 200 rounds of both the 124 and the 147 grain ammunition through the weapon in effort to break it in). Is this what is going on with my weapon? I did notice that when the dealer tested my pistol the thing was dripping with lube (I mean really dripping, I had to wash my hands afterwards, the thing was that wet). I seem to have a vague recollection of the firearm being overly lubricated on some of the "good nights" in the past, and I intend to test the weapon next range trip (later this week or early next) to see if in fact extra lubrication will "fix" the problem.

In the meantime, has anyone else encountered this type of problem, have any thing to try, or am I just crazy / don't know how to shoot?
    Thanks in advance!
    ~Nomad

Default Re: New HK P30 (and user) Problems

I have a P30 & while I don't keep it "dripping wet", it's always well lubed & has grease on the rails. I've never had a malfunction with it in 2 years.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Possible to have a stiff spring? Yes. It is a lot cheaper and less frustrating to sit and watch a movie or something and rack your slide a few hundred times to break it in a little. HK's are great, but anything (or gun) is supseptable to have a burr or two. Racking the slide a few hundred times will wear in the burr and lighten the spring some. Just pull back and ease forward with mag out. Don't let the slide slam. Clean the weapon before you do this and lightly grease the slide where it contacts the frame. Oil does not have the lube quality that grease does for low speed, low weight bearing friction. Plus, it does not drip. Also, make sure your mag follower comes all the way to the top and make sure you are not limp wristing, especially with lighter loads.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Possible to have a stiff spring? Yes. It is a lot cheaper and less frustrating to sit and watch a movie or something and rack your slide a few hundred times to break it in a little. HK's are great, but anything (or gun) is supseptable to have a burr or two. Racking the slide a few hundred times will wear in the burr and lighten the spring some. Just pull back and ease forward with mag out. Don't let the slide slam. Clean the weapon before you do this and lightly grease the slide where it contacts the frame. Oil does not have the lube quality that grease does for low speed, low weight bearing friction. Plus, it does not drip. Also, make sure your mag follower comes all the way to the top and make sure you are not limp wristing, especially with lighter loads.
    Curious.....don't let the slide slam? What happens each time an explosion occurs when you pull the trigger on a live round?

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    I have a P30 & while I don't keep it "dripping wet", it's always well lubed & has grease on the rails. I've never had a malfunction with it in 2 years.
    We must have posted at the same time. The grease thing is a must on all of my semi's.

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    Curious.....don't let the slide slam? What happens each time an explosion occurs when you pull the trigger on a live round?
    Got ya, it is just an anal thing with me in that I try not to do anything that is not necessary.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Got ya, it is just an anal thing with me in that I try not to do anything that is not necessary.
    Understood....just wondering if you knew something I didn't that would save me money in the future

(Allegheny County)

An Hk should run.

contact Hk directly, your dealer just doesnt want to send it back, demand they do.

(Monroe County)

HKs are very susceptible to limp wristing.....as 3 said, make sure this is not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by NomadShadow View Post
    Approximately five months ago i bought my first pistol, a P30 LEM in 9mm. In the time since the firearm has had a spotty track record, some range sessions the gun will not jam at all and others the thing will have a jam / FTF / stovepipe every second or third round. I have had other more experienced shooters fire the weapon and generate similar results. I finally got fed up and took the gun back to the dealer / range where I bought it and asked them to take a look at it. After about 10 min. the guy comes out with the pistol and puts two mags through it without incident, telling me that the gun is fine. I have lurked several internet forums and have read a few threads about P30s shipping with a stiff main spring and requiring a replacement or requiring a break-in with heavier grain (124g or 147g) ammunition (I did put approximately 200 rounds of both the 124 and the 147 grain ammunition through the weapon in effort to break it in). Is this what is going on with my weapon? I did notice that when the dealer tested my pistol the thing was dripping with lube (I mean really dripping, I had to wash my hands afterwards, the thing was that wet). I seem to have a vague recollection of the firearm being overly lubricated on some of the "good nights" in the past, and I intend to test the weapon next range trip (later this week or early next) to see if in fact extra lubrication will "fix" the problem.

In the meantime, has anyone else encountered this type of problem, have any thing to try, or am I just crazy / don't know how to shoot?
    Thanks in advance!
    ~Nomad
    The gun has a lifetime warranty. Send it back to HK, they will fix it for free.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast