Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Elusive Tactical Gun

I am interested in finding a handgun with a 3.5 to 4.5" barrel with a durable finish. The Glock 19/23 would be absolutely perfect, except for the slightly too big grip size. I have not tried a Generation 4, but maybe that would solve the problem somewhat. Additionally, I would really prefer the option of having a manual safety, even if I chose to never use it. Strictly as a range gun, I am fine without it. But if I ever had ot carry it, then I wouldn't be as comfortable. So, what are some other options... I was thinking about a CZ, an M&P, or XD?

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Elusive Tactical Gun

stainless 1911?
    S&W M&P40c, Sig P238 SAS-.380, Ruger mkIII .22, Thinking about a new sig 938.....

(Pike County)

Have you tried the S&W M&P line yet?? check them out. I find them to fit my hands/grip better than the Glocks.

(Monroe County)

Carry? In New Jersey?!!

The S&W M&P guns have slimmer grips than the glocks. But I agree with the previous post. Carry? In Jersey?
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

(Delaware County)

he must be connected or dreaming!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Oak_Patriot View Post
    The Glock 19/23 would be absolutely perfect, except for the slightly too big grip size. I have not tried a Generation 4, but maybe that would solve the problem somewhat. Additionally, I would really prefer the option of having a manual safety, even if I chose to never use it.
    Do try the Gen 4. The grip change made a big difference to me. If you really want a manual safety, it can be done:

Cominolli Manual Safety Kit

But IMHO it's really not necessary on a Glock, any more than it is on a revolver.

The M&Ps are a good choice as well, and can be had with or without thumb safety and magazine disconnect.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by Oak_Patriot View Post
    I am interested in finding a handgun with a 3.5 to 4.5" barrel with a durable finish. The Glock 19/23 would be absolutely perfect, except for the slightly too big grip size. I have not tried a Generation 4, but maybe that would solve the problem somewhat. Additionally, I would really prefer the option of having a manual safety, even if I chose to never use it. Strictly as a range gun, I am fine without it. But if I ever had ot carry it, then I wouldn't be as comfortable. So, what are some other options... I was thinking about a CZ, an M&P, or XD?
    Why no mention of Sig or HK?
    Honestly the only thing keeping me from Buying a new ruger is the fact that it HAS a manual safety. Id pick it over the CZ or the MP, probably over the XD too due to cost.

(Butler County)

I saw PD trade-in M&Ps for $399, not sure if that's about average or a good price?

I guess a lot of it depends on your definition of tactical? When I carried in NJ it was either a Glock 23 or a 1911. For HD I ran, and still run, an 870. My personal EDC now is usually a Sig 239 in .40, for work it's a 229 in .40.

That said, the more I shoot other pistols, the more I like my 1911s.

Good luck

(Westmoreland County)

The M&P sounds like the perfect fit for what you are looking for. Jetguns has them new for $439 with free shipping. The ergonomics of the weapon are absolutely superb. They are fast (low bore axis and mild recoil, quick to get back on target) and built to run hard. They've really become a favorite of people who do a lot of shooting (industry professionals). If you are one of the rare people who get one that doesn't run great right out of the box then you have the industry leader in customer service pledged to make it right and do it fast.

I have an M&P without the safety and one with the safety. As an aside I forgot how comfortable it is to ride that thumb safety during fire after going so long without getting my 1911 out to the range. It's in nearly the same place and feels like home.

I should also mention that I bought the thumb safety version after hearing a lot of chatter about an upcoming Apex upgrade that would make the M&P trigger about as similar to a tuned 1911 as one can get in a striker-fired polymer workhorse. It's out now (the Apex Tactical Forward Setting Sear and Trigger Kit) and although I haven't had the chance to check it out it really sounds like they hit it out of the park. The M&P seems to be developing into a 1911(ish) platform with aftermarket upgrades available. Another plus if you like to tinker with your guns and improve them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast