Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brainwashing???

Default Brainwashing???

Brainwashing in a past magazine I had bought I noticed and counted 52 pictures of 1911s and three features stories on a version of a 1911 in this one magazine.

I own three different brands of 1911s and waiting on another, have I no WE been brainwashed by this bombarment of 1911s everywhere so that we want and must have at least one or two or three. Or is it as good a platform as it seems once broke in or bought fully function-able?

I was just wonder if you sometimes feel the same way, that same mag had 37 pictures of Glocks throughout it, I own three of those too. Am I too easy to get to or are these products just to good pass up on?

Advertisement or Brainwashing or are they both the same?
    Last edited by Neko456; June 7th, 2011 at 10:43 AM.

Default Re: Brainwashing???

I agree. Both the latest issue of American Rifleman and Guns and Ammo feature 1911s on the cover. Americans are fascinated with the 1911 (and the AR 15), and these days it seems like they are all thats featured in many magazines. While I do appreciate the 1911, and the incredible amount of history it contains, I wouldn't mind seeing more articles on other platforms.

(Montgomery County)

I also agree. While I like 1911s, after having quite a number pass through my hands, I now own just one - a RIA, because it'll shoot pretty much any conical projectile that you can feed it. This, sadly, is not the case with a lot of 1911s, including some of the "designer label" 1911s. And, even at that, I don't carry my 1911.

As a computer enthusiast, and one-time builder of my own boxes, I recall the days when CDR drives were hitting the scene. Some brands were loved by some, because they'd burn at (at the time) 2x, 4x, 8x, etc. But, they were finicky: only "liked" certain media, etc. Other brands, would, as we said back at the time, "burn a paper plate". That's what I want in a gun, and for that reason, I carry a Glock 30, and keep a Glock 21 on the nightstand. I don't need to break it in, tune it, tweak it, buy specific ammo or magazines, etc. I am 100% certain, that assuming I don't screw up, it'll save my life.

As collector pieces and range guns, IMO, the 1911s have their place. But today, with all of the ultra-reliable, relatively inexpensive "new" guns on the market, I don't understand the logic behind hoping that fancy 1911's gonna be in the mood to go bang when you need it to.

Again, yes - I know there are reliable 1911s, and I don't want to be on the business end of any of them, but, yes, I think enough's enough.
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Lawrence County)

In most competitions, you will find that the 1911 (or variants such as the 2011) dominates at the highest levels.......and it what it doesn't dominate....the Glock does.

It comes down to the majority of shooters just happen to shoot one of these two platforms the best.

Lycanhasboththrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Westmoreland County)

I have seen countless ads and thread posts about AR15's and I still cant justify one for myself lol I have also seen countless glock/spring. XD/px4-storm ads and I still dont feel the overwhealming urge to buy one (will probably buy a glock someday just to see if they live up to the hype). A 1911 on the other hand is just flat out sexy, fun to shoot, accurate as hell, and are readily available in big bore callibers...Im just a sucker for them regardless if i ever seen another ad for them or not lol
    S&W M&P40c, Sig P238 SAS-.380, Ruger mkIII .22, Thinking about a new sig 938.....

(Berks County)

The 1911 being 100 this year has added to some of the extra media attention.

(Westmoreland County)

why couldnt it have a birthday next year when I wouldnt mind dropping some absurd amount of cash on one?!
    S&W M&P40c, Sig P238 SAS-.380, Ruger mkIII .22, Thinking about a new sig 938.....

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    Brainwashing in a past magazine I had bought I noticed and counted 52 pictures of 1911s and three features stories on a version of a 1911 in this one magazine.

I own three different brands of 1911s and waiting on another, have I no WE been brainwashed by this bombarment of 1911s everywhere so that we want and must have at least one or two or three. Or is it as good a platform as it seems once broke in or bought fully function-able?

I was just wonder if you sometimes feel the same way, that same mag had 37 pictures of Glocks throughout it, I own three of those too. Am I too easy to get to or are these products just to good pass up on?

Advertisement or Brainwashing or are they both the same?
    Everyone and their brother is just cashing in on the 100 yr anniversary of the 1911. I love my 1911 but honestly they are a good, not great gun in my opinion.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Delaware County)

but they are the classic gun, they look great and are what alot of people imagine when they think gun.

(Allegheny County)

They just scream "American" as does the AR. No surprise they're featured prominently in American gun mags.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast