Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Right hand shooter, left eye dominant.

Anyone else suffer from this? I have been trying to practice with my right eye, but I always naturally gravitate back to my left. Strangely though, with rifles I aim with my right eye.

I can't shoot left handed, I've tried and it just feels too awkward.

It's especially difficult when trying to practice main hand / off hand shooting.

Anyone have any kind of tips for me?

(Washington County)

Default Re: Right hand shooter, left eye dominant.

i dont suffer from this but i was helping teach 4 h kids how shoot rifles and we had a couple of kids that were the same way. the insturcter of the course suggested that either were an eye patch on the domiant eye or tape up the lens on the shooting glasses . some it helped and some it didnt but it doesnt hurt to try. hope this helps

(Chester County)

i am in the same situation but its never given me any trouble. i grew up shooting left eye closed as the "proper" technique for right hand shooters so now every time my cheek hits a stock my left eye just closes naturally. practice makes perfect i guess.

(Blair County)

I've been dealing with this issue since I was 12. I wasn't even aware it was the problem until I was about 16 and I learned about dominate eyes and all that jazz.

When shooting a rifle I shoot right handed all of the time. It's far more natural and more accurate than shooting left handed. If you keep practicing with your right eye you can train it. It just takes time and patience. Sometimes I find it hard to pick a target up in a scope unless I have both eyes open when bringing the rifle to a firing position. After years of practice I'm able to shoot with my non dominate eye while my dominate eye remains open. I would reccommend trying this technique because it feels far more natural to have both eyes open than to try and squint the dominate one shut when shooting (the glasses and patches work on the range but in the woods or the real world it's not the best option IMO)

When shooting a handgun I use my left eye to stare down the sights.

Hope that helps. From what I've seen more people have this problem then you'd think.
    "Improvise. Adapt. Overcome."

(Butler County)

I'm the opposite. Left handed, right eyed. Never bothered me. Long guns left eye (Weak eye) in line with sites = on target. Hand gun right eye (dominant) in line with sites = on target.

Just my opinion...Doesn't matter which eye.

(Chester County)

I'm right handed but left eye dominant. I just tilt my head a little when shooting pistol so I can use my left eye. For rifles I use my right eye. I sometimes use a patch and cover my left eye when doing rifle target shooting.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Same annoying problem here. I found it easier to learn to shoot long arms left handed than to learn how to focus with my right eye. I am sure that has something to do with the amount of time devoted to developing muscle memory for shooting is far less than than amount of time spent developing muscle memory constantly looking at things on a daily basis. I look at my computer a lot more than I shoot. In relative terms, my eye dominance is the old dog that can't learn new tricks, and my shooting technique, while disciplined, is still just a puppy. Eye patches sound fun, but would be completely unrealistic in a defense scenario. For me, I prefer to practice for real world defense scenarios more so than competitions. I don't want to pick up my shoot gun and have to ask the bad guy for a minute to adjust my patch. Even without the patch, I find it hard to believe in a stressful situation that you could guarantee that you wouldn't revert to using your dominant eye. I do shoot pistols right handed, but I don't tilt my head. I just adjust the aim accordingly. Keep in mind, I am far from being an expert, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by Big Chuck; June 6th, 2011 at 11:27 PM.
    I'll vote for Romney when he promises not to run in 2016.

(Monroe County)

yup I have it to, I've switched to lefty for rifle although righty is way more natural for me.

Pistols doesn't really matter as you can just hold where you need to

I also switched for Archery
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

I suffer the same, I am right handed and left eyed so I am under going a more difficult path. I shoot as much left handed as I do right handed. The pain is when using a rifle because it is difficult to try to shoot a rifle right handed and site it with your left eye. So screw it, I try to shoot rifles as much as I can left handed.
    Let me point one thing out to be aware of though. If you shoot right handed and bring the gun up to sight with your left eye you end up crossing your center line and "squaring up" leaving yourself more exposed. Try to learn to shoot left handed as well as right, and I usaully turn sideways alittle when I shoot right handed so my right eye is in perfect alignment with the gun sights, it helps some. But try not to close one of your eyes when doing tactical stuff because when the adrenaline kicks in you are going to suffer tunnel vision as it is and you want as much of your sight as possible in case there is more than one threat.
    Last edited by StrangeKnight; June 7th, 2011 at 12:01 AM. Reason: added on

(Allegheny County)

I have the same problem, it sucks, maybe I'll try the eye patch thing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast