Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default keltec p3at jamming (pictures)

I have a p3at jamming, anyone know why? It is the last empty piece of brass that is jamming. I don't know why the slide isn't pushing the empty back into the chamber/back to battery.

The attached photos are how it jams, and stays. I did nothing to keep the slide in that position. It is a fired piece of brass that is stuck there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Blair County)

Default Re: keltec p3at jamming (pictures)

Did you try it with another mag? Im not gunsmith...but if its only happening on the last round, and the slide stays open I would guess something on the mag is holding up the last round. I would think weak extractor, but dont see why that would only happen on the last round.

(Northampton County)

Looks like the follower in the magazine is coming up too far and jamming the slide - there's nothing else on the gun that can hold the slide back. I've never had a problem like this with mine, over 300 rounds through it.
    Jim Hauff H&R Collector In memory of my friends Bill Goforth and Jim Ritchie.

(Berks County)

Ok few things to try before calling Keltec to have then do a warranty repair:

ALL STEPS ARE TO BE DONE WITH THE AMMO OUT OF THE PISTOL AND THE PISTOL FIELD STRIPPED!!

1. Get a pipe cleaner or brass toothbrush. Spray some solvent into the hook of the extractor. Clean out that are. Repeat until pipe cleaner is staying white.

2. With a magnifying glass, check the extrator. Look for either breaks or metal sticking up inside the hook area. If you find any, stop and call Keltec for a repair tag. If you are confident in your ability to repair this pistol, order a new extractor and install that part.

3. Get a borebrush that is slightly larger than the chamber area of the pistol barrel. Spray down the chamber area and then clean that area of the barrel.
    Run patches through that area until they come out clean.

4. Again with the magnifying glass look in the cleaned chamber area. Look for any signs of machine marks or burrs or obstructions in this area. Again if you find any, call Keltec and get a repair tag.

5. If you find no obstruction, and the chamber in clean, get a live round. By hand drop the live round into the chamber. Tip the barrel to allow the round to fall out. If the round falls out under its own weight then you should be good to go. If the round sticks or slowly falls out...yup call Keltec for a repair ticket.

Hope this helps
    gotta love her ;)

(Chester County)

Are you shooting factory ammo or reloads? Have you tried a new magazine?
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Montgomery County)

Like others said above, seems like a mag follower issue. If it were an extractor issue, it wouldn't only happen while extracting the last round. I'd try a new mag.

(Monroe County)

If you have disassembled the mags to clean them you may have put it back together wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Edg View Post
    Did you try it with another mag? Im not gunsmith...but if its only happening on the last round, and the slide stays open I would guess something on the mag is holding up the last round. I would think weak extractor, but dont see why that would only happen on the last round.
    I have other mags I will try next range trip. There's rain in Pittsburgh today.

Quote Originally Posted by 32 Magnum View Post
    Looks like the follower in the magazine is coming up too far and jamming the slide - there's nothing else on the gun that can hold the slide back. I've never had a problem like this with mine, over 300 rounds through it.
    Follower does seem to be the problem, I just haven't figured it out yet.

Quote Originally Posted by West Chester View Post
    Are you shooting factory ammo or reloads? Have you tried a new magazine?
    They were reloads that day. I don't think the reloads are the problem though.

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    If you have disassembled the mags to clean them you may have put it back together wrong.
    I disassembled the offending magazine. A broken pencil lead tip fell out, maybe 2.5mm long. No idea where it came from. I'd be surprised if that was the problem, but when the rain is over, I'll try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by gold cup abuser View Post
    Ok few things to try before calling Keltec to have then do a warranty repair:
    1. Get a pipe cleaner ...

2. With a magnifying glass, check the extractor...

3. Get a borebrush ...

4. Again with the magnifying ...
    I'll try this too, just no time yet. Thanks for the advice. I just did the magazine first since those guys fall apart so easily.

(Bucks County)

Have you joined or viewed KTOG (KelTec Owners Group)?

My P3AT didn't run well out of the box, until I fluff and buffed it per advice found on KTOG.

Anyway, only the mag or mag follower could stop the slide, as already mentioned, if the reason is not ammo.