Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: accurizing an lr308

I know this is an old thread but wanted to add some experience with the 15 min job on the LR308 platform. I have done the same job on a pretty stock bushmaster with great success. I did the 15 min job on the 308, it made a difference but also introduced misfires when shooting surplus. Replacing the hammer spring with an uncut resolved the issue and did not seem to affect trigger pull noticeably. Polishing the sear surfaces with a white jewelers polish and a dremmel did more good than anything. It got the grit out of the pull and the reduced trigger weight made the trigger snap rather than clunk.
    I won't say it improved my accuracy much but it did give a better feel.

DPMS 18" heavy stainless barrel, Troy free float rail, and a CMC 3lb trigger. I need to learn how to better control my left to right sway with breathing, but mine's easily groups under 1/2" with factory loads when I do my part.

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

(Lackawanna County)

I have a dpms lrt-sass that shoots better than i do. its free floated jp trigger and magpul prs stock. That stock makes one hell of a difference once you get it dialed in to your length of pull and comb height. If I had better glass on it i think it would help but I cant justify the price when I cant stretch its legs much.

this was shot off the bipod only. Eventually Ill look into a rear monopod for it but I dont shoot off bags. I feel if i ever need to shoot it for its intended purpose I wont be having a 10 lb sandbag iwth me

(Perry County)

You can get a big improvement by using a "Sand Sock". As the name implies it can be a sock (preferably one with no holes in the toe or heal) filled with sand. I use beans as they are lighter and not nearly as prone to leaks as sand. Simply put the sock in the palm of your support hand under the stock and squeeze to adjust the height. Prone with a decent bipod and a sand sock you should be nearly (but not quite) as accurate as shooting off a bench with bags.

Well, now that this thread is completely resurrected, I'll comment on some stuff that I missed when this thread first popped up, and some of the new comments that are coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
    DPMS 18" heavy stainless barrel, Troy free float rail, and a CMC 3lb trigger. I need to learn how to better control my left to right sway with breathing, but mine's easily groups under 1/2" with factory loads when I do my part.

If you are getting lateral movement (left or right) from your breathing, it is NOT because of your breathing. When you are breathing, the crosshairs or sights should only fall and rise, IF your shooting position is correct. There should be ZERO lateral movement while you are breathing. If there is lateral movement in the rifle while you are breathing, it means that you are not shooting from your natural point of aim. It means you need to adjust or rebuild your position so that you are straight behind the rifle, and at your natural point of aim.

NPA (Natural Point of Aim) is a fundamental to proper long range and surgical precision shooting. It's necessary to be able to spot for yourself, and make fast follow up shots. Without it, you won't have repeatable, consistent accuracy. If you'll work on your position, and get into your natural point of aim, there will be on lateral movement of the crosshairs or sights while you breathe.

Thanks, explains why I'm having issues with timing it right. This is bench shooting off the bipod and bag under the stock. I guess I'll play around with positioning of myself to see if I can eliminate that movement.
    "If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12