Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default bcg stuck need help

just purchased first ar took it out shoot a couple hundred rounds thru it without any incident.took it home to clean bcg and such when i went to slide the the ch and bcg it didnt want to seem to sit properly so i slammed it in got the lower and upper together now it seems real tight when i pull the charging handle....any help of what i messed up would be helpful....thanks

Default Re: bcg stuck need help

Make sure your gas tube is straight and not binding on the carrier. Other than that, reassemble it, again. There is only one way these parts can go in. Clean all the parts good and inside the receiver, as well. A tiny piece of debris can cause a binding.

Slamming is not good during assembly! The parts should go together smoothly.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz2720 View Post
    Slamming is not good during assembly! The parts should go together smoothly.
    +1 to this... this is an AR not an AK heh I'd check to make sure that the CH is properly seated into the groove above the BCG, there are 2 tabs on either side of the CH which fit into cuts which are found about an inch or two from the back of the upper allowing it to slip in and out of the channel for removal.

(Berks County)

First thing I'd do here is remove the lower assembly completely, then remove the charging handle and the BCG and inspect for damage, gouging, etc. It should slide out easily, and if not, then something's binding for sure.

The most likely culprit may be the charging handle, which is machined aluminum of relatively slim gauge.

As has been stated, other debris may bind the BCG, preventing it from moving freely - and if the gas key isn't where it should be, that will bind it up as well.

Disassembly and inspection is the only prescription that's gonna work. This means checking the inside of the upper as well, along with the chamber.

BTW - You did lube this thing properly when you got it, right?
    Last edited by kunsunoke; June 5th, 2011 at 08:00 PM.
    These are the exalted gharāniq, whose intercession is hoped for. LMAO

(York County)

i believe i diagnosed it. the part of the bolt carrier (don't know the exact name of it) that goes into the gas system above the feed ramps was slightly deformed ....dont ask me how, but i rounded it out as much as possible using needle noses than used a small metal file to help round it out. it is not sticking no more ....excuse the terminology not quite the ar guru yet ....also while it seems to rack find i'm a little nervous about function when i next shoot it