Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Debate with some friends about checking a firearm at the courthouse

A few weeks ago, I went to Doylestown Courthouse to get a marriage license. I was concealed carrying and checked my firearm. To my surprise, the officer just opened the locker and let me put my firearm there without him asking to look at it or handle it. I took off my entire holster, with the gun still in it, and put the whole thing in the locker. The gun was loaded with a round in the chamber.

When I got home, I was talking to two friends about my experience. They both concluded that what I did was irresponsible and unsafe. Their logic was, I left a loaded gun unattended, which you should never do. I argued that it was under lock and key, and attended by an armed guard. I also pointed out that there were tons of people 360 degrees around me, and it would be a really bad place to risk a ND. They said, if you don't trust yourself clearing a firearm in a public place, then you shouldn't be carrying at all. In the end, we pretty much agreed to disagree, and moved on to drinking beers and bullshitting about....all kinds of bullshit.

Anyway I'm posting this here because I think they have valid points. I know from reading previous threads here that most people will probably take my side of the argument. It's been said over and over again on PAFOA that less handling= less chance of a ND. But I wanted to bring up these points because they do hold some water. What do you guys think?

Default Re: Debate with some friends about checking a firearm at the courthouse

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    A few weeks ago, I went to Doylestown Courthouse to get a marriage license. I was concealed carrying and checked my firearm. To my surprise, the officer just opened the locker and let me put my firearm there without him asking to look at it or handle it. I took off my entire holster, with the gun still in it, and put the whole thing in the locker. The gun was loaded with a round in the chamber.

When I got home, I was talking to two friends about my experience. They both concluded that what I did was irresponsible and unsafe. Their logic was, I left a loaded gun unattended, which you should never do. I argued that it was under lock and key, and attended by an armed guard. I also pointed out that there were tons of people 360 degrees around me, and it would be a really bad place to risk a ND. They said, if you don't trust yourself clearing a firearm in a public place, then you shouldn't be carrying at all. In the end, we pretty much agreed to disagree, and moved on to drinking beers and bullshitting about....all kinds of bullshit.

Anyway I'm posting this here because I think they have valid points. I know from reading previous threads here that most people will probably take my side of the argument. It's been said over and over again on PAFOA that less handling= less chance of a ND. But I wanted to bring up these points because they do hold some water. What do you guys think?
    Sounds like you made the right call. Guns go off when humans manipulate them; the more you play with them, the greater the chance of an ND.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Lancaster County)

I don't think it's a matter of feeling comfortable with manipulating the action in public, it's a matter of messing with it when you really don't need to. If it remains in the holster with the trigger covered, it's more safe than pulling it and possibly having an NG. If you can unclip the holder from the belt without removing the firearm, I believe that's the best way to do it.

Please note, no movies were referenced in this post
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Allegheny County)

I think to some extent, you are right. Removing a firearm is an inherently dangerous act - we all know that a firearm's is safest when it is left in the holster. Even removing a holster, CC/OC, whatever, can be unsafe if you mishandle it.

However, for the sake of carrying a firearm, we may be asked to do things that we know are not right or unsafe - and we comply, albeit with detest, we comply so that one may, in your case, carry a firearm to and from the court house without leaving it unattended in a vehicle, say, or even worse - just left at home in the safe.

Ultimately, I think that you did what you had to do to; to the best of your ability, protect your rights and still abide by the law.
    this is not legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post

Please note, no movies were referenced in this post
    And no animals were harmed either, right?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    And no animals were harmed either, right?
    Sorry, I cannot say whether any were or were not.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Bucks County)

Sounds like the right move to me as well.
    Jesus is Lord !

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post

I actually prefer if I'm able to put my firearm in the locker directly. Any extra fondling of a loaded firearm creates the possibility of a negligent discharge.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Butler County)

Good job. I had a good experience at Beaver County CH, same thing for the most part. I did remove the firearm from the holster and place it inside the box though. Perhaps next time I should remove the holster as well.
    H&K USP Compact 9mm//SA XD-9//SA XDs 45//S&W 442

If the same circumstance had presented itself to me I would have removed my holster/weapon as a unit to be checked into the locker.

Bang-switch covered = no bang
    will that extra 15% matter? not as much as being able to put one in their face. ~Edg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast