Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Legal to have PR24 (side handle baton) in vehicle?

Is it legal within the state of pa to have a PR24 within the confines of ones vehicle?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Legal to have PR24 (side handle baton) in vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by Silveradoguy17 View Post
    Is it legal within the state of pa to have a PR24 within the confines of ones vehicle?
    by that i guess you mean baton?

I would say yes, IANAL, But do not go to philly.

In theory only, i have a golfclub and baseball bat in my trunk jic, in theory of course.

you know, jic a game of golf or baseball breaks out, im prepared
    Last edited by NuclearSociety; June 2nd, 2011 at 07:47 PM.
    <-Click For My Youtube [Don't waive your rights with your flags. -Sage Francis]

(Westmoreland County)

yes, wooden baton with grip perpendicular to the baton. I never go to philly so we are safe there.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by NuclearSociety View Post
    by that i guess you mean baton?

I would say yes, IANAL, But do not go to philly.

In theory only, i have a golfclub and baseball bat in my trunk jic, in theory of course.

you know, jic a game of golf or baseball breaks out, im prepared

Those games do break out allot, And you don't want to miss out in the fun because you left your Sports-Gear at home.
    The other players might not take to Kindly to you leaving your gear at home.

Then again, You should be ready to play anywhere at any time!
    Supporting Member:
    TACDA NRA PAZRT
    PAFOA NRA-ILA

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Silveradoguy17 View Post
    A PR-24 is basicly a baton = blackjack
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baton_(law_enforcement)

There may be other statues in PA law beside this one in title 18 section 908 Prohibited offensive weapons

since 908 is worded so poorly seems like it can apply to lots of things because its ripe for selective interpolation.

Unless you fall into one of the exemptions.

IF you ever have to use the PR-24, you might be in trouble or IF you get stopped and they are looking for a reason to cite you for something they could, as whats going to be your cover story for having it you car 24/7?

People have been stopped and cited for having a buck 110 folding pocket knife under this section 908 because it is so written vague..... lots of items in this 908 Prohibited offensive weapons section are not illegal to own or buy in PA, it just something to charge someone with something when they want to....selectivily enforce the law on people they don't like.

18 Pa.C.S. § 908: Prohibited offensive weapons (a) Offense defined.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if, except as authorized by law, he makes repairs, sells, or otherwise deals in, uses, or possesses any offensive weapon.
    (b) Exceptions.--
    (1) It is a defense under this section for the defendant to prove by a preponderance of evidence that he possessed or dealt with the weapon solely as a curio or in a dramatic performance, or that, with the exception of a bomb, grenade or incendiary device, he complied with the National Firearms Act (26 U.S.C. § 5801 et seq.), or that he possessed it briefly in consequence of having found it or taken it from an aggressor, or under circumstances similarly negativing any intent or likelihood that the weapon would be used unlawfully.
    (2) This section does not apply to police forensic firearms experts or police forensic firearms laboratories. Also exempt from this section are forensic firearms experts or forensic firearms laboratories operating in the ordinary course of business and engaged in lawful operation who notify in writing, on an annual basis, the chief or head of any police force or police department of a city, and, elsewhere, the sheriff of a county in which they are located, of the possession, type and use of offensive weapons.
    (3) This section shall not apply to any person who makes, repairs, sells or otherwise deals in, uses or possesses any firearm for purposes not prohibited by the laws of this Commonwealth.
    (c) Definitions.--As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:
    "Firearm." Any weapon which is designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive or the frame or receiver of any such weapon.
    "Offensive weapons." Any bomb, grenade, machine gun, sawed-off shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches, firearm specially made or specially adapted for concealment or silent discharge, any blackjack, sandbag, metal knuckles, dagger, knife, razor or cutting instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or otherwise, any stun gun, stun baton, taser or other electronic or electric weapon or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose.
    (d) Exemptions.--The use and possession of blackjacks by the following persons in the course of their duties are exempt from this section:
    (1) Police officers, as defined by and who meet the requirements of the act of June 18, 1974 (P.L. 359, No. 120), referred to as the Municipal Police Education and Training Law. [FN1]
    (2) Police officers of first class cities who have successfully completed training which is substantially equivalent to the program under the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.
    (3) Pennsylvania State Police officers.
    (4) Sheriffs and deputy sheriffs of the various counties who have satisfactorily met the requirements of the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.
    (5) Police officers employed by the Commonwealth who have satisfactorily met the requirements of the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.
    (6) Deputy sheriffs with adequate training as determined by the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency.
    (7) Liquor Control Board agents who have satisfactorily met the requirements of the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.
    Sporting equipment even a baseball bat does have "a lawful purpose" not having a ball and well worn glove at the same time and just carrying a bat around all the time looks bad....well that's going to your problem to explain why you just have a baseball bat in your car if ever asked.

In case someone doesn't know what a PR-24 baton is

http://batons.com/
    http://www.batons.com/pr_24_fixed.html
    Learn how to really SUPPORT the 2nd Amendment cause Go To http://www.foac-pac.org/

id like to expand to any baton. because i know a few people have them in the old bug-out-bag or get-home-bag. A few years ago when i lived in Ohio and was driving through pa, i was pulled over and almost arrested for having a baton in the back seat. Im not bitching, If its illegal its illegal, it just didnt make sense to me. It doesn't say baton in the law, they use the word blackjack, which is also the word used by many other states laws. I was always told a blackjack was a small leather pouch looking thing about 6in long filled with shot. Apparently that was wrong.

The law does say in the Exceptions "under circumstances similarly negativing any intent or likelihood that the weapon would be used unlawfully." and in Definitions "for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose." I'm assuming this is why he confiscated it and i wasnt arrested. I was driving the speed limit, i was not in the process of beating someone up, i was doing nothing but driving home in a safe manor. Thinking back to when this happened the exact words of the officer, as he is holding the baton, were "i could arrest you for having this". it is a possibility he could have just been referring to it as being a concealed weapon because it was in my car.

Isn't using it in self defense a "common lawful purpose", and therefore using the weapon lawfully?

By this same law would it not make stun-guns illegal as well? I've never had anyone tell me they where illegal, officer or civilian.

Definition
    Baton- a type of club (weapon). A baton or truncheon (also called a cosh, Paddy wacker, billystick, billy club, nightstick, sap, blackjack, stick) is essentially a stick of less than arm's length—usually made of wood, plastic, or metal. They are carried for less lethal self-defense purposes by law-enforcement officers, correctional staff, security-industry employees and (less often) military personnel. Other uses for truncheons and batons include crowd control or the dispersal of belligerent or non-compliant targets. A baton or truncheon may be used to strike, jab, block, bludgeon and aid in the application of armlocks. Sometimes, they also are employed as weapons by criminals and other law-breakers because of their easy concealment. As a consequence, they are illegal for non-authorized civilian use in many jurisdictions around the world.

PA Law
    § 908. Prohibited offensive weapons.
    (a) Offense defined.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if, except as authorized by law, he makes repairs, sells, or otherwise deals in, uses, or possesses any offensive weapon.
    (b) Exceptions.--
    (1) It is a defense under this section for the defendant to prove by a preponderance of evidence that he possessed or dealt with the weapon solely as a curio or in a dramatic performance, or that, with the exception of a bomb, grenade or incendiary device, he complied with the National Firearms Act (26 U.S.C. § 5801 et seq.), or that he possessed it briefly in consequence of having found it or taken it from an aggressor, or under circumstances similarly negativing any intent or likelihood that the weapon would be used unlawfully.
    (2) This section does not apply to police forensic firearms experts or police forensic firearms laboratories. Also exempt from this section are forensic firearms experts or forensic firearms laboratories operating in the ordinary course of business and engaged in lawful operation who notify in writing, on an annual basis, the chief or head of any police force or police department of a city, and, elsewhere, the sheriff of a county in which they are located, of the possession, type and use of offensive weapons.
    (3) This section shall not apply to any person who makes, repairs, sells or otherwise deals in, uses or possesses any firearm for purposes not prohibited by the laws of this Commonwealth. © Definitions.--As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection: "Firearm." Any weapon which is designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive or the frame or receiver of any such weapon. "Offensive weapons." Any bomb, grenade, machine gun, sawed- off shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches, firearm specially made or specially adapted for concealment or silent discharge, any blackjack, sandbag, metal knuckles, dagger, knife, razor or cutting instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or otherwise, any stun gun, stun baton, taser or other electronic or electric weapon or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose.
    Last edited by rthrasher2; June 3rd, 2011 at 11:50 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

I prefer 3 or 4 D cell aluminum flashlights, is red. Only thing it looks like is a flashlight, even though it's a footlong metal rod, it's a flashlight.

Bump. I'm also curious about this.

(Northampton County)

Get some training in "combat cane". You can even take a cane on an airplane.

Only cops should be allowed to carry batons... and guns for that matter

OK, well maybe majorettes can carry batons also

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast