Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Fayette County)

Exclamation Non-Res Permit NRA Certification $20

If there is anyone else out there looking to get a FL AZ or other non resident permit but need to take the required NRA Firearms Safety course, there is one being held near Pittsburgh for only $20.

He needs at least 10 others to sign up.

I plan on applying for my AZ permit and I am pretty sure this class will meet the required safety training.

Here is the class info:

Course Title NRA Home Firearm Safety Course
    Class Date & Time Saturday, June 25, 2011 10:00 AM
    Registration
    Close Date Saturday, June 18, 2011
    Cost $20.00
    Initial Deposit Required $0.00
    Address Allegheny Country Rifle Club
    99 Schuetzen Park Road
    Pittsburgh, PA 15209
    USA
    Ph: 412-952-4814

Please post here if you plan on attending.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

Default Re: Non-Res Permit NRA Certification $20

Does the course include live fire?

AZ was eventually going to to require that in an NRA course...not sure if they have done so or not yet.

ETA:
    It looks like Home Firearm Safety course does not include live fire.

You might want to check with AZ to see if they will accept it as training.

Email or call them: 602-256-6280 or 800-256-6280.
    Last edited by HiredGoon; June 8th, 2011 at 05:24 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Does the course include live fire?

AZ was eventually going to to require that in an NRA course...not sure if they have done so or not yet.

ETA:
    It looks like Home Firearm Safety course does not include live fire.

You might want to check with AZ to see if they will accept it as training.

Email or call them: 602-256-6280 or 800-256-6280.
    This course does not have live fire and would not meet AZ or FL statute.

This course would also not suffice for Florida as the Florida statute requires that the instructor maintain records and certify they that the student has safely discharged a firearm.

AZ also requires live fire per their statute. AZ statute says the student must demonstrate proficiency with a firearm.

gbrown221

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown221 View Post

AZ also requires live fire per their statute. AZ statute says the student must demonstrate proficiency with a firearm.

gbrown221
    I just looked at the current AZ statute, nowhere does it mention "live fire". Was it you or Mrjam2jab that said before that the AZ folks who issue the permit were going to change the statute to read "live fire"?

The AZ statute now reads, for those who may be interested:

N. An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:

1. Completion of any firearms training program that is approved by the department of public safety and that is conducted by instructors who are authorized by the department of public safety or who possess current national rifle association instructor certifications in pistol and personal protection and who submit to a background investigation, including a check for warrants and a criminal history records check.

2. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the department of public safety.

3. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state.

4. Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course.

5. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class that is offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies or other divisions or subdivisions of law enforcement or security enforcement and that is approved by the department of public safety.

6. Evidence of current military service or proof of honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions from the United States armed forces.

7. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.

8. Completion of any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualification to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.

9. Completion of any other firearms training that the department of public safety deems acceptable.

I just looked at the current AZ statute, nowhere does it mention "live fire". Was it you or Mrjam2jab that said before that the AZ folks who issue the permit were going to change the statute to read "live fire"?
    Procedure (Obtaining a Permit)
    New Permit:

DPS Approved Course Applicant Instructions

1.Once you have determined that you are qualified to obtain a concealed weapon permit, <SNIP> You must qualify with a handgun firing live ammunition. <SNIP>
    http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concea...mits/Obtain/#4

Quote Originally Posted by Rollon18wheeler View Post
    Hmmmm, OK, my bad. I did not see that. Thanks for pointing it out.

Hmmmm, OK, my bad. I did not see that. Thanks for pointing it out.
    state websites dont put everything in one place. it makes it a pain navigate through everything to find anything lol

although it says that You must qualify with a handgun firing live ammunition, in the same list it also says that you must go through an 8 hour course taught by a CWPU authorized instructor.

if i remember correct, all you have (had) to do was fill out the application, send 2 fingerprint cards, and prove that you have showed proficiency with a firearm. they didnt even want a copy of your drivers license, didnt want a photo of you, and didnt need a concealed weapon training course??

utah was the one that required the training course that the instructor needed to put a stamp on your application before u could send it in, send them your drivers license, passport photo, 1 fingerprint card, but did not have to live-fire a firearm

who knows, they might have changed it now?

(Fayette County)

I too thought that AZ didn't reqiure a live fire for the course.

Im sorry if I mislead anyone.

I figured a $20 course is better than paying the $60-$100 fee for most courses.

I know Virginia doesn't require a live fire in the course.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

Quote Originally Posted by Rollon18wheeler View Post
    state websites dont put everything in one place. it makes it a pain navigate through everything to find anything lol

although it says that You must qualify with a handgun firing live ammunition, in the same list it also says that you must go through an 8 hour course taught by a CWPU authorized instructor.
    I believe the 8 hour course thing is/was for AZ residents.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    I too thought that AZ didn't reqiure a live fire for the course.

Im sorry if I mislead anyone.
    When AZ changed their statutes about 2 years ago (?) it seems the DPS was somewhat slow on getting used to the new laws and did not update the website quickly and seemed to be unsure about what type of training that out-of-staters could use.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast