Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Default Re: 18 Year old Carry Questions...

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    In PA (except Philly), you being 18 can Open Carry.

In Philly, you can't since it is a 1st class city (only one in PA) and a LTCF is required to OC or CC.

To purchase a firearm in PA, you have to be 21 to purchase from an FFL.
    You could legally purchase a firearm at 18, but a Sheriff would need to conduct the transfer (Good Luck with that)

Your parent can gift you a firearm, but they can't buy one from an FFL for you.

You can't carry in a car loaded OR unloaded without a LTCF. There are exceptions such as going to/from the range, place of repair, etc.
    You can't conceal and you can't carry withing 1000feet of a school

"Anyone" 18+ non-prohibited to carry or buy firearms can Open Carry in PA (outside Phila).... you don't have to be 21 and you don't need a LTCF

This is a lot to type to accurately tell you everything.... Go read the stickies and then come back with your questions.
    What this post says is that at age 18 to carry in Pa is totally impractical in many areas. The 1000 foot within a school rule in any kind of a built up area makes an LTCF absolutely essential.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: 18 Year old Carry Questions...

Quote Originally Posted by BandanaBandit1 View Post
    I have asked the same question to 2 different individuals, both with a great level of knowledge of firearms and PA carry laws. BOTH told me it is illegal for a 18 year old to just own a pistol, let alone carry one. can someone please site me the Statutes of the law that covers this? Thanks to everyone in advance.!
    They are both wrong, I'll see if I can dig up the some statutes. People assume you have to be 21 to own a pistol, because you can't buy one from an FFL until you are 21.

ETA:

18 Pa.C.S. § 6110.1: Possession of firearm by minor

(a) Firearm.--Except as provided in subsection (b), a person under 18 years of age shall not possess or transport a firearm anywhere in this Commonwealth.
    If you want to, look here http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/...-firearms-act/ for all the firearms laws in PA. You won't find anything that says it's illegal for an 18 year old to own a pistol.
    Last edited by bac0nfat; June 22nd, 2011 at 08:16 AM.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Transfer questions

Quote Originally Posted by Marko From PA View Post
    Now does my grandmother the one who will receive the handgun from my friend need a ccp to get It transferred to her? or will she being over the age of 21 be enough?

Thanks for any and all awnsers.
    She doesn't need a license. A license is for carrying concealed or in a vehicle, not for owning/buying a handgun. Your friend and your grandmother only need to go to a dealer to do a proper transfer.

Once it is in her name, she can keep it or give it to you.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567