Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: 18 Year old Carry Questions...

Okay, but is it legal for one of my parents to buy the handgun and give it to me as a "Present"? If i didnt provide the cash for them to use for it wouldnt that be legal?
    Dont Forget To Give Me Some Good Rep! Thanks!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by BandanaBandit1 View Post
    Okay, but is it legal for one of my parents to buy the handgun and give it to me as a "Present"? If i didnt provide the cash for them to use for it wouldnt that be legal?
    Yes, your parent can purchase a firearm intended as a gift for you. No transfer needs to be conducted between your parent and you. They can buy it and then simply hand it to you and it is yours. If they already have a firearm, they can give or sell you those too with no transfer needed.

Assuming you are 18+, non-prohibited, they are your parents, and everyone is a PA resident.
    Last edited by BimmerJon; June 2nd, 2011 at 11:42 PM.

Now... how about this? Is a step-parent considered a parent for the purpose of "gifting" a firearm to a step-child?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Now... how about this? Is a step-parent considered a parent for the purpose of "gifting" a firearm to a step-child?
    Nope, biological or adopted.

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/134...ml#post1584750
    Last edited by BimmerJon; June 3rd, 2011 at 12:12 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    No it's not.
    I meant to say Child. Not Sibling.

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    In PA (except Philly), you being 18 can Open Carry.

In Philly, you can't since it is a 1st class city (only one in PA) and a LTCF is required to OC or CC.

To purchase a firearm in PA, you have to be 21 to purchase from an FFL.
    You could legally purchase a firearm at 18, but a Sheriff would need to conduct the transfer (Good Luck with that)

Your parent can gift you a firearm, but they can't buy one from an FFL for you.

You can't carry in a car loaded OR unloaded without a LTCF. There are exceptions such as going to/from the range, place of repair, etc.
    You can't conceal and you can't carry withing 1000feet of a school

"Anyone" 18+ non-prohibited to carry or buy firearms can Open Carry in PA (outside Phila).... you don't have to be 21 and you don't need a LTCF

This is a lot to type to accurately tell you everything.... Go read the stickies and then come back with your questions.
    However at 18 years of age you can travel half way across the world, shed your blood on the battle grounds defending your rights against a foreign enemy, the very same rights that your own country deny you.

(Berks County)

With an out of state LTCF just remember that schools are still a no go.

Title 18 U.S.C §922
    (ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
    Fraggle09027 is not a lawyer. Any advice is just advice (my own 2 cents) and is not expressed or implied as legal advice.

(Beaver County)

Hello guys! I'm new here and I'd like to ask that If my dad who divorced my mom, could give me a handgun as a gift. I'm not sure and I Wouldn't want him to get In trouble. I Mean, he's still considered my dad, right?

Thanks for everyones time and cooperation that they take out for my question

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Marko From PA View Post
    Hello guys! I'm new here and I'd like to ask that If my dad who divorced my mom, could give me a handgun as a gift. I'm not sure and I Wouldn't want him to get In trouble. I Mean, he's still considered my dad, right?

Yes, he can still give you a gun. He is your dad until he gives up or is stripped of his parental rights.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Marko From PA View Post

yes and he could legally gift you (an 18+ year old) a handgun but only if you and he are BOTH residents of Pa and the gift transfer occurs in Pa - said transfer can be done directly and without an FFL/sheriff.

If he is a resident of a different state than a gift transfer could not be done until you're 21 and then it must be through an FFL of your home state.
    IANAL

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast