Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lee powder disks

Hey guys, I'm loading with my Lee pro1000 and I'm getting very inconsistent powder measures using the disks. Is it possible to put a powder throw on the press to meter better? I know the press is not ideal, I know there is better out there but for now this is what I have and would like to make it work. I'm just wanting to get away from the disks but still have the powder measure in the progressive process.
    Thanks

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Lee powder disks

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    Hey guys, I'm loading with my Lee pro1000 and I'm getting very inconsistent powder measures using the disks. Is it possible to put a powder throw on the press to meter better? I know the press is not ideal, I know there is better out there but for now this is what I have and would like to make it work. I'm just wanting to get away from the disks but still have the powder measure in the progressive process.
    Thanks
    I believe a lot depends on the powder too. I use Universal clays and get an inconsistent measure, while my friend uses Bullseye and has good luck with it.

(Montgomery County)

I get very good results from mine using Bullseye, Unique, and IMR 4064. I do a few things that I think helped.

First run at least a few loads before you start a batch, just fill a cartridge, weigh, dump back in, repeat.

Second I do tap the press when I get to the down stroke and again to fill the cavity on the up stroke. Once I'm in a rhythm it doesn't slow me down at all.

I agree there are better pressed and throwers out there that will fit into the lee, but I've been happy with mine for several years now.

(Jefferson County)

The shape of the powder will often play a major part in inconsistent charges. Volumetric measuring is not the proper method for smokeless powder, so you will have issues. But some shapes like flake and rod will contribute even more to the problem.

Which powder are you using? Could you switch to another?

Also, as mentioned above - give the hopper and disks a couple taps. It'll help settle and fill the disks.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    I believe a lot depends on the powder too. I use Universal clays and get an inconsistent measure, while my friend uses Bullseye and has good luck with it.
    Right now I'm using Titegroup, soon to be HP-38 and WST

Quote Originally Posted by mjporreca View Post
    I get very good results from mine using Bullseye, Unique, and IMR 4064. I do a few things that I think helped.

First run at least a few loads before you start a batch, just fill a cartridge, weigh, dump back in, repeat.

Second I do tap the press when I get to the down stroke and again to fill the cavity on the up stroke. Once I'm in a rhythm it doesn't slow me down at all.

I agree there are better pressed and throwers out there that will fit into the lee, but I've been happy with mine for several years now.
    I do this every time I start loading some, I loaded about 50 last night and check every 10th one as I load and I got 3.3,3.5 and one was 2.8 when I was using the disk to make my loads 3.6. While it will still work at 3.3, the 2.8 is a far cry from 3.6.

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    The shape of the powder will often play a major part in inconsistent charges. Volumetric measuring is not the proper method for smokeless powder, so you will have issues. But some shapes like flake and rod will contribute even more to the problem.

Which powder are you using? Could you switch to another?

Also, as mentioned above - give the hopper and disks a couple taps. It'll help settle and fill the disks.
    I'm using Titegroup and have for years and have had some inconsistency but not this much.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

First: Because of the nature of ball powders, Titegroup should measure very consistently - it does for me in the LEE Autodisc, whether using the discs or the "micrometer-adjustable" insert.

Second: Be certain your disc is moving to the maximum position - this is the primary reason for low/variable charges. This will be regulated by the depth you have the powder-charging (through-the-expander) die set. If the empty case, in its upward travel, does not move the die-insert to its full distance, the powder measure will not operate to its full position either (and so will not dump all the powder charge correctly). Correct adjustment of the die is paramount to the correct operation of the measure.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Northampton County)

Just a note on Powders, I use HP 38 and it is really flaky. I only plan to use it when I load at my buddy's place. He has a nice Lyman electronic scale and powder dispenser set up. I have a lee perfect measure that I plan on using finer powder with.
    "The Earth is for the living." -Thomas Jefferson

(Lebanon County)

Static electricity can throw a wrench into the spokes too. Do you see powder clinging to the sides of your hopper or anywhere else? A quick wipe down of anything that comes into contact with your powder with an anti-static dryer sheet may help. With plastic powder hoppers/dispensers you can have a lot of static problems until you run a lot of powder through them. When you see the plastic being discolored by the powder it's finally getting "broken in" and will throw more consistent charges. My Lee powder measure was real inconsistent with flake and ball powders when it was new, stick powders weren't so bad. After running a LOT of powder through them (I have more than 1 Lee measure) I started getting VERY consistent charges. I'm real happy with my Lee measures but I had my doubts before they were properly 'initiated'.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Lehigh County)

If you try to meter a large flake powder such as 700X & Unique with a small cavity you will have problems. I have consistent loads with small flake such as Bullseye and ball powders like Win231. I made a powder baffle out of a piece of aluminum & now get good results with Red Dot. I have yet to try the baffle with Unique.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast