Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: ltcf question

Default ltcf question

i have a question regarding prohibtions i was convicted in 1998 of harassment in the second degree 240.26 Violation of the new york penal code. have since not been in trouble have boght and sold many fire arms since then in new york and pa. i have a nys security licence wich entailed background check full discloser was given fingerprinting and reference checks. i worked at various sites inclouding the new york state office building. i have had a background check run on me a few times in the past few years and it only shows the charge in the county i was charged and convicted of it does not show up any where else. my question will this hinder my ltcf and should i say anything about it. sorry for this post for being to long

Default Re: ltcf question

First off... do you have a NY license/permit to carry a concealed handgun (not the security license)?

You must have one to get a PA LTCF.

no i dont want to move to pa because the houses and taxes are a lot cheaper. and to add i spent the maxium amount of time wich was 15 days in jail because i did not have the 250.00 dollars for the fine. i applied for my pistol permit in the same county that i was arrested and convicted in but i was denied because i had to wait according to the judge 10 years from the date of conviction and i was tring to get in armed security for the pay increase i applied 6 years after conviction. right now i dont want to reapply and spend the 175 in my county because i am saving up for a down payment on a house iam thinking of moving around the sarye athens area

Quote Originally Posted by nysecurity View Post
    no i dont want to move to pa because the houses and taxes are a lot cheaper. and to add i spent the maxium amount of time wich was 15 days in jail because i did not have the 250.00 dollars for the fine. i applied for my pistol permit in the same county that i was arrested and convicted in but i was denied because i had to wait according to the judge 10 years from the date of conviction and i was tring to get in armed security for the pay increase i applied 6 years after conviction. right now i dont want to reapply and spend the 175 in my county because i am saving up for a down payment on a house iam thinking of moving around the sarye athens area

i will make it clearer i am moving to pa once i get my fiances set to get a home loan looking around sarye athens area in pa. i did apply for a pistol permit in 2004 in nys. the judge stated that he was dening the application and to reapply after it had been 10 years since my conviction and it would probably be approved. what i was convicted of was not a felony or misdemenor in nys it is a violation they explained it like a traffic ticket for not wearing a seat belt. i spent the maximum amount of time for this incindent wich was 15 days in jail or pay the 250 dollar fine. at the time i was unemployed and did not have the 250 so i spent 15 days in jail. right now with trying to get my finances togehter i dont want to spend the 175 to apply for the permit and then wait up to 2 years to get an answer i just want to move out of this dump of a state. i have had pics checks done since 2004 for buying a couple of shotguns and lever action rifle. i have also had the regular ncic check in ny state for buying an ar 15 and various other long guns plus the associated back ground checks for working at a state run building. i dont want to check no or yes on the ltcf appaliction once i become a resident in pa because it looks like pa and ny state have very different deffintions to this issuse.once again sorry for the length of this post but i have lurked around this site for the past couple of months and seems that a vast majority of you know your laws and regs really well.
    Last edited by nysecurity; June 2nd, 2011 at 03:31 AM.

(Jefferson County)

Once you move to PA, your NY conviction shouldn't be an issue.

Harassment in the second degree 240.26 is a "violation", which is about the equivalent of a summary offense in PA. It is not an equivalent of any law listed in PA's Subsection 6105 either.

Once you establish residency in PA, go get your PA driver's license(you have 15 days by law to do that). With your PA drivers license, go to the county sheriff's office in whichever county your end up in and apply.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

ok thanks for the info