Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Nothing of interest - encounter with Allentown PD

Last evening Im at the 'new' park that Allentown has created for disabled kids (thats another story, but essentially nothing that a disabled child can do there other than watch) and Im OC'ing. Its in the 80's and CC would be rather uncomfortable. I guess I ruffled some citizens ire as within minutes I was approached by APD. I saw this coming as a couple of other people very obviously pointed to my direction and thats when I told my wife "here comes the police, please let me do ALL the talking". Her only question was if I was ok carrying in a park.

The entire encounter lasted almost 20 minutes, and no, I didnt bother to record it. We basically struck up a conversation about the park facilities, the mess left behind from Mayfair, taxes, the proposed hockey facility.... the list goes on-and-on. Somewhere after 15 or so minutes he asked if I had a LICENSE for carrying my pistol (I was floored that he had the terminology dead-on, not a permit or something). I simply winked and said that I didn't need one as I wasn't concealing - he agreed and that was the end of it right there. I actually brought up that yes, I have several for reciprocity reasons and then we proceeded to chat about Act 235 and joining the reserves.

So anyway +1 to APD, this officer knew the law, didn't harass me in any way, was generally a good person, and overall a pleasure to speak with. Like I said in the title, really nothing of interest unless your interested in all the off-topic things other than carrying
    Last edited by /dev/null; June 2nd, 2011 at 12:09 AM. Reason: poor spelling

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Nothing of interest - encounter with Allentown PD

Did you happen to notice the people that pointed them in your direction as they left you? It would be interesting to know if they freaked out that you weren't being lead away in cuffs.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Cambria County)

Seems to be a lot "nothingness" about OCing going on lately.

http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-14...t-nothing.html
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mK2JYfZAmA When will America become America?

(Monroe County)

It's nice to hear about all these no problem encounters.

+1 to the APD

(Lancaster County)

I'd like to dedicate this one to you guys that nothing bad is happening to.

Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tootie View Post
    It's nice to hear about all these no problem encounters.

+1 to the APD
    I'll give my + 1 to True Crimson. It was his standing up to the APD and filing a successful lawsuit against them that got them properly trained in the non use of jack bootry against law abiding citizens legally carrying a firearm.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Did you happen to notice the people that pointed them in your direction as they left you? It would be interesting to know if they freaked out that you weren't being lead away in cuffs.
    I really wasn't paying them much attention. They were about 25 yards away and I was much more attentive to watching my son, keeping a general scan of the area, and enjoying a decent conversation. They probably figured I was a cop as well after all, we just stood around chewing the fat for quite some time.

(Indiana County)

Didn't the last Allentown encounter cost the city some eleven thousand dollars, plus attorney fees?

Money talks.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by /dev/null View Post
    Last evening Im at the 'new' park that Allentown has created for disabled kids (thats another story, but essentially nothing that a disabled child can do there other than watch) and Im OC'ing. Its in the 80's and CC would be rather uncomfortable. I guess I ruffled some citizens ire as within minutes I was approached by APD. I saw this coming as a couple of other people very obviously pointed to my direction and thats when I told my wife "here comes the police, please let me do ALL the talking". Her only question was if I was ok carrying in a park.

The entire encounter lasted almost 20 minutes, and no, I didnt bother to record it. We basically struck up a conversation about the park facilities, the mess left behind from Mayfair, taxes, the proposed hockey facility.... the list goes on-and-on. Somewhere after 15 or so minutes he asked if I had a LICENSE for carrying my pistol (I was floored that he had the terminology dead-on, not a permit or something). I simply winked and said that I didn't need one as I wasn't concealing - he agreed and that was the end of it right there. I actually brought up that yes, I have several for reciprocity reasons and then we proceeded to chat about Act 235 and joining the reserves.

So anyway +1 to APD, this officer knew the law, didn't harass me in any way, was generally a good person, and overall a pleasure to speak with. Like I said in the title, really nothing of interest unless your interested in all the off-topic things other than carrying
    What was the officers name? I served in the Army with a couple of the guys in APD.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

Quote Originally Posted by 1iarrowking View Post
    I'll give my + 1 to True Crimson. It was his standing up to the APD and filing a successful lawsuit against them that got them properly trained in the non use of jack bootry against law abiding citizens legally carrying a firearm.
    Good encounter Matt. And as Ken writes here, we owe a lot to Jerry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast