Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default G27 or Cut Down G23?

Im debating whether or not to go with a G27, or get another G23 and cut it down to G27 mag size (from Bowie Tactical). I already have a G23, and G35, so i've pretty much standardized on the .40 glock platform. Was looking for something with a shorter "butt" that would be easier to conceal, but not thrilled about the shorter barrel. I love my S&W Compact ES 1911 (comander slide on officer frame) and was thinking the bowie tactical route might be the same concept, but just in tupperware. Any thoughts?

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: G27 or Cut Down G23?

I love this setup. I have a Kahr with a chopped butt, and am probably gonna get another. I've also thought about doing it with a Glock 19 for a long time.

You retain all the advantages and only slightly decrease capacity. (But you can carry 15 round reloads in G22 mags.)

If you shoot well with a subcompact grip it's a great idea. Some people don't. At this point I almost prefer it because it's mostly what I shoot. It really does make a difference in concealability too.

If you can afford the wait and the hit to your wallet Bowie does awesome work. If not there are DIY solutions, but most people aren't comfortable cutting up a perfectly good gun.

I say go for it. If concealment is important a subcompact grip really does help.

You're best bet is to try a 27 and see if it works though. It would be cheaper. Custom guns are cooler though.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Chester County)

I have a Gen 3 G19 RTF2, I carry it every day. But sometimes I'd like something that didn't grab a polo as much, and didn't poke up as much, and keep thinking about getting a second 19, with the regular finish, and get it chopped to take g26 mags.

It can still take 17 and 33 round mags.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MTechnik View Post
    I have a Gen 3 G19 RTF2, I carry it every day. But sometimes I'd like something that didn't grab a polo as much, and didn't poke up as much
    Or act like a cheese grator against my skin ... I have the G23 RTF2... haha, I know exactly what your talking about. I find myself "fluffing" my cover garment to keep it from sticking.

I just took a look at the lead times from Bowie Tactical and we are talking 4 month turnaround. I enjoy shooting way too much to wait 4 months for a carry gun to come back that may have just made up my mind for the G27.
    Last edited by 45ACP_4_ME; May 31st, 2011 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Because I never enjoyed code

(Washington County)

Personally, I am not a fan of any type of modifications, be it grip reductions, shortening grips, etc. Take a long hard look at the ballistics from the 23 to the 27.. You will likely find that there is not enough difference to make it any better than just getting a 27. Don't get me wrong, if you are set on it, go for it.. to each their own as they say, but if you truly want to maximize barrel length, why not get a 22 and do the reduction on a full length gun..

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by 45ACP_4_ME View Post
    Im debating whether or not to go with a G27, or get another G23 and cut it down to G27 mag size (from Bowie Tactical). I already have a G23, and G35, so i've pretty much standardized on the .40 glock platform. Was looking for something with a shorter "butt" that would be easier to conceal, but not thrilled about the shorter barrel. I love my S&W Compact ES 1911 (comander slide on officer frame) and was thinking the bowie tactical route might be the same concept, but just in tupperware. Any thoughts?
    - Certified Glock Armorer, Μολὼν λαβέ

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by 45ACP_4_ME View Post
    Or act like a cheese grator against my skin ... I have the G23 RTF2... haha, I know exactly what your talking about. I find myself "fluffing" my cover garment to keep it from sticking.

I just took a look at the lead times from Bowie Tactical and we are talking 4 month turnaround. I enjoy shooting way too much to wait 4 months for a carry gun to come back that may have just made up my mind for the G27.
    Every time I stand up from a chair, I shirt fluff.

Damn, I'm a fluffer?!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MTechnik View Post
    Every time I stand up from a chair, I shirt fluff.

Damn, I'm a fluffer?!
    .... mother-fluffer....

My wife sometimes tells me to go fluff myself... But it's just cause it's printing...

Are there other companies that do "short grip" modifications?

(Montgomery County)

I own both the G23 and the G27 both 4th gen. I love them because they are light and they can easily be concealled. I take the G27 out when I wear a pair of shorts and a t-shirt or at work with dress slacks, shirt and tie in a pocket holster or a shirt holster. The G23 when I have a little more room for conceallment. I would do other mods like maybe night sights or a trigger job, or just invest in a good non production holster. Both guns are capable of great accuracy at great distances. I saw videos on youtube of people shooting them as far out as 500 yds and hitting targets with the G23 and out to about 300 yds with the G27. The guns are capable, are you? honestly if you need to fight someone at those distances you need a rifle or even the air force. You have the quality, you have the accuracy, you have the caliber reliability, the only thing you need is training. If you have that also then you are set. Save the money for more bullets of even another gun. Maybe a SIG?????
    E FLUCTIBUS IRRUIT IN HOSTEM. AECIDAE TELO IACET LIBATIS.

(Monroe County)

Hopefully you will not be carrying this gun for personal defense, ? I am against butchering and creating a Franken gun that will probably be used to save my life, if you do then just get a G27.

Does the tooling , time and materials needed to create this monster justify the cost in price, reliability and durability?

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by dmcdonnell View Post
    Personally, I am not a fan of any type of modifications, be it grip reductions, shortening grips, etc. Take a long hard look at the ballistics from the 23 to the 27.. You will likely find that there is not enough difference to make it any better than just getting a 27. Don't get me wrong, if you are set on it, go for it.. to each their own as they say, but if you truly want to maximize barrel length, why not get a 22 and do the reduction on a full length gun..

Dave
    It's not necessarily about ballistics. Sight radius, longer barrel for accuracy's sake, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    Hopefully you will not be carrying this gun for personal defense, ? I am against butchering and creating a Franken gun that will probably be used to save my life, if you do then just get a G27.

Does the tooling , time and materials needed to create this monster justify the cost in price, reliability and durability?
    Why else would some one do this other than for a carry gun? Think...

This modification has no effect on reliability or durability.

Good Lord, why is this so difficult to understand?

Just because a concept is new or foreign to you doesn't mean it's wrong... Sheesh.

It's a matter of opinion people. The OP isn't doing this to your Glock...
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast