Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Reading area outdoor range (public)

Anyone have a list of the outdoor public ranges in the Reading area (pistol & rifle)? I am looking to go this weekend with my brother who is coming to visit. I have searched the internet and find many that are private.
    I am looking to travel no more that 15 miles, if possible. Thanks!

(Berks County)

Default Re: Reading area outdoor range (public)

No such a thing as a public range.

(Berks County)

Are there any state game lands in the area that are set up as public ranges?

Anybody know which game lands hunters use in this area to sight in their rifles?

French Creek is more than 15 minutes away.

(Berks County)

i know of no public ranges, but there are many outdoor clubs that do require membership but most are quite low.....i belong to fleetwood fish and game which is 20 min from me but the price is right....15 bucks for the year and i didnt need any sponcer or to attend any meetings......from muhlenburg its prolly only like 10 15 minutes away

(Berks County)

Default Public Shooting Ranges - Not "Free" anymore.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=620410&mode=2

http://www.huntingpa.com/sgl.html

According to PGC website, the only Public Shooting Range in Berks County is SGL 106, just North of Cabela's and Hamburg. SGL #106 is just South of Eckville on Pine Swamp Road. Pine Swamp Road is just off of Hawk Mountain Road. The range is 100 yard only.

From Eckville (located along road from Drehersville to Albany) take Pine Swamp Rd South (dirt road) follow about 1-1/2 miles, cross over little bridge then watch for road on left leading to range. Rte #78 East of Hamburg, take the Lenhartsville exit, Rt #143, go north approx. 4 miles to Hawk Mountain Rd, turn left on Hawk Mountain Rd, go approx. 3 miles turn left on Pine Swamp Rd.

"French Creek", which is SGL 43 in Chester County near Warwick Twp, is probably closer. It's located near RT 23 (Ridge Road) & RT 345 (Pine Swamp Road, once again) The range is 50 and 100 yard only.

From Rt #23 in Warwick drive North on Rt #345 about 100 yards, then turn left on Laurel Rd continue about 1-1/2 miles, range on right. go approx. 3 miles turn left on Pine Swamp Rd.

I suggest that you call 1-877-877-9470 during normal business hours before you plan to go.

I have never been to these PUBLIC ranges. It's not worth the safety risk to me, and some of the magazine capacity rules are quite restrictive. Also, shooting pistols at 50 or 100 yards is not my strong suit.

FYI, they also are no longer "Free", unless you already have a current hunting license. See below.

"Beginning April 1, 2011, those who shoot firearms at one of the Pennsylvania Game Commission’s State Game Lands public shooting ranges must possess and carry with them either an annual $30 range use permit or a current general hunting or furtaker license. Individuals without a range use permit or hunting or furtaker license may be fined.

For your shooting enjoyment and to make you a better hunter, the Game Commission maintains numerous public shooting ranges across the state.

Unless otherwise posted, these ranges are open year-round, from 8 a.m. until sunset, Monday through Saturday, and noon to sunset on Sundays. And with stable benches, large backstops and well maintained grounds, they're great places to sight-in your rifles, test ammunition and hone your shooting skills.

Especially prior to the bear and deer seasons and on weekends, these ranges can be busy places. Users should review and follow the posted regulations, and be considerate of others, too. Of course, all rules of safety need to be followed, and by all means wear proper eye and ear protection. Also, anyone under 16 must be accompanied by someone 18 or older.

Users should also practice good shooting etiquette. The regulation, for example, that limits a shooter to having no more than three rounds in a rifle (six in a handgun) may not seem to make much sense.

What it does, though, is give shooters a chance to check their targets without having to wait for those who may want to shoot long strings. This same regulation prohibits people using firearms with large capacity magazines from monopolizing time on the range, and also causing inordinate damage, particularly to backstops.

The Game Commission has completed lead remediation and safety upgrade projects at all public shooting ranges. However, routine maintenance at these ranges will require closing them for several hours every month. This routine maintenance includes rebuilding target-line stations, cutting grass and other clean-up activities that vary depending on range use. Please contact the appropriate agency Region Office to check the daily status of the range(s) you wish to visit.

Shooters also should show consideration for others waiting for an open bench. It's not uncommon, especially leading up to the bear and deer seasons, to find an adult teaching a youngster how to shoot, or to find someone having difficulty sighting-in a rifle. Show some patience in such circumstances, and if it seems appropriate, offer some assistance.

Groups may reserve ranges from January 1 through October 1 by calling the region office at least 20 days in advance. The range is closed to individuals when it is reserved, and signs may be posted at other times indicating a closed range.

More than $200,000 is spent annually on shooting range maintenance. So providing this service is not cheap. To help keep maintenance costs down, which will allow these funds to be diverted to other projects and programs, there are some things we, as users, should do:

First, don't shoot up the framework used to hold the backstop material. Second, clean up your spent cases, remove targets from backstops, keep shooting benches clean and dispose of all other litter.

Offering shooting ranges is a valuable service the Game Commission provides. Use them, take care of them, and by all means, enjoy them. After all, they're provided for your shooting enjoyment."
    Last edited by xotech; June 3rd, 2011 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Directions

(Berks County)

Muhlenberg Area Shooting Association is just off river road.
    www.muhlshooting.org

Its 10/yr if you live in Muhlenberg, Laureldale, or Temple. 15/yr anywhere else.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

(Berks County)

I was a member of the Muhlenburg (MASA) range and it is a nice range, however my only gripe is that local PD's have taken over and the membership that pay the bills and do all the work and repairs to the range are put on the back burner as PD's have priority (scheduled or not). You have to plan your shooting outings (including weekends) around their schedule and don't be surprised if after you get their and set up that a PD shows up and kicks you out. If that doesn't bother you, then this is a nice place to hang your hat for an afternoon.

(Berks County)

You are correct about MASA.

That thread is 2 years old.

Welcome to this site.

(Berks County)

i think the public ranges require a valid hunting license if I'm not mistaken. The range off of 345 is heavily patroled by the State Plice and they check for the licenses.