Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default Re: Buying a used gun: Yay or Nay

I bought 4 new guns and got rid of 2 of them, lost money on both. The others I bought used and have no regrets, they're worth what I paid or more. I'll probably never buy another new gun and I know I'll never buy a new car. Let someone else take the depreciation hit in return for a few minor blemishes, it's more than a fair trade.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Philadelphia County)

It depends on the purpose. I don't hesitate to buy range guns used - and I got my favorite range shooter that way. I would be a little hesitant to do the same for a defense gun unless I knew something about the history or the gun was clearly nearly new.

There are good deals to be had, that's for sure. And it's fun to look. Just take your time, and be careful. Don't buy a dirty gun (I learned that the hard way). Do look for damage and clues as to how the gun has been treated.

(Delaware County)

never had issues with my used firearm purchases.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

All but a few of my used guns buying has been positive results for near a 1/4 of the cost of new most time. As long as you know how to inspect a gun and stay with a GOOD brand name gun you will be Ok most times. I have bought used Berettas, Glocks, Colt revolvers and off brand a SAM nearly customized 1911 (because I knew what to look for and I"ve come out great) so more then off brand genric. Yay you can get some Great deals.

The vast majority of guns I have purchased have been used. A lot of them are guns that are not made anymore. Almost all of them have had little to no wear. The best deals have been "used, never fired".

(Allegheny County)

Thumbs up Re: Buying a used gun: Yay or Nay

Quote Originally Posted by nickdigginz View Post
    Is this a bad idea?
    Buy from reputable people or dealers, and you'll be fine. I've never had a problem with any I've bought, including PAFOA members.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    The vast majority of guns I have purchased have been used. A lot of them are guns that are not made anymore. Almost all of them have had little to no wear. The best deals have been "used, never fired".

Same here. I seldom buy a new gun; most are "previously owned" and may or may not have been fired. The last new gun I bought was a RIA 1911 in 9mm, that was in Feb of this year and I can't recall buying a new-in-box firearm as a "first owner" in all of 2010.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Montgomery County)

If it's your first gun, and you have little or no experience buying guns:

I'd buy new, or bring an experienced used gun buyer with you. It would be a shame to be disappointed and/or soured on the entire idea of gun purchasing, because of a bad decision made on a used gun (again, as your first gun). I'd also add that there are some specific things to look at, that vary between revolvers and semi-autos, so again, if you're not sure, take someone with you that is familiar with the gun(s) you're looking at:

IMO, if you're buying a used gun that's got after-market parts in it (best example is probably a Glock w/an after-market barrel, trigger connector, spring, etc), try to get the original parts with it. Original Glock barrels aren't priced in the stratosphere, but they're not cheap either. I prefer my Glocks to be factory original, and I'd prefer not to buy parts for a gun I just bought.

Otherwise, if you know what you're looking at, there' no better way to buy a gun. You'll get it for less, and if you ultimately trade it, you'll take less of a "hit" on the deal. Unless it's "used/unfired", it's already broken in, and in many cases, you can find some amazing deals on used guns that are in great shape.

Oh, and buy from a trusted shop/person.
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Westmoreland County)

I bought my 239 used (new never shot) and have had zero issues with it. The 238 I bought new A: because new is new and I like having the ability to keep it new as long as possible rather than getting one used with a few nicks on it, B: because good luck finding an "A27XXXXX" (or is it 27A?) serial coded 238 used right now lol
    S&W M&P40c, Sig P238 SAS-.380, Ruger mkIII .22, Thinking about a new sig 938.....

Just educate yourself about the gun you are looking to buy and you'll be fine.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast