Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Rifle Needs Bedding

I installed a new Howa rifled action in a new Boyds laminate stock thinking that I would have a accurate shooting rifle. Whew Boy!!!!!!!! Everytime I think I know what I am doing I get fouled up big time. Needless to say the groups are huge. I mean 5" at 65 yds. Where can I get this gun bedded?
    should I get pillar or glass or both? How much is the going rate? I hear that the job is not that hard to do but at this point I just want to shoot. Any help?
    Flintlocks Rock!

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Rifle Needs Bedding

There are some companies on line that will do them. I was looking into it a while back when I was going to build up one of my rifles. It isn't a terribly difficult job, but time consuming and detail oriented. You have to pay attention to what you are doing at all times. Too much material here, not enough here and the job is fouled up.

I would find a reputable smith and send it out to have it done. I know it can get costly. I think and do NOT quote me on this but a bedding job by a pro smith will run you at least $100...Depending on what you want also it may be more.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

How do you know that your groups are caused by the stock not being bedded?

As I always state...if you are having accuracy issues...start with looking at your base and rings. Did you use a torque wrench to ensure that you used the proper torque on this screws?

What kind of scope do you have...what type of ammo are you using and what is the weight of the bullets...what caliber rifle? There are tons of variables that could be making your rifle shoot that poorly. I highly doubt that it's the lack of bedding that is causing your issues.

Bedding a rifle won't hurt your rifle, but it might not be the only reason why you are shooting poor groups.

(Pike County)

What was the performance of the action, rings, scope, ammo etc. before you installed it in the new stock? If you don't know, I'd start there. Do you still have the factory stock?

If the rifle was performing well before the swap (or if it does so after you go back to the factory stock, if available) I can recommend Jamie D. at Wolf Precision. He did a great job bedding a custom Savage action for me in an aftermarket stock, and his prices are very reasonable.

http://www.wolfprecision.net/8901.html

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    How do you know that your groups are caused by the stock not being bedded?

As I always state...if you are having accuracy issues...start with looking at your base and rings. Did you use a torque wrench to ensure that you used the proper torque on this screws?

What kind of scope do you have...what type of ammo are you using and what is the weight of the bullets...what caliber rifle? There are tons of variables that could be making your rifle shoot that poorly. I highly doubt that it's the lack of bedding that is causing your issues.

Bedding a rifle won't hurt your rifle, but it might not be the only reason why you are shooting poor groups.

(Susquehanna County)

I purchased the barreled action new without a stock. The cal is a 6.55 Swed.
    I have weaver base and rings and I tried two scopes: Nikon Monarch and a Vortex Crossfire, both with the same results. I have no idea of the tourque settings. I called Howa/Leagcy and they said that I am not useing one of their stocks so good luck you're on your own.
    Flintlocks Rock!

(Erie County)

Are you shooting from a rest? If so make sure you are not resting the barrel itself on the rest. Try to rest and hold the rifle exactly the same way every shot. This may sound elementary but I don't know your experience level. You won't get a good group resting on the barrel. Are you flinching? Wind? Make sure your mounts, rings and action screws are all torqued properly.

(Susquehanna County)

Thanks for your concern but I have been shooting for 40 some odd years and I shoot military rifles and many hand guns. I can hold my own shooting in matches with custom flintlocks. I have a good understanding of barrel harmonics and repeatability to get accurate groups. This is the first time that I purchased a barreled action and a new stock so I need advice on how to mate them up properly.
    Thanks
    Flintlocks Rock!

(Allegheny County)

I did the same a couple years ago, 6.5 Swede and a Boyds stock. The stock was so big the action moved 1/4 inch right to left in the stock. I bedded the action and that helped but I called Howa and asked why I could not get groups any where near my CZ and Remmington rifles. They told me they were having problems with the 6.5 x 55 head space from the factory. They said send them the rifle and I could have a relpacement in any caliber I wanted (but not 6.5 x 55). It took almost a year to get the replacement. The best groups I got ( between 1 and 2 inchs at 100 yards) were when I loaded a 140 grain boat tail out farther than would fit in the magazine well and still not touching the lands. I had four good shooters try the rifle for over a year and I could not give it away because nobody could get it to group.

I mean off a bench with a Lead Sled, sand bags, calm wind, sunny, cloudy, IMR 4350, Varget, don't remember all the powders I tried, 120 to 140 grain Sierra - Hornady - Nosler bullets, several shooters - nothing seemed to work.

I bought a Rem Model 7 in 7-08 and never looked back. From my experence IMHO run, don't walk from the Howa in 6.5x55.
    Last edited by Mush; May 29th, 2011 at 05:02 AM.

(Susquehanna County)

Exclamation Re: Rifle Needs Bedding

Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    From my experence IMHO run, don't walk from the Howa in 6.5x55.
    Wow, not what I wanted to hear.
    Flintlocks Rock!

(Cumberland County)

Doing it yourself is a piece of cake. I've done all my rifles and a few for friends and relatives. Get Richard Franklin's DVD on bedding rifles. He covers everything you need to know and one of his examples was done pretty much using hand tools.

Fitch

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast