Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default How to: A RELIABLE Ruger LCP +1 mag kit

So you want a +1 mag extension for your LCP, but you don't know who to turn to?

Let me help....

There is a kit from a company called Impact guns that consists of an extended magazine base that will accomodate an extra round. But there are a few problems with it. First, it's ill fitting. Second, it doesn't come with an extended mag spring, which leaves far too little spring tension for reliable feeding.

So, what to do? Well, Kel Tec also sells a +1 mag kit for their P3AT pistol, which the Ruger is a close copy of. The Kel Tec base doesn't fit right on Ruger mags, but rejoice, for the Kel Tec kit does come with a longer extended mag spring.

So...take the extended base of the Impact gun kit, and the spring from the P3AT kit, and you have a perfectly functional 7rd LCP mag that gives you a bit of extra grip purchase as well.

Pictures.

Impact gun base:

P3AT +1 kit:

Installed on a LCP, after doing some trimming/contouring on the Impact guns base with a dremel tool:

I test fired it the other day with FMJ, Fed Hydrashoks, Magtech First Defense JHP, Buffalo Bore HCFNL+P, and Corbon JHP. No malfunctions of any kind after nearly 100rds.

Happy shooting!

Default Re: How to: A RELIABLE Ruger LCP +1 mag kit

I blasted off another 25rds of Corbon DPX from it today.

Function is 100%.

(Allegheny County)

How much do you have in that to make it work? Initially I thought about getting one, but then if you have to buy the KT mag base & spring to get it to actually work... I'm not interested I don't think. Being that the LCP is pretty much a last ditch option for me. It better effing work. And while I'm not afraid of modding guns, at ALL... I'm not so sure this one passes my common sense test.

I think it probably costs more than just buying another factory magazine, which I could just throw in a pocket and have another 6 rounds... and, chances are... would probably work.

Like I said, I'm not one to get my panties in a twist about doing "anything" to a carry gun. But something that effects reliability, and costs more than a normal magazine... for 1 extra round. I just don't know? Although it is promising to see you are having good reliability with it so far. And I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us.

Did you try stretching the factory spring a little, and what was your experience with the IG mag base before you changed the spring out?

Can you also go into greater detail about what you trimmed / re-contoured with a dremel? (And why)
    My dremel-fu is strong. But I am curious what area of the part was the problem.
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; May 29th, 2011 at 04:22 PM.

(Blair County)

I'm more interested in this for the grip extension than for the one extra round. This extension makes it seem like I could get TWO whole fingers on the grip, perhaps making this thing more of a shooter for me. Interesting.

How much $ do you have into this?

It costs under $20 per mag to make the modification. I did two of them.

The mod allows for the 2nd finger to fit on the grip properly and does make the gun more controllable vs a flat magazine.

The mod does not work reliably without the longer spring from the KT +1 kit, using just the impact guns base. There is just not enough spring tension to ensure reliable feeding.

The trimming just involves removing the rear part of the Impact guns baseplate. (Check out the pix in first post)
    Last edited by Valorius; May 29th, 2011 at 06:50 PM.