Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Washington County)

Default Looking for suggestions.

So I have a Beretta 96 D, and I'm looking for ideas that will help make it better. Probably not the best of all possible pistols, seeing as how it is about 13 years old, used to be a cop gun, got beat to hell, and all that jazz. However, I'm looking for any ideas that anybody might have on attachments or upgrades I could put on it or do with it to make it a little more enjoyable. I'd like to keep it as my conceal gun, but make it more fun to shoot at the range too.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

(Elk County)

Default Re: Looking for suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandpaMcGridley View Post
    So I have a Beretta 96 D . . . it is about 13 years old, used to be a cop gun, got beat to hell . . .

I have a 96D Centurion that fits that description to a "T" and I've never thought of it as "probably not the best of all possible pistols." I've only been into double-action-only handguns for the past year, and I've been shooting since the early '60s. The very things you mention above are what I like about my 96D Centurion -- it's been around the block, and because it has some "character" marks in the finish I like it as a carry piece; it doesn't have to be babied because I just had it sent away for a $150-$300 worth of cosmetic work that just makes it look nicer but didn't improve accuracy one bit. But that's me.

I'd suggest that you pin down what it is that defines the term "better" for you. What any of here defines as "better" is strictly 100% subjective on an individual basis. Someone's "better" might mean a $300 finish job. It's not my idea of "better."

As far as attachments, there's no rail on the gun so any attachments will be bolt-ons or you'll need gunsmithing to have a aftermarket rail installed. Personally, hanging attachments on a gun in my opinion does NOT make the gun more enjoyable to shoot. But that's me.

The very first accessory you can purchase to improve shooting experience is a set of grips that best fit your hands. You can choose from wood, plastic, rubber, aluminum (COLD in winter!), micarta, carbon fiber. Then choose between smooth or checkered, or some other texturing, and if you want thumbrests, finger grooves, or not. Just Google "Beretta 92/96 grips" or check out Hogue, Pachmayr, Alumagrips, etc. Spend some time at Beretta Forum; lots of owners post pics of their guns and grips, and the Classifieds there are a good place to pick up grips and accessories. If the gun better fits your hand, you will shoot better and enjoy shooting it more.

If cosmetics bother you, buy a bottle or tube of Birchwood Casey "Alumablack" and FOLLOWING DIRECTIONS EXACTLY you can darken the spots where the black anodizing has worn. Alumablack will even "touch up" the worn spots in the steel slide. It won't make it perfect, and it won't fill in scratches, but it will darken light spots and make them less noticeable.

HTH,

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandpaMcGridley View Post
    So I have a Beretta 96 D, ... I'd like to keep it as my conceal gun...
    Curious, what kind of holster do you use to conceal carry it?

(Washington County)

The holster I use is a standard black leather 96 molded holster. It keeps it slim to my hip and is pretty easy to tuck behind a t-shirt. If I'm at some kind of black tie affair, however, I have an Uncle Mike's vertical shoulder holster that keeps it well hidden under my blazer, the only problem with that is that if I need it, I have to cross draw, I'm not a big fan of that because then you suffer the consequences of pointing a gun at everyone in front of you, including your target.

About the only "upgrade" I can think of would be night sights but being an ex LE gun it probably already has those. You could get some more magazines for it so you have more shooting time at the range instead of having to load mags all the time.

(Lancaster County)

You didnt mention if the gun was accurate. Forget all the bells and whistles, if a gun is accurate it should be a blast to shoot. Train with it until you can hit everything you point it at. Then go to the range, stand in between a guy with a 1300 dollar 1911 and a guy with a red dot equipped customized Ruger Mark 2 and outshoot both of them with your 350 dollar police trade in. Nothing you can add to the gun will make shooting more enjoyable than that.