Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default College friend deleted me from Facebook due to gun rights discussion

She made a status update about how Philly wasn't in the top 10 most dangerous cities anymore, which was surprising to her due to all of the recent gun violence. Then she said that something needs to be done concerning the the "ease of access" to firearms in PA.

I replied that they should just make murder illegal... and that's when the ball got rolling. I don't even know why I said anything because this is the same girl who once told me that cops shouldn't have guns.

We had a huge debate back and forth on her status update until she finally deleted it.

Then it moved on to the private messaging:

Her: you're also saying that no legal gun owners commit crime

Me: legal gun owners actually only count for 1% of violent crimes or something like that.

Her: i'd beg to differ with that statistics

Me: here in PA, generally, to legally acquire a gun,, you need to pass a background check, and to carry a gun you need to pass another one, plus they look at your character. if you go through those loop holes to carry a gun, i'd imagine that you're not a criminal.

Her: concerning your "statistics," the fbi also says that black people are more likely to commit crime and that's why our jails are mostly black men, not because of police and judicial bias

Me: I don't get what that has to do with the topic at hand.

Her: My friend was discharged from the navy with antisocial and bipolar tendencies, and threated to blow up the school through all of middle and high school....he still was able to get a gun and permit

Me: Well, there was something wrong there. That bomb threat should have showed up on his criminal history.

Her: well it didn't, and he's definitely not the only person i know that isn't all there and has a legally aquired gun

Her: the kid from Virginia Tech shot it up with at least one legally acquired gun

Me: if he was dead set on shooting up that school, he would have found a way to get the necessary tools, legally or not. plus there was documented proof that he was mentally unstable and no one did anything about it.

Her: several high school shootings happen with legally acquired guns and i think mental stability is a relative term

Me: it is relative and a is a slippery slope, i agree with you there.

Her: i wouldn't exactly call Chris 100% mentally stable

Her: or at least i wouldn't put violence past him... but i could say that about many people

Me: ive never seen him act violent... even in his drunkest of moments - and ive known him since middle school.

Her: are you kidding?

Me: hes never hit or assaulted someone

Her: i would consider him a little aggressive and while i dont think he will ever hurt someone violently, i wouldn't rule out the possibility under extreme circumstances or during a mental lapse

Her: and it's hard to garentee that anyone is immune from "temporary loss of sanity"

Me: so because anyone at any given time could have a temporary loss of sanity, they shouldnt be able to own a gun?

Her: no. but there are many killers that have never acted out violently, whose friends and families say they would never hurt a fly

Her: next thing you know, they killed someone

Me: ok, i understand that and i agree human nature is sometimes unpredictable... but that's a pretty weak argument.

Her: but that's not my main argument for gun control

Me: but id like to be able to protect myself against someone who does randomly decide to go on a shooting spree.

Her: while i definitely dont agree with guns, i know they'll never be illegalized, but it's far too easy to get a gun and that leads to other people illegally getting guns

Her: i can walk into your house and steal your gun in 5 min

Me: you could try

Her: if you put your gun down, or it's locked in a safe, if I break in and you come home from grocery shopping in your safe neighborhood and i'm already in your room, you may not be able to get your gun before i shoot you

Me: that's a pretty ridiculous scenario. besides, many criminals get guns through other means.

Her: really? i know plenty of people who have bought stolen weapons

Her: so you'd say that lower the amount of weapons owned, while cracking down on weapons being trafficked illegally wouldn't reduce gun violence? even if you block all arms trafficking, people would just steal them from legal gun owners, and legal gun owners would still be capable of crime

Me: it might, but at what cost? could you really feel good about yourself if the guy who has to turn in his glock because of some new law... and the next day he gets held up at gun point and shot for his wallet. because you took away his means to protect himself, a family is now fatherless.

Her: yes because we already established that many legal gun owners acquired their guns too easily

Me: what does that have to do with my scenerio

Her: that's an isolated incident

Me: not really. there are thousands of documented incidents of legal gun owners protecting themselves.

Her: that would be the same as me saying could you sleep at night knowing that kid from VA tech or that guy who blew his wife's brains out had a gun?

Her: because there are thousands of those too

Me: well if VA tech allowed their students to carry on campus, someone might have taken him out before he killed 33 ppol

Her: so now all people should carry guns if they want to be safe?

Me: uh yes. that's the whole point of my argument.

Her: wow.

Her: yea, this converstation is over because i'm now convinced that you must be crazy

Me: lolol
    At this point she deleted me from her friends list.

If she wasn't so hot and didn't occasionally get freaky with my GF and I, I would have thought nothing of it. So I messaged her and apologized. She said she'll add me back once she "cools off." LOL

(Delaware County)

Default Re: College friend deleted me from Facebook due to gun rights discussion

Are you aware of the % that Law-Abiding, lawful gun owners commit crime?

0%

(Montgomery County)

Thumbs down Re: College friend deleted me from Facebook due to gun rights discussion

Quote Originally Posted by uniballin View Post
    If she wasn't so hot and didn't occasionally get freaky with my GF and I, I would have thought nothing of it. So I messaged her and apologized. She said she'll add me back once she "cools off." LOL
    So, because she joins you in a threesome, you apologized for no reason?

I'm not sure who's kookier: you or her.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: College friend deleted me from Facebook due to gun rights discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Yentl Marmelstein View Post

I'm not going to ruin a good thing over something so silly.

(Lehigh County)

If she really knows "plenty of people who have bought stolen weapons", and hasn't reported those incidents, then she's the irresponsible one.

Oh, and there aren't just thousands of self-defense cases with firearms, there are MILLIONS.

The Department of Justice has previously pegged the number of defensive gun uses at about 1.5 million per year. Other researchers have all pegged the number of defensive uses as extremely higher than the number of criminal uses.

I bet she would "beg to differ" with those sources too though.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yentl Marmelstein View Post

^^^^^^...
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Allegheny County)

Red face Re: College friend deleted me from Facebook due to gun rights discussion

She's an idiot, and what are YOU doing on Fazebook? Isn't that a site for 13 year olds, pretending to be 26, or something?

(Northampton County)

Or 26 year olds pretending to be 13.

(Venango County)

In her scenario where she is burgling your house of your firearms, you should have mentioned that when you come home with the groceries you would have shot her with your legally carried firearm. No need to fetch anything.

She would be stopped in her tracks, both figuratively and literally!
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Allegheny County)

about 1000 years ago when i was in college i dated a girl who claimed to be not anit gun but saw no reaosn that we should shoot to kill. she said that he always practiced to shoot the hands of the police targets at the range. i pointed out that she was an idiot because the hands wouldnt always be where she expected. she never went out with me again.

liberals dont like it when you point out the holes in their logic.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast