Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Competition Gun for USPSA/Steel recommendation

I'm looking to get more involved in the USPSA matches. I've been doing IDPA, USPSA and the steel challenge matches and love them. I've like to get more competitive and have better equipment.

I currently use a glock 21SF for the matches and it is also my carry gun. I would like to get some type of 9mm since the rounds will be a bit cheaper and hopefully the gun easier to handle vs the 45. Price of the gun is not a huge concern, it would just determine how quickly I shop or need to save up longer. But would love to get an entry level type gun that I could build upon/upgrade.. I heard of some race guns where the magazines alone cost like 200$.. I don't think I wanna be at that level..

I was told to maybe try for the Limited class? But from quickly going over the class descriptions, once I put some type of optics on it, I will be in the Open classes.

So I guess, looking for a gun that would prob be Production class initially, but something I could easily build upon.

The only gun I know about/ considered was the Glock 34. I have no brand loyalty though.. Just looking for some ideas of what to look for.

Thanks.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Competition Gun for USPSA/Steel recommendation

The glock 34 was specifically built for competitions such as Idpa. I don't think you would go wrong with it especially since your already familiar with the platform. It's a great shooter and will serve you well. I prefer a green hy-viz fiber optic sight over the factory one. Other then that she is comp ready right out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Pkspawn View Post
    I'm looking to get more involved in the USPSA matches. I've been doing IDPA, USPSA and the steel challenge matches and love them. I've like to get more competitive and have better equipment.

I currently use a glock 21SF for the matches and it is also my carry gun. I would like to get some type of 9mm since the rounds will be a bit cheaper and hopefully the gun easier to handle vs the 45. Price of the gun is not a huge concern, it would just determine how quickly I shop or need to save up longer. But would love to get an entry level type gun that I could build upon/upgrade.. I heard of some race guns where the magazines alone cost like 200$.. I don't think I wanna be at that level..

I was told to maybe try for the Limited class? But from quickly going over the class descriptions, once I put some type of optics on it, I will be in the Open classes.

So I guess, looking for a gun that would prob be Production class initially, but something I could easily build upon.

The only gun I know about/ considered was the Glock 34. I have no brand loyalty though.. Just looking for some ideas of what to look for.

Thanks.
    If you like the glock then the 34 might not be a bad choice for you. My buddy just purchased an XD 5" 9mm, and I love it. I may buy one too. I also shoot USPSA and it will probably replace the guns I was using previously.

You can stat in the production class and go from there. XD or the glock shouldn't set you back more than 600 OTD either.

(Chester County)

Glock 34 with 5 mags
    Bladetech Drop & offset holster
    Mag pouch carrier (you pick)
    Warren Tactical Sevigny Rear sight
    Dawson Precision Fiber optic front sight (the narrow front sight, there are two)
    3.5 lb ghost rocket connector

That's my setup for USPSA & Steel. I don't know IDPA, so your mileage may vary.

The M&P Pro is worth looking at, but since you are familiar with the Glock, you might want to stay with that platform.

Also, don't forget there is a perfectly fine revolver division in USPSA and for steel, you only really need 5 shots anyways.

I'd go with one of the STI 2011 frame. Or just a nice 1911.

(Lawrence County)

G34, STI 2011 in .40 with short dustcover and bushed barrel, or Para P16. Those three guns will cross over the most Divisions and be competitive.

LycanusesG35andSTI2011thrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Pike County)

I would use a Glock 35 bc of the .40 cal points difference over 9mm AFTER the production class., such as Limited 10, etc.
    Im shopping for a G35_Gen4 now myself!

(Erie County)

i was in your position about a 2 months ago. I had never shot competitively but wanted to get into USPSA shooting. I decided to go with an open gun, and what you where told is correct about open guns. Things as simple as mags run into the 100-200 range.
    Unfortunately without spending a substantial amount of cash you probably will not be able to compete in open or limited with great results. Limited is about the same as open with two differences (no optic, no compensator). The typical limited gun is an STI 2011 with 170mm mag in .40 cal. In order to make major in limited class you must shoot at LEAST .40 cal.
    I dont want to say that the glock will not be able to compete at this level, because it can in the hands of the correct shooter. However most people will have more rounds in the mag, mag wells, and most importantly a single action trigger.
    Your best option as I see it would be to shoot Single stack (get a 9mm 1911 cheap and you can practice till your hearts content) or shoot production class. The glock will be much better placed and shoot more evenly with the production class guns. The only downside is that you are limited to 10 rnds in the mag for production class. So you will need at LEAST 4 mags with mag pouches, and a concealable pistol holster. Also in production everyone is scored the same regardless if you shoot a 9mm or a .45, so shoot 9mm to save $$.
    My last point is a recomendation. Look at the M&P line of pistols. They are vary popular with USPSA shooters (i have 2). You can rework the trigger to get it down to 2lbs and it shoots FAST

(Mifflin County)

If you want to shoot 9mm, I'd recommend staying in Production. So buy whatever gun you like, that's Production approved. Unless you can make Major power factor, you're at a competitive disadvantage in any other class.

While it is possible to load 9mm hot enough to make Major, it's not for the inexperienced reloader, and I've heard it can be hard on equipment.

If I were going to shoot Open class, I'd get a purpose built "race gun" probably in .38 Super. You're not going to do that cheaply, though.

For something in between, I'd probably run my favorite "off the shelf" .40 in Limited.

Whichever route you choose, If you're planning on shooting USPSA and Steel, I hope you're reloading, and/or have a huge ammo budget.

(Indiana County)

I ended up using a Para P-14 and would suggest a gun in .45 cal.

I started out using a Beretta 92 and found that even though the steel targets were supposed to be "calibrated" for 9mm, I sometimes needed multiple hits before a plate would fall.

I then went to a G22 to overcome the lack of power the 9mm had but could just not get used to using it for matches. Target shooting on the weekends was fine, but during matches, I just couldn't get it to cooperate.

I then found a used P14 that another shooter was looking to get rid of. Just a basic stocker that I had a gunsmith friend tune up. I added some sights and used it until I had to quit due to health reasons.

As for the .45 ammo, you really need to find a progressive press or find someone to load for you though. I used cast bullets and surplus powder, loaded mildly, the brass will last for many many loadings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast