Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Kahr PM9 Stainless slide rusting? Refinishing options?

I just picked up a Kahr PM9 last week and it shows some slight surface rust. I heard its normal since Kahr uses a cheap stainless steel.

I was wondering what are some decent finishes for SS? The person I use for duracoat is down for the summer, so I was looking at other, maybe better, options that duracoat?

Maybe even local?

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Kahr PM9 Stainless slide rusting? Refinishing options?

so let me get this straight...kahr (being as expensive IMO as they are) sold you a presumably new product that has surface rust on a stainless slide? I would give kahr a ring....
    S&W M&P40c, Sig P238 SAS-.380, Ruger mkIII .22, Thinking about a new sig 938.....

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by wishIhada5.0 View Post
    so let me get this straight...kahr (being as expensive IMO as they are) sold you a presumably new product that has surface rust on a stainless slide? I would give kahr a ring....
    The rust is a result of my handling the slide.

There are tiny "freckles" of light rust spots. From reviews, I head its normal considering the steel grade they use. Either way I'll give them a call.

(Westmoreland County)

Kahr is a really nice piece in general...its a shame that thats the "norm" ...you should be able to handle it as much as you want...definitely give em a call ad see what they say
    S&W M&P40c, Sig P238 SAS-.380, Ruger mkIII .22, Thinking about a new sig 938.....

That's interesting, I've had my kahr for over 2 years and there isn't any at all. And it gets carried almost everywhere so I know theres humidity that gets to it from being against my body for hours at a time.

Anyway, have you tried any rust remover before doing anything drastic? You can get a bottle in the gun cleaning section of your local store for $5. I would call Kahr either way but check into the rust remover too.

(Montgomery County)

Kahr is a really nice piece in general...its a shame that thats the "norm" ...you should be able to handle it as much as you want...definitely give em a call ad see what they say
    There answer was its probably surface dust, which it is not. Then I told him its definitely not dust. I was reccommended that I keep it cleaned and well oiled and that if the rust persists/returns that I should return the slide to the factory, but the finish is not covered under warranty. They said they could see what they could do but not sure if they could do anything about it.

As polite as the CS rep was I was really disappointed by that response. For its price point, I agree that I should be able to handle it as much as I want without having to worry that it will rust on me.

But I really like the ergonmics of it over the LCP, so I am just going to pony up for have it refinished and just steer clear of Kahr's stainless steel in the future. If I had known this was an issue, I would ahve paid the extra $40 for the "Diamond" finish

I prefer the coating as it will be more resistant to rusting.
    Last edited by FJR86; May 27th, 2011 at 12:15 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

the slide on my 238 is the bare stainless (SAS) and if it ever even showed the slightest sign of any corrosion the phones at sig would be glowing red with my calls...no way at this price point should you see the defects that you are...dont buy the "its normal" shit or that they cant do anything about it...they can send you a new slide..period.

(Berks County)

I wouldn't call one case reported here as "the norm".

I've had an all-stainless frame/slide MK9 for over three years, I carry it almost every day, and I have not a spot of rust on it to date. And I'm not one to oil it all the time; I keep it clean, but I don't go nuts. The only thing I've had a problem with are the grip screws, but I consider that minor.

I would be as upset as the OP if this had happened to me, and I admit their response kinda stinks, but let's not make false generalizations over an incident which could be isolated, or at least in the minority.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Lancaster County)

Was the gun new when you purchased it?
    How old is it?
    Got any pics of the rust?

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    I wouldn't call one case reported here as "the norm".

I've had an all-stainless frame/slide MK9 for over three years, I carry it almost every day, and I have not a spot of rust on it to date. And I'm not one to oil it all the time; I keep it clean, but I don't go nuts. The only thing I've had a problem with are the grip screws, but I consider that minor.

I would be as upset as the OP if this had happened to me, and I admit their response kinda stinks, but let's not make false generalizations over an incident which could be isolated, or at least in the minority.
    CR, speaking the truth.

My K40 Covert is probably pushing 20 years old, I oil and use a silicone rag maybe once a month. I carry sweaty iwb everyday, my steel looks good.

FWIW I still want a PM9.
    Last edited by rwb1500; May 27th, 2011 at 06:32 PM.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast