Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default 2013 Dirt Pig hunting

Haven't seen anyone post about this years season, so I'll get the ball rolling.

Been hunting my friends parents land as they are more than infested. Their field has 2 sections and they wanted me to stick to the one side first since thats where their buildings are. In one tree line aprox 225 yards long I counted 27 holes.

In 4 trips, I've been successful on 3 (5 chucks total) of them. Taken them from 125 out to 235 with with my .308 (yes its overkill, but I love shooting the gun and its absurdly accurate) and these suckers are HUGE, by looks alone probably weighing in over 20lbs. We have visually seen at least 5 more (it was a Sunday, so of course they were all out at the same time) then we will be going to the other side.

(York County)

Default Re: 2013 Dirt Pig hunting

you makin me jealous for the time to lay in the hay. killin a chuck with 130 grain 308 is old habit to me. best gun for it was an old remington 600 that would turn dimes into donuts with H335 under 130 hornady seated out. glass bedding the action and free floating the soda straw barrel made it a dead on cold shot gun...

(Franklin County)

If they're "huge", probably females about to drop new ones. Typically not really fat this time of year - although it doesn't matter.

27 holes should be at least 10, up to 14-ish hogs, assuming you found all the holes. Lots more entertainment value in that field... timing is everything.

(Bucks County)

Boy, that sounds fun! Best of luck. Get some good pictures to add to the post.
    "The chair is against the wall, John has a long mustasche"

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Posit View Post
    If they're "huge", probably females about to drop new ones. Typically not really fat this time of year - although it doesn't matter.

27 holes should be at least 10, up to 14-ish hogs, assuming you found all the holes. Lots more entertainment value in that field... timing is everything.
    I think they are just old and fat, the first one I took had patchy fur like it was old/diseased. No one has even taken a shot at a dirt pig on this property in atleast 6-7 years. We defiently have been having a lot of fun, and look forward to many more night shoots. Almost dont want to shoot more than 1 or 2 a day so we can stretch it out all summer and have left overs for next year!

I do have a pic or 2 but not sure if I should be posting images of the carcasses.

(York County)

So far I've got 7. Below are the pics and groups with my gun. The two higher right groups are before the sight adjustment of the lower two.

Last edited by Arch007er; June 2nd, 2013 at 06:11 PM.
    "Skin that'n pilgrim, and I'll git ya another"

(Wayne County)

Arch007er nice looking rig great groups and better than the pink one. What you been doing lurking?

Quote Originally Posted by Arch007er View Post
    So far I've got 7. Below are the pics and groups with my gun. The two higher right groups are before the sight adjustment of the lower two. Also I posted a link below to an older vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XFEOtcvd7k
    It's good to see you back Archer. Your rifle looks great, and the scope and stock are magnificent. It's always nice when some groups accompany the rifle as well. I enjoyed the video, especially since you could see some trace. Did you notice that at the 5:18 mark or so, some parts of either the bullet or the animal hit the tree behind and to the left of it. I always enjoy your posts, and look forward to seeing you around.

(York County)

Thanks for the compliments fellas. I'm always lurking around, just waiting for the right thread to strike. And that damn rifle was not pink, it was maroon at best but man did that thing hammer groundhogs. I am however very pleased with the wood gun, I've been shooting this gun for a little over a year now (in a few different calibers) and I really like it.

Tom; thanks for pointing that out about the possible ricochet and no I did not notice that one. That rifle was pushing the 80gr. Nosler ballistic tips which did have a tendency to blow through a hog (obviously I had to choose my shots much more delicately) but no I never noticed that one before. It did however look to be going very slow, not that it would matter much because of the good background behind that hog also like you said that it could have been a chunk of the ground hog hitting the leaves, but it was still a concern. Thanks for pointing that out. I've since switched guns and bullets but even the 70gr. Noslers that I'm shooting now have the same concern so I still have to make sure I'm making a good shot as I (well anyone for that matter) would even without the possible exit of the jacket.
    "Skin that'n pilgrim, and I'll git ya another"

(Monroe County)

I wish they were out where I can hunt them with the .223 or .17 but lately all the hogs I've seen have been playing dead in the roads.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast