Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default new to the site and to reloading. input wanted

im new to the site and to reloading and im about to purchace a dpms .223 in the next few days and was looking for some input on reloading. im looking in to a hornady lock-n-load press. i chose this press because of the great reviews on midway and ive watched a few videos on different press's others had and seems like this is a really good one. now im wondering what are some other goodies that must go with it?

wheres a good place to buy brass, bullets,powder and primers. i dont mind if i have to buy in bulk i was thinking of 1,000 brass to start. ive checked a few sites for brass and im awaiting replys. im going to be using this gun for target practice and coyote . so whats the going price for 1000pcs of brass? whats everyone using for powder, bullets and primers along with some prices. im sure theres lots more im leaving out so feel fee to chime in.
    thanks

(Delaware County)

Default Re: new to the site and to reloading. input wanted

a lot of people like berry's for bullets (not sure how their selection is for .223). I buy powder locally because it's cheaper than paying for shipping and I believe there is a hazmat charge to ship powder. as for brass, you might be able to buy once fired brass from your local shops or from the classifieds on this forum here.

http://www.berrysmfg.com/
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
    a lot of people like berry's for bullets (not sure how their selection is for .223). I buy powder locally because it's cheaper than paying for shipping and I believe there is a hazmat charge to ship powder. as for brass, you might be able to buy once fired brass from your local shops or from the classifieds on this forum here.

http://www.berrysmfg.com/
    thanks ill check at a local store (local being 35mi one way lol)

(Indiana County)

I know someone had 1,000 pcs of .223 once fired brass in the forum classifieds a few days ago for $55 which is a great deal. If you buy new unfired brass it can run you anywhere from $20 for 100pcs to nearly $100 for 100pcs. You can find military once fired brass for about $109 for 1000pcs but it needs a good cleaning. Another way to go is go to aimsurplus.com and they have a lot of good deals on .223 ammo I just ordered 1000 rounds of PMC Bronze for $279 kept all of the brass from it and started reloading from there. Depending on what type of bullet you want to reload bullets can cost anywhere from $100 for 1000 to about $300 for 1000. It's best to find a grain of bullet that works well with your rifle twist and then go to google shopping and type in that grain of bullet and see what comes up. If you are planning on hunting Hornady V-max bullets are great but if you plan on target shooting look for cheap bulk military fmj's I know wideners.com had a great selection on fmj's. As far as powder goes order that in bulk because the hazardous material shipping fee will get you if you order small amounts. Primers are usually really cheap you can get 1000 for about $27.

(Indiana County)

for .223 I use Varget or Reloader 15 I've had excellent results with both.

Quote Originally Posted by soccerbum87 View Post
    I know someone had 1,000 pcs of .223 once fired brass in the forum classifieds a few days ago for $55 which is a great deal. If you buy new unfired brass it can run you anywhere from $20 for 100pcs to nearly $100 for 100pcs. You can find military once fired brass for about $109 for 1000pcs but it needs a good cleaning. Another way to go is go to aimsurplus.com and they have a lot of good deals on .223 ammo I just ordered 1000 rounds of PMC Bronze for $279 kept all of the brass from it and started reloading from there. Depending on what type of bullet you want to reload bullets can cost anywhere from $100 for 1000 to about $300 for 1000. It's best to find a grain of bullet that works well with your rifle twist and then go to google shopping and type in that grain of bullet and see what comes up. If you are planning on hunting Hornady V-max bullets are great but if you plan on target shooting look for cheap bulk military fmj's I know wideners.com had a great selection on fmj's. As far as powder goes order that in bulk because the hazardous material shipping fee will get you if you order small amounts. Primers are usually really cheap you can get 1000 for about $27.
    its a dpms with the thick stainless steel barrel. im going to go get it today since it rained out this morn. it has a 1-9twist, what have ppl been shooting out of these that have had great results hunting or just target?

(Indiana County)

With my 1:9 barrels I've found 50grain-69grain works great thats in handloads though 55 grain commercial PMC Bronze has worked the best with 5.56 PMC X-tac 62 grain the 2nd best but thats for 5.56 chambered rifles.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Check the sticky at the top of the forum for places to get components.

A lot of nice folk have submitted a lot of sources.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Check the sticky at the top of the forum for places to get components.

A lot of nice folk have submitted a lot of sources.

Flash
    yes i did research the sticky after i posted this lol

Quote Originally Posted by soccerbum87 View Post
    With my 1:9 barrels I've found 50grain-69grain works great thats in handloads though 55 grain commercial PMC Bronze has worked the best with 5.56 PMC X-tac 62 grain the 2nd best but thats for 5.56 chambered rifles.
    so you have found reloading them yourself that 50-69 grain seem to be the most accurate? what brand of bullet and does the brass matter? i picked up 250 rounds of loaded LC brass when i bought the gun last nite. whats a good powder to use?
    thanks in advance
    Last edited by ryans0z28; May 28th, 2011 at 06:35 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast