Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock 17

Default Glock 17

well I posted this in the pistol section the other day and not a single response so it's here now.
    I didn't know if I should post here or the Comp section but my interest is more for the gun than the games,anyone shoot one for competition? I just got one from the great guys at Army/Navy, it was used but in excellent condition. I ordered a Lone Wolf 9mm Barrel cause I load lead, Hiviz green fiber optic front sight, and a Ghost Rocket connector. So far I have 3 mags and a Serpa without the button, it's the cheapie version but works great, I used it today at Topton and I will again tomorrow at Guthsville. I put about 200 through it today shooting steel and an IDPA target going 2-body 1-head, pretty nice gun I like it better than any other Glock I've owned and I had about 12 of them including 4-19's. I still need to pick up some mag holders but any recommendations for IDPA/IPSC/USPSA/GSSF. I would like to shoot them all but being a rookie to this I just want to have fun and not go balls out yet, next year I'll dangle 'em.

(Cumberland County)

Smile Re: Glock 17

i did ipsc a few times to try it out, used a glock 17 and was surprised i could hold my own with other shooters. i'm making this statement since i had no previous experiences in these types of shooting. my sugestion is to show up with what is considered to to be the minimal needed to compete. be observant as to what the experienced shooters are using as far as equiptment then make your decisions based on observations and new found experience as to what you want(need) to compete on a level field. talking to the other shooters is a good idea in itself, remember there are no stupid questions if you don't know the answer. information = power. have fun ,be safe keep trying. red dog

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Glock 17

I shoot a 17
    Production class in USPSA
    SSP in IDPA

so.... what exactly is your question ?

[QUOTE=Shawn.L;1611643]I shoot a 17
    SSP in IDPA

so.... what exactly is your question ?[/QUOTE]

This.. I'm really not sure what your question is? You can be competitive in any of the above with a G17. I shoot one and haven't been able to justify the $600 to pick up a G34 yet. Probably the most reliable Glock out there and totally reliable. Not one fail in about 15k rounds on mine. One suggestion would be to add the extended mag release and slide stop and see if you like it better, for about $20-$30 you can't go wrong.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    I shoot a 17
    SSP in IDPA

so.... what exactly is your question ?
    [QUOTE=Yoder;1611677]
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    I shoot a 17
    SSP in IDPA

so.... what exactly is your question ?[/QUOTE]

This.. I'm really not sure what your question is? You can be competitive in any of the above with a G17. I shoot one and haven't been able to justify the $600 to pick up a G34 yet. Probably the most reliable Glock out there and totally reliable. Not one fail in about 15k rounds on mine. One suggestion would be to add the extended mag release and slide stop and see if you like it better, for about $20-$30 you can't go wrong.
    well I posted this in the pistol section the other day and not a single response so it's here now.
    I didn't know if I should post here or the Comp section but my interest is more for the gun than the games,anyone shoot one for competition? I just got one from the great guys at Army/Navy, it was used but in excellent condition. I ordered a Lone Wolf 9mm Barrel cause I load lead, Hiviz green fiber optic front sight, and a Ghost Rocket connector. So far I have 3 mags and a Serpa without the button, it's the cheapie version but works great, I used it today at Topton and I will again tomorrow at Guthsville. I put about 200 through it today shooting steel and an IDPA target going 2-body 1-head, pretty nice gun I like it better than any other Glock I've owned and I had about 12 of them including 4-19's. I still need to pick up some mag holders but any recommendations for IDPA/IPSC/USPSA/GSSF. I would like to shoot them all but being a rookie to this I just want to have fun and not go balls out yet, next year I'll dangle 'em.

I was looking for recommendations for a good holster to use, thanks.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money check out Fobus. I have a cheap Kydex holster and a set of dual mag pouches that have served me well. Been using them about 3 yrs no problems. The retention is decent, never had a problem with gun coming out unexpectedly. They are also fast. Not great for concealed carry but really go for competition. Anything leather can be a little slower until broken in. I had a set or really nice leather mag pouches that I really hate. They were a little sticky to get the mag out.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Don't carry a Fobus for CCW. I have seen videos where someone rips the entire holster right off of the hip of someone wearing one.

Search on you tube.

A gun like a Glock demands a proper retention holster.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    Don't carry a Fobus for CCW. I have seen videos where someone rips the entire holster right off of the hip of someone wearing one.

Search on you tube.

A gun like a Glock demands a proper retention holster.
    I thought the OP was asking about G17 gear for comp., not CCW?

I advise against Fobus and the like for CCW also, but for a comp. setup, where speed & accessibility trump retention & concealment, I don't see the concern, personally...

OMO.

Regards,

Bones

It was a general point about Fobus holsters. I know a lot of people CCW with them.

(Allegheny County)

as far as what games to play, just find matches close to you, or preferably ones where you know people, and GO SHOOT. thats all, just try it out. If you where near Pgh I could tell you more or you could squad up with me and some gusy for a match... but your not, and I have no clue where Lehigh valley is or what its near.

As for gear, well, just take what you got to the match, the important part is that you GO SHOOT and not so much buy stuff. So long as you have a safe holster and some mag pouches youll be fine, for USPSA expect to carry 4-5 mags on the belt, for IDPA 2.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast