Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Worn out/broken holsters

I know holsters are an important part of carrying openly or concealed.

I carry a Glock 32 and a Kahr P9 Covert.

The holsters I have for these pistols (and a couple other pistols)are Galco leather belt slide. I have one for my Glock and another for a S&W Model 66 revolver.

My first Glock holster was a cheap Fobus paddle holster (of which I have 2 right hand and not too long ago bought a left hand.) I went to a fanny pack and then a Sidearmor 4th Gen IWB

The Kahr has a Kytac Pockit Lockit, a Desantis ankle holster and a Lou Alessi ankle holster. I recently bought a Mitch Rosen IWB leather holster.

My Colt 1911 has a cheap unknown it came with and a Blade tech OWB.

Now to the point:

The first holster failure I had, was the fanny pack zipper working open. I dropped my Glock pistols about 6 or 7 times before shitcanning it and getting the sidearmor.

A Fobus holster started to crack at one of the rivets so I shitcanned it.

The Desantis Apache ankle holster for the Kahr is very comfortable but it has streched to the point I can no longer use it. I now use the Mitch Rosen IWB mostly.

The Sidearmor holster broke when I dropped it. I am looking for a replacement. Sidearmor stopped making this one 2 yrs ago and can't do anything for me as far as replacement parts.

How many of you have used holsters to the point they were no longer servicable or have just stopped using a piece of holster /mag pouch related equipment to upgrade and what happened to the old stuff?

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Worn out/broken holsters

have you ever tried shrinking you leather holsters?it could save you alot of money.
    "Where would man be without his rights, weapons, and beasts." -me

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by glockbull View Post
    have you ever tried shrinking you leather holsters?it could save you alot of money.

I have no problem with the fit of the leather holsters I have nor have any of these failed in any way.

They (Galcos) are belt slide holsters and are pretty much range specific as i don't carry the revolver. The Glock leather is just inconvenient to put on and remove multiple times per day.

The Mitch Rosen also has not failed me and is my current IWB carry holster for my Kahr.

The problems I have had with holsters are outlined from where my post states "now to the point".

Thanks for the input. When I was a kid(50yrs ago) and my folks bought leather shoes that were a bit large, they would fill them with water and had me wear them all day. Essentially shrink to fit so I understand your suggestion.

27hand

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post

How many of you have used holsters to the point they were no longer servicable or have just stopped using a piece of holster /mag pouch related equipment to upgrade and what happened to the old stuff?

Hmm. I don't think I've had any failures except for one IWB "clip" breaking off a relatively cheap IWB holster...
    I typically do not buy cheap holsters. Maybe that's why...Some holster lines, like Fobus, are junk, IMO. I am not surprised to hear of the failures with them.
    During my typical weekday I CC. I have been wearing a Milt Sparks VM2 for more than 7 years now daily. It is in almost as good a shape as when I bought it. Discolored a bit (non service affecting) and the belt loops are just starting to shoe weakening at the tip of the loops. I guess in another year or two I'll have to pony up the $16-ish to get new loops

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post

How many of you have used holsters to the point they were no longer servicable .............
    Never.

"Holy Come Apart At the Seams" Batman!

It must be the heat generated by the friction from your blazing fast drawstroke.

I'd tell you to slow it down a bit but I know you wouldn't want to disappoint Phil.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    Never.

"Holy Come Apart At the Seams" Batman!

It must be the heat generated by the friction from your blazing fast drawstroke.

I'd tell you to slow it down a bit but I know you wouldn't want to disappoint Phil.
    Phil and I always tell each other to shoot faster and try as I might, I fall into his trap.

It's comical but ALL his fault.

You have never had the problem because you buy good stuff the first time. I should have taken your lead early on.