Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default What should I buy...need advise.

I will be buying a carry pistol within the next 7 or 8 months. I would be very thankful for info on any guns that fit the basic description that follows. I know it is a ways off but I like to do a lot of research on any major purchase. I will also be trying to get to a range and test any of the guns you great guys and gals suggest that peak my interest.
    The basics I am looking for are, under $500, 4'' or close barrel, full size or semi compact, decent fit and finish. Action is not very important, I plan to train with whatever I choose.
    I have done some checking on Rugers, Springfield's xd series, Taruses and Eaa's witness series. I don't like Glocks, nothing personal against them but they don't feel right in my hand.
    I am thinking 9mm or .45.
    Thank you in advance and lets keep this civil, I just need some honest oppinions not a ''No my gun is better" fest.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Default Re: What should I buy...need advise.

If I may be so bold as to suggest a Ruger SR9. 9MM. Very accurate and reliable, the light weight with even the 17 round magazines is very easy to carry. Ruger also makes a SR9c that is compact.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    If I may be so bold as to suggest a Ruger SR9. 9MM. Very accurate and reliable, the light weight with even the 17 round magazines is very easy to carry. Ruger also makes a SR9c that is compact.
    Thanks for starting it off Andy, I have been checking out some reviews on the SR9. It is on my list of potential buys.
    How does it conceal, I can conceal a decent sized gun. Is it accurate and reliable out of the box or does it need a breakin period?

(Cumberland County)

Wink Re: What should I buy...need advise.

go with a 9mm being a new shooter, if and when you become comfortable with that you can always go to a larger caliber. most of the guns you listed are good starting points. don't forget bersa, they have some nice features are well made and inexspensive compared to your other choices. start shopping now get your hands on the different models and makes out there and narrow your list. then try to shoot the last 2 or 3 choices. one should stand out making your decision for you. don't let the sales people talk you into anything all you want are the facts, features ect. on the model you are looking at. good luck shopping, get professional training and most of all have fun. it's a great hobby as well as having a practicle purpose. see you at the range red dog

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

If you are looking for prices and other comparitive information, go to whichgun.com.
    ...and they have a plan...

(Chester County)

S&W 500 All the way man.... Go big or go home.

In all seriousness though.... Do as you plan... Fondle as many as possible and shoot as many as you can. You'll know when it feels right in your hand. Start with the 9mm guns first. 45's can be a bit intimidating for new shooters.

Also... How much shooting experience do you have? I apologize in advance if you're an experienced shooter.
    Μολὼν λάβε

This was tough decision for me. I wen't through a lot of trial and error before I found what worked for me and spent too much money in the process.

I would suggest keeping it light, compact and technically simple. The Ruger SR9c or the Springer XD9c would both be great choices. I suggest 9mm only because of the weight difference. If you go big heavy and it's too big and heavy, you've just spent $500 on a gun you won't want to carry.

(Delaware County)

I forgot to explain in my orginal post that I am not a new shooter. I have actually had guns for about 12 years. I am just switching to a pistol after carrying a S&W model 10 off and on for the last 11 years. I have shot both 9mm and .45 calabre at the range many times. I am better with a 9mm but can keep .45 in center mass.

(Tioga County)

I have a Springfield XD9 w/4" barrel, my wife has a S&W M&P9c. Both are well-made and shoot easily. For a carry gun I'd go with the M&P if you don't mind a slightly smaller magazine, other wise they are pretty much equal.

--Phil

(Bucks County)

i think you should look at the kel tec light shoots well never had a prob with mine i have a 32 but that make a great 380 or a 9mm for size is very nice to conceal .and very good priced .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast