Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default LTCF Application Report, Souderton PA

Just wanted to throw my two cents into the mix. I recently applied for my LTCF. I live in Souderton PA. I dropped my police check thing off at the police station on a Thursday morning. An officer dropped it off at my house the following Tuesday when I wasn't home. He left it with my roommate. Not really sure how I feel about them driving to my home to deliver it. It was five days from drop off which isn't bad. Two days after receiving the police check card I went down to Norristown with my step father who also was getting his license. We went downstairs to the sheriffs office. No wait. No hassle. Walked out with the licenses in about 20 min. I was surprised. Oh and it was only $20.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: LTCF Application Report, Souderton PA

Some people might be paranoid...but I called that customer service. I used to live in that town...still has that small town feel to a point. The police chief used to be this HUGE fat ass....but he was a crack shot with that .38 he carried.

I'd be curious if you had any experiences that might prompt you to believe that this delivery was anything more than the "serve" part of "Serve and Protect."

(Berks County)

So he dropped off this form, completed, with your room mate?

http://sheriff.montcopa.org/sheriff/...45054cd58d.pdf

Was it in an envelope or anything, or did he just give your roommate a piece of paper with your information on it?

EDIT:

http://sheriff.montcopa.org/sheriff/...0cd117ffbf.pdf

So much for the new sheriff doing away with the local check card. Too much to hope for I guess.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by kiltedguard View Post
    Some people might be paranoid...but I called that customer service. I used to live in that town...still has that small town feel to a point. The police chief used to be this HUGE fat ass....but he was a crack shot with that .38 he carried.

I'd be curious if you had any experiences that might prompt you to believe that this delivery was anything more than the "serve" part of "Serve and Protect."
    I agree it does have a small town feel to a point. I myself have had no personal dealings with the police dept. (Except for watching them run the stop sign near my house ALL THE TIME, and they even have those signs that say "a rolling stop is not a stop. Its a $109.50 stop") There is nothing that prompts me to believe it was anything more than to "serve" as you put it. Although the pessimist in me wants to believe he wanted to meet me due to me being so young, I'm 26.

To answer the other question. The officer handed my check form to my roommate in a sealed envelope. He wasn't 100% sure it was the form, although we are good friends so he figured that's what it was and sent me a text message to inform me.

All and all I can't really complain to much. The check form was pretty quick ( dropped off on a thursday afternoon, and delivered Tuesday afternoon.) It was one trip to Norristown (which I carpooled with my stepfather), 15 minutes in and out and only $20.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Studley View Post
    I agree it does have a small town feel to a point. I myself have had no personal dealings with the police dept. (Except for watching them run the stop sign near my house ALL THE TIME, and they even have those signs that say "a rolling stop is not a stop. Its a $109.50 stop") There is nothing that prompts me to believe it was anything more than to "serve" as you put it. Although the pessimist in me wants to believe he wanted to meet me due to me being so young, I'm 26.

To answer the other question. The officer handed my check form to my roommate in a sealed envelope. He wasn't 100% sure it was the form, although we are good friends so he figured that's what it was and sent me a text message to inform me.

All and all I can't really complain to much. The check form was pretty quick ( dropped off on a thursday afternoon, and delivered Tuesday afternoon.) It was one trip to Norristown (which I carpooled with my stepfather), 15 minutes in and out and only $20.
    Well you were subjected to an arbitrary requirement, very likely an illegal one, and inconvenienced for it.

If "to serve" means to subject to extra scrutiny beyond what the law requires, and to inconvenience and delay the approval of the exercise of a fundamental right then I sure as hell don't want to experience what "to protect" is interpreted as.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronSight View Post
    Well you were subjected to an arbitrary requirement, very likely an illegal one, and inconvenienced for it.

If "to serve" means to subject to extra scrutiny beyond what the law requires, and to inconvenience and delay the approval of the exercise of a fundamental right then I sure as hell don't want to experience what "to protect" is interpreted as.
    Point taken, but in all fairness, the blame is on the Sheriff's Office in this instance, not the local PD.
    Keep perspective, recognize the good in your enemies and the bad in your friends.
    "--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein, Revolt in 2100

Remember what happened on the Twilight Zone when the aliens were here To Serve Man.