Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Taurus PT940 (aquired used): Works/shoots Fine, But Would You Send This To Taurus?

First, I have to say that I'm very impressed with the gun, despite what we sometimes hear about Taurus products. A serial number check via their web site reveals this was made in the 2000 production year, and it shoots great, sights are perfect, and I was very accurate with the (IMO) "snappy" .40 S&W factory rounds. Felt recoil isn't bad at all. The trigger has quite a bit of travel before it drops the hammer, but once it does, it's a "crisp" action (not mushy), and well, heck, it's just a nice gun. So, my initial thoughts are/were: "Hey, not bad at all, and buying this used at the price I got it for, was probably a good way to check out a Taurus."

But, if everything was perfect, I wouldn't be posting this. Check out the picture of the inside of the frame, and the gouge at the top of the photo. Is this something you'd worry about? I figure it could have been that way for years without causing an issue, or it might be the reason the original owner dumped the gun. Would you consider it a hazard/safety concern? Would you take advantage of Taurus' lifetime warranty on the gun and ship it to them?
    Thanks!

"I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

Default Re: Taurus PT940 (aquired used): Works/shoots Fine, But Would You Send This To Taurus

I would not worry about it. It looks like it may have been dropped and landed on something at that spot. Check for cracks around the chips (looks like a large one and a small one). That is a beefy area of the gun and it can take a lot. If there are no cracks, then you should be ok.

Default Re: Taurus PT940 (aquired used): Works/shoots Fine, But Would You Send This To Taurus

I used to like all my guns to look perfect, but I kinda have gotten into that post-apocolyptic thing where everything looks battered, but still works. Now, I chisel up my guns and scrape them on my driveway to get that effect. Happy shooting.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    I used to like all my guns to look perfect, but I kinda have gotten into that post-apocolyptic thing where everything looks battered, but still works. Now, I chisel up my guns and scrape them on my driveway to get that effect. Happy shooting.
    The guitar makers (most notably Fender) make a fortune doing just that to their instruments. They call it a "relic" model and charge extra for it.

Thanks for the comments. There's no other damage anywhere or anything that looks "blast" related, so I think I'm good to go. Always nice to have a second opinion though.
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Delaware County)

If it were me I would probably have a trusted gunsmith look at it and then make my decision on sending it back of not.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

What does the bottom of the barrel, just about the chamber area, look like?

Having a picture of the mating part would add depth to the discussion.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    What does the bottom of the barrel, just about the chamber area, look like?

Having a picture of the mating part would add depth to the discussion.

Flash
    Hey Flash, good idea. Thanks for offering to look a bit closer. Here are a few pics that I hope will help. I see no other damage anywhere.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

From the look of it, it would appear that there is nothing in the mating piece (the bottom of the barrel, under the chamber) that would have made that mark. It is probably from some mishandling while disassembled. If the gun functions properly, I don't think I'd worry too much about it.

Of course, not having seen it in hand and up close, that is "internet speculation". But if you don't see anything that would have made that mark, I'd feel comfortable with it.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    From the look of it, it would appear that there is nothing in the mating piece (the bottom of the barrel, under the chamber) that would have made that mark. It is probably from some mishandling while disassembled. If the gun functions properly, I don't think I'd worry too much about it.

Of course, not having seen it in hand and up close, that is "internet speculation". But if you don't see anything that would have made that mark, I'd feel comfortable with it.

Flash
    Thanks again. I appreciate you having a look (remotely) and the disclaimer. Even up close and personal, I see nothing internal that would account for the mark. So, I'll keep an eye on it to confirm that no cracks radiate from the mark that's there now. If no further problems, I'll just hang on to it and shoot it.

(Butler County)

It appears at the grip end of the gouge the metal has been pushed up. If so is there any sign of wear on the slide from it? If there is a burr you might want to file it down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast